• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on deer population after this winter

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/2015/deer-deaths-032315.html

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department today reported that twelve deer were discovered dead in South Hampton, N.H., on March 20, 2015, most likely the victims of well-intentioned, but tragically fatal, supplemental feeding by local residents.
Two deer were brought to the University of New Hampshire (UNH) Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory for further analysis. Following a more detailed examination, the UNH Veterinary Diagnostic Lab concluded that evidence in the two deer examined was consistent with death due to enterotoxemia; a condition caused by a rapid change in diet often associated with winter feeding. Results from microscopic analysis are expected to help to further confirm this diagnosis.
Because deer are ruminants, they process food differently than other animals. They depend on microorganisms in their rumen (stomach) to aid in digestion. As a deer's diet naturally and gradually changes with the seasons, so do the microorganisms which are required to help digest those foods. This gradual change in microorganisms can take several weeks. A rapid transition from a high fiber diet of natural woody browse to human-provided foods high in carbohydrates can cause a rapid change in stomach chemistry, disrupting the microorganisms present. This can reduce the deer's ability to properly digest food and/or release toxins which are absorbed into the deer's system, and, in severe cases, can cause death.

I've seen many press releases where F&W discouraged feeding deer because of the way their diet changes with the seasons. But, I never fully understood in detail. This is really a great article and provides a thorough factual explanation.

Thanks for posting.

With the amount of information available with a few clicks, there is no excuse. Get some knowledge before you do something.

I saw a couple of small deer feeding 30 feet off the shoulder of 128/95 in Woburn Sunday afternoon at 3p.

With the amount of information available with a few clicks, there is no excuse. Get some knowledge before you do something.

Exactly. As much as I would like to "help" them during the winter I know it will cause more harm than good.

Side question: For anyone getting out into the woods around now, about how many inches of snow are out there? Thanks.

Walked out behind the house yesterday for the first time since all the big snow. I found tons of tracks and a couple good areas where the deer had farmed for quite a while. Lots and lots of fecal matter. Best thing is the trails they were using ended up being very well marked. They used to travel on the other side of the river but are now traveling on my side because of 3 new houses and poor hunters. I mean poor because across the river I found half a dozen stands set up 6-10' off the ground and right on the runs. I should thank those guys as I no longer have far to walk or the river to cross when setting up my stand. They are now passing right through my stand area!

On 495 south in Wrentham, there was a small herd of 5-6 that all got hit together, probably by a big rig.

They were in a group laying on the left median.

I had 5 deer walk the garden the other day. Plenty of tracks and droppings in the woods out back. There's a house down the road that have been feeding turkeys all winter. There's about 6 good size Toms that hang out there. Saw a lot of females earlier on in the winter but not now.

I walk with my dogs in the Westborough WMA 3-4 times a week in the early am.
I cant remember when I last saw a deer track, droppings or live whitetail. Usually very plentiful.
I don't know where they went but they aren't where they typically are.
No turkey sign either. Just fisher, fox and coyotes.

I walk with my dogs in the Westborough WMA 3-4 times a week in the early am.
I cant remember when I last saw a deer track, droppings or live whitetail. Usually very plentiful.
I don't know where they went but they aren't where they typically are.
No turkey sign either. Just fisher, fox and coyotes.

I scouted an area that I hunt yesterday. Last season we shot four deer there. Yesterday we walked four mile loop and cut one set of old tracks in the snow.

I am sure that they will be back.

Bob

What is the snow depth in the woods folks are going in?

Trying to see if my chair will make it through so I can do some scouting.

I'm going to check my cameras this evening without snowshoes or skis. I think it will depend on sun exposure and trail pack of your woods.

uploadfromtaptalk1427416428912.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1427416479081.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1427416501050.jpg

They're doing ok here in Grafton. These two browsed on some dead branches, and emerging growth, then moved on to my rhododendrons, yews, and forsythia. We hadn't seen them in our yard all snowy winter, but I've seen tracks nearby.

Saw a mink wander by the last couple days, too.

I'm in metrowest. I don't think the depth is more than 12" here and it's going very quickly. Next week there are suppose to be a lot of temps near 50 and right now they have next weekend's temps at near 60. We'll have a mud season like NH and ME.

I'm in metrowest. I don't think the depth is more than 12" here and it's going very quickly. Next week there are suppose to be a lot of temps near 50 and right now they have next weekend's temps at near 60. We'll have a mud season like NH and ME.

Thanks Hoover.

Looks like I will not be able to scout for awhile. Have another carpal surgery coming up soon on the other hand. Hopefully I can get some scouting in before it all goes green.

I have used google earth in the paat for scouting but one day the bare trees disappeared and I could not figure out how to change it back. A great tool lost.

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.

I have used google earth in the paat for scouting but one day the bare trees disappeared and I could not figure out how to change it back. A great tool lost.

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.

It's still there. You have to play with the timeline. Look for the historical images icon. It looks like a clock with a counter clockwise arrow. Then just choose an image that was taken outside of when the forest is green. I'm working from an early March image. They also have some older images in December. For my area anyway.

Bing Maps Bird's Eye isn't bad either. But the images are pretty old. Microsoft doesn't put the date on them. But I found a site that was able to determine the date of the image. Average for my area was 10 years. Too old for me to consider.

I use a combination of sites. Google Maps and Google Earth, Caltopo (love this site), and Bing Maps. Caltopo is an awesome site. You can sign in via Google, save maps, way points, mark up the map, take measurements, and even do multiple image overlays. I like the satellite view with a topo overlay.

Last edited:
I am not seeing deer now like we used to.

I took a ride around in NW CT yesterday sightseeing. The areas were all rural with many fields where it deer would feed when undisturbed.

I did not see any deer!

Have you seen any?

I don't know about down there where you guys are, but scouting doesn't make much sense right now. Where the deer are this time of year is not where they are going to be come next Fall.

I don't know about down there where you guys are, but scouting doesn't make much sense right now. Where the deer are this time of year is not where they are going to be come next Fall.

I would be looking for buck beds. They may change some during different wind conditions but if they feel safe there now they will feel safe there in the fall, same for does.

Find their beds and food source.

I find good value in post season and spring scouting. The deer are still on winter travel patterns and food sources. I don't like to scout just prior to the season. All that does is bump deer out of areas you're looking to hunt and stink up the woods with human scent causing them to leave the area. This year I want all my spots picked out by end of April, shooting lanes cut by May and I'm out of the woods until October. Then I can fish during the summer and hit the woods fresh knowing that they are as undisturbed as possible.

I would be looking for buck beds. They may change some during different wind conditions but if they feel safe there now they will feel safe there in the fall, same for does.

Find their beds and food source.

That's what I was doing. Looking for bedding and identifying travel and escape routes to/from it and possible downwind entry points for me. First two spots I visited today were showing hot sign. Lots of tracks and scat. The third was a dud. The 4th I was on my way to when I slipped on some ice in a marsh and took a dive. Got soaked head to toe. Ended up hoofing it about 3/4 of a mile back to the truck and heading home.

The snow is still surprisingly deep in the woods. Probably mid calf. Tough going. I saw lots of coyote tracks on top of the snow while the deer tracks are punching through it. The first bedding area showed fresh sign of both deer and coyote. In the bedding area it looks like the coyote may have spent some time. I found what I believe was it's bed. Coyote tracks leading into a bed and coyote tracks leaving. It was right in the middle of a deer bedding area. Interesting spot too. It was right in the intersection of a couple of deer runs in/out of the area. So the coyote could look down each of the runs from the spot. Kind of in the open. Didn't think they would do that - but the melted snow from it laying there was tell tale.. It must have been there just last night or early today. Big animal too. Check out the size of the track...

I said it scouting doesn't make much sense up here right now. The snow in the woods is still deep enough that they are still yarded up in their winter areas.

Back
Top Bottom