Thread Ettiquite

I just posted a thread on a site geared toward Hi Powers. I described the gun and stated I was looking for an aproximate value. I stated I was told the gun was a collector piece and I was not a collector. I then stated that the gun was going o be for sale in mass, which was the reason I was looking for the value. When I checked back 25 min later looking for replies I was banned and the reason given was that I didn't post the thread in the for sale section, Therefore I was banned for life. Is this justfied? Am I wrong?

My bad

I just rcvd email from site manager with the section of the rules that states where I went wrong. I guess the moral of the story is read the fine print. Iussually skim the forum rules which basically say don't be a jerk. Have to pay more attention I guess. This was actually my first post with them and I think I was banned within warned within 30 min, banned within 30 min 30secs and recvd a reply to my appeal by morn. If nothing else they are efficient

We'd never ban somebody over an honest mistake. Plus, what you posted doesn't sound like a classified. We have people post stuff like that all the time.

overzealous

Somewhere on this site, though I can't find it quickly is a well written description of thread etiquette.

I think you will get a good answer to your Hi-Power question on
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com.

They have a 'what's it's worth section'

My '08 Price Guide, which doesn't list a lot of specific variations says:
NIB $750 Exc. $500 V.G. $400
Spur hammers are $50 more than the round hammer.

If you don't have any luck on the web, there is a high end firearm auction house in Maine, 'Julia' maybe?
If you brought it there they will probably give you a verbal ball-park price for free and charge you something for an official, as in for insurance purposes written estimate.

Bill
ps: BTW what HP do you have?

Last edited:
I just rcvd email from site manager with the section of the rules that states where I went wrong. I guess the moral of the story is read the fine print. Iussually skim the forum rules which basically say don't be a jerk. Have to pay more attention I guess. This was actually my first post with them and I think I was banned within warned within 30 min, banned within 30 min 30secs and recvd a reply to my appeal by morn. If nothing else they are efficient

Welcome to NES, troda! [wave]

One of the reasons that I like NES is the way the forum is moderated. I lurked for a while before registering/joining to see how problem posts were handled. I knew that I'd eventually screw up somehow and I wanted to see what would happen.

IMHO, what happened to you on the other site was extreme. If there were no other issues, simply moving your post, along with a PM explaining why, should have sufficed. Perhaps the mod who banned you was just having a bad day, or was running out of patience after dealing with thousands of problem posts, but in any event it was over the top. Getting banned for a misplaced post??? I guess that's their version of "zero tolerance." [wink]

Enjoy your stay here....and make damn sure you follow the [rules]! [laugh]

Some people that are online admins like to power trip. They're most likely making up for some lack of anatomy [wink] Too many rules and overbearing rules are a good sign of this. IMO I think general "don't be a dick" rules cover most everything.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks all. Was kinda pissed at first now I'm at the chuckling stage. Talk about taking it a bit seriously.
I'll leave the site anonymous, Don't want to be the cause of a Cyber War.[wink]

Sure seems that every site has some weirdness.
When i had a harley, i was amazed how aggressive and full of themselves some people were on one particular site.

I gotta say, when I came on this website, I was amazed how pompous, arrogant and rude "scrivener" was. Never read anybody who thought they were so much damn smarter than everyone else in the world.
I was intimidated to get "scriv'd" myself however. [sad2]

ace57

There are a few 'zero-tolerance' forums out there.
I was similarly blind-sided when I asked the same question on 1911.com a few years ago.
It seems that asking for the value of a gun is not allowed because you might be attempting to sell it in violation of the rules.

No soup for you.[rofl]

BTW, I was so scared by the warning and 90 days super-secret probation that I never dared to go back.[laugh]

Jack

Sure seems that every site has some weirdness. When i had a harley, i was amazed how aggressive and full of themselves some people were on one particular site. I gotta say, when I came on this website, I was amazed how pompous, arrogant and rude "scrivener" was. Never read anybody who thought they were so much damn smarter than everyone else in the world. I was intimidated to get "scriv'd" myself however. [sad2] ace57
Can't really speak for anyone else but I've had a string of Harleys. My wife and I enjoy riding, and yes, I do love the V-Twins. Can't really relate to the so-called "image" of the biker. I ride, we ride, and we enjoy. Do not belong to a MC club. I would not (did not) enjoy being part of a "ride" that includes 50-60 or more bikes. Have been on a couple of rides (charity fund raisers) that had more than 90 bikes participating. It was not fun or enjoyable. Grin, there's enough hazards on the road without having to worry about who is near you (in a group), and how they handle their machine. Still have an FLHTC, and my wife and I will enjoy it as time and weather permits. Grin, given our "global warming" snow, the bike will probably just sit until spring. No problem. Before all the crappy weather started, made sure of a fresh oil/filter change, fresh gas w/stabilizer, and have it hooked perpetually to a "battery tender". Whenever Spring comes along, I'll be ready to go.[wink]

BTW, I was so scared by the warning and 90 days super-secret probation that I never dared to go back.[laugh]

Jack

Which would seem to be counter productive, at least to me. I don't think that too many people make a fortune running forum websites, but if you want to keep yours alive and running, you shouldn't be running people off for unintentional infractions of the rules.

The moderation here is for the most part pretty light handed. There is a pretty decent balance between letting people speak their mind and keeping things from getting nasty and out of hand.

At least I think so.

Which would seem to be counter productive, at least to me. I don't think that too many people make a fortune running forum websites, but if you want to keep yours alive and running, you shouldn't be running people off for unintentional infractions of the rules.

The moderation here is for the most part pretty light handed. There is a pretty decent balance between letting people speak their mind and keeping things from getting nasty and out of hand.

At least I think so.

A lot of the forums are set up to be private clubs for the forum owner and his cronies. They often don't suffer strangers gladly.[rolleyes]
The worst of the bunch is rumored to be GBO, where you can expect to get the boot if you disagree with the owner or his pals on any subject, no matter how politely.

OTOH, there are a number of really nice places like Paco Kelly's leverguns forum where folks will do anything possible to help a newbie and all but the most grevious and deliberate infractions of the rules are dealt with politely.

I have nearly a dozen forums that I visit regularly that are filled with friends that I have not met yet.[smile]

Jack

Yeah, but you're like, the head crony. Much more powerful than a regular crony. More like a sub-boss, like the Russian guy from the chopper that Rambo killed in RamboIII.

Back
Top Bottom