• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on Keltec KSG?

John2006

NES Member
Hey All,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Keltec KSG and was wondering what those who own/have shot one think of it. The reviews of the later models have all been pretty solid and I figured it's probably only a matter of time before either MA or the Feds eventually ban it...

Thanks,
John

I bought one a few months ago, with a red dot, Magpul RVG, and reduced recoil slugs it is a blast to shoot. The bullpup design is really compact.

Chris

Cool gun. Not worth the $1000 when you can buy an 870 on Mossberg 500 for less than half that.

If you have the money and you want something nice, buy it.

If the price wasn't ridiculous and finding one in stock wasn't as rare as a million dollar scratch ticket I'd have one.

I've shot one at the last car shoot .
Recoil is different then my 100$mosberg . Not worse but different my teeth felt weird after.

If I had the cash to blow I'd buy one in a heart beat, but if some one broke in to my house if go for a normal pump gun.

There's one at Blue Northern, asking price is $949.00.

I would have walked out with it on Thur at that price if I didn't have a current project to finish.

Putting my name down for the next one.

I really like BN for not going FR on prices.

There's one at Blue Northern, asking price is $949.00.

I would have walked out with it on Thur at that price if I didn't have a current project to finish.

Putting my name down for the next one.

I really like BN for not going FR on prices.

I agree with you. That is closest that I have ever seen one in a shop to actual msrp. Most try to scalp them at $1500+ either in their store, or just flip them right onto gunstroker.

If the price wasn't ridiculous and finding one in stock wasn't as rare as a million dollar scratch ticket I'd have one.

I guess that goes for me too, although I'm not even sure I'd buy it at $700.

I wouldn't use it for HD anyways, I'll take my 500 any day of the week.

I guess that goes for me too, although I'm not even sure I'd buy it at $700.

I wouldn't use it for HD anyways, I'll take my 500 any day of the week.

I agree with you on all counts, but what makes it very appealing to me is the super compact nature it has without the need to go NFA. I think it is overpriced for what it is, but when you are pretty much the only game in town for a particular niche product, you can also demand a higher than average price and their demand proves that.

I have had one for a few months now. Found it on a whim and a reasonable price. I dont have anything bad to say about it and it is cool and havent had any failures with any loads put through it. I also will tell you i rank it third to my mossberg 590 and benelli super 90. You have a lot of shells but trust me you wouldnt be able to sustain fire on targets like you could with the other two because of how you have to load it. My mossberg has 8 round capacity, if i need more than that for a home invasion, i pissed the wrong people off. If I was in combat it's much easier to load and not take eyes off target. I use the benelli for fun on the range and what not. The ksg having no choke (you can buy an aftermarket one but it lengthens the gun obviously) gives is a very short effective range.Honestly I am back and forth every day about whether to throw it up on the classifieds. It's an attention getter and fun to show to your buddies and rare for the moment.

I have a utas and the ksg - I like the utas better for multiple reasons.

are the utas's jamming problems an urban legend now? I have had a few members tell me they haven't had any of that happening.

If you short shuck it you will have an issue, but that is the same with the ksg. The ksg is plenty small but to me it feels like a toy. I like the fact that you dont have to turn the utas upside-down to change the tubes the rounds are fed by. with the utas you can choose it to alterante or one or the other but you have 15 rounds of fire power no matter what without have to dick around when one side goes empty.

I have a KSG and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best pump action shottie out there and well worth the money. Others have already mentioned it, but it has a sick shell capacity, is very compact (NFA-like short without the hassle), is light and maneuverable, and comes with rails out of the box for mounting sights, optics, accessories.

The KSG is about the same length as an 870 or 500 with no stock, but you have one, which is necessary with a shotgun. Ergonomics, you can manipulate the safety easily from your shooting hand and switch tubes with your offhand without losing sight picture. Reloading is slow and requires practice if you don't want to flip it upside down, but can be done.

Here it is with Magpul MBUS, Magpul VFG, and an Enforcer muzzle brake. Yeah, an 870 and 500 are both fine pump action street howitzers, but they don't hold anything on the KSG...
photo (5).jpg

Last edited:
I have a KSG and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best pump action shottie out there and well worth the money. Others have already mentioned it, but it has a sick shell capacity, is very compact (NFA-like short without the hassle), is light and maneuverable, and comes with rails out of the box for mounting sights, optics, accessories.

Here it is with Magpul MBUS, Magpul VFG, and an Enforcer muzzle brake. Yeah, an 870 and 500 are both fine pump action street howitzers, but they don't hold anything on the KSG...
View attachment 73537

Agree - but the utas has the same capacity - rail - and and inset laser or flashlight if you want. See pic. (Plus breach choke) not sure it that is available for the ksg. I assume it is. either one is great fun!

102_0710.jpg

super cool guns. read blue northern has one for like $949. would own one if i wasn't so in love with my mossberg 590. i can put a knife on this pig.

Agree - but the utas has the same capacity - rail - and and inset laser or flashlight if you want. See pic. (Plus breach choke) not sure it that is available for the ksg. I assume it is. either one is great fun!

102_0710.jpg

Nice. The UTAS has the cool stagger load switch, which is nice. Saves a manual step with the KSG. Plenty of rail space on the KSG for a Surefire Scout or other tactical light. Take a look at the muzzle device on my pic... the enforcer is notched and can be used for breaching.

super cool guns. read blue northern has one for like $949. would own one if i wasn't so in love with my mossberg 590. i can put a knife on this pig.

If you're going to the pig roast and shoot in August, I'll bring the KSG and you can take her for a spin. Give you a hands on comparison to your mossberg. I had a Remington 870 and I can honestly say I don't miss it a bit after getting the KSG. The only downside is the damn recoil... being a bullpup and light, you get less muzzle flip and more straight back recoil. Everyone who has shot mine has walked away with serious bruises. I assume the UTAS is similar in that respect.

Last edited:
i've shot alfred's KSG but won't turn down shooting another one. [wink]

look for me by the NFA tables, i'm going to help out over there, maybe do a little shooting, not sure.

. being a bullpup and light, you get less muzzle flip and more straight back recoil. Everyone who has shot mine has walked away with serious bruises. I assume the UTAS is similar in that respect.

I shoot reduced recoil, 1 oz slugs 1100 to 1250 FPS, through mine and the recoil is very pleasant. Takes me 20 rounds to have enough whereas 5 rounds of the full power 1500 fps has me crying uncle at 5 rounds.

Chris

The only downside is the damn recoil... being a bullpup and light, you get less muzzle flip and more straight back recoil. Everyone who has shot mine has walked away with serious bruises. I assume the UTAS is similar in that respect.

Actually - no. The Utas surprised me by how little recoil I felt. I have a big old heavy Browning Over/Under and the Utas has less recoil.

I have no idea about the bad recoil on the KSG. I shoot 3" magnum slug shell all day long. I never bitch about recoil as I'm a recoil junkie.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

I have no idea about the bad recoil on the KSG. I shoot 3" magnum slug shell all day long. I never bitch about recoil as I'm a recoil junkie.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Lol. Thanks for making me look like a wuss on the machoest gun site in the northeast. [smile]

KSG is my preferred SG for HD now. There are pros and cons...

Pros:
1. Short and maneuverable, also nice when you sling it, it doesn't get in the way like a full length gun (example 590)
2. 14 rounds
3. Easy selection of left or right tube for shot or slugs. You can loosen the grip and use your thumb to select left or right tube. A little practice, and can do between shots without thinking about it.
4. Rails are standard issue

Cons
1. Without a cheek pad, it hurts after a few rounds.
2. Not as simple to load.
3. If your wrist is in the wrong spot when ejecting rounds, expect some bruises
4. Expensive to buy without a lucky deal.

You can get past the cons.
1. Buy a cheek pad. There's a kydex one available from Kel-Tec.
2. A little practice, you can load using fire grip hand to support, and trigger hand to feed in from underneath. Do it with action forward and it's rather simple.
3. I've got long forearms, so I have a tendency to bend my wrist backward when I shoulder it. That puts my wrist almost directly under the ejection port. My solution for now is an elbow pad worn forward and rotated up.
4. I got a lucky deal and got it cheap.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I am sitting here in front of the fire, sipping an Irish coffee and thinking about 1) all the things I am thankful for like 1) the KSG I bought from Acme this year and 2) the turkey pot pie my wife has in the oven that will be ready for the Pats game (I can't believe I am not sick of Turkey yet). As a mini review of the KSG, now that I have about 500 rounds through it, it is a rock solid platform. Loading it without flipping it over took some learning and there's some pain to the fingers if not careful, but if there are that many zombies you need to reload, dude you're screwed and should have a grenade or three. Other than that, the thing has been flawless and I barely have cleaned it. I have had a few bruises on the shoulder but that was me being stupid and rapid firing. I have an Eotech XPS2 mounted and 100 yard shots with magnum slugs are fun for the whole family! I have had others shoot it and no one has short shucked it, she likes being handled like a piece of meat, so don't be gentle. I am planning on shooting clays with it for the heck of it next weekend, if weather cooperates, was going to do it today but fagged out and sat my ass in front of the fire and opened the whiskey my brother brought to the house on Thanksgiving. Well, this concludes the mini fireside, turkey and bull pup shotgun review.

Last edited:
Good post yogi, completely agree. My KSG is my favorite firearm, lots of fun to shoot.

I've shot the UTS-15 as well, and while I like it too, the KSG still wins out for my taste. It's compactness just isn't matched by anything out there.

Back
Top Bottom