• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on deer population after this winter

Just wondering what you guys think about how the deer population will do after this winter.

So far I have seen no tracks anywhere near my house and usually they hammer the bushes every winter.

I saw in the Globe (not mine, for my MIL), that the states wildlife is taking a beating this year.

Hopefully JWP will offer his thoughts.

They are yarded up pretty hard right now. Unless you live near one, you won't see any deer for another month or two.
It is going to take a toll on numbers this Winter.

They are yarded up pretty hard right now. Unless you live near one, you won't see any deer for another month or two.

That is why I am surprised I have not had any tracks. Usually there is two groups of does that are around every year. Cannot say if they all got taken during hunting season but I do not like that I have not seen any sign of even one so far.

Also wondering if they will change how many tags are allowed this year.

The snowmobile trail from my house to the local trail system looks like its been trampled by a stampede of deer. This past hunting season quite a number were taken too!

I had a lot of activity near one of my trail cams after the first couple of storms in January. Was going to check them on Sunday, will report back.

With the extreme cold combined with the deep snow I think the deer population will be decimated locally. They need more food than normal to generate the energy to survive at sub zero temps and so many places won't have food available for them.

all birds too. i saw an owl early this morning and thought how is this bird eating all its food is under 3 feet of snow.

The snowmobile trail from my house to the local trail system looks like its been trampled by a stampede of deer. This past hunting season quite a number were taken too!

Good food source near by?

Thanks Squire. I do not have any out right now and could not even reach them if I did.

I ventured out to a shed (to clear the roof) that's about 60' from my house and the snow pack was up to my waist. I was tired just going that distance - can't imagine how even a herd of deer could get very far breaking a trail under these conditions. There's usually a ton of deer in my area but I have not seen any for weeks. I only saw one set of tracks running along the edge of my wood line, usually there are many. They'll definitely take a big hit this winter - poor critters!

There are a lot of swampy areas some with open water where its flowing (beaver dams, streams, etc). Small bushes with the ends eaten off....one of my apple trees too. They seem to be scratching around under spruce trees a bit.

Good food source near by?

Thanks Squire. I do not have any out right now and could not even reach them if I did.

Last edited:
That is why I am surprised I have not had any tracks. Usually there is two groups of does that are around every year. Cannot say if they all got taken during hunting season but I do not like that I have not seen any sign of even one so far.

Also wondering if they will change how many tags are allowed this year.

I agree with Pat. They are yarded up pretty hard right now. If you know where they are Harding that is where to look for the drops once the snow is gone.

I am not concerned about the deer just yet. There was a good mast last fall and they had plenty of fat going into this winter. They survive much harsher winters further north of here.

My biggest concern is how it melts. If it crusts to the point that the yotes can run on top of the snow and the deer can't the yotes will have a field day.

Regardless, I don't see fish and wildlife reducing the tags.

Bob

I wouldn't be so sure of the last bit. There was green on the ground until late January. I have seen tracks at my house along their usual paths so some are moving. If this melts quick, the healthy ones may be able to survive it.

- - - Updated - - -

turkeys too.

They are a different story. They are screwed.

I hope the turkeys are screwed. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one around here. I hate those goddamn things; scratching in my garden, pecking at my basement windows, shittin all over my lawn.

come to my house...deer tracks everywhere...Even followed some from my front yard, which had 5 feet of snow and jumped into my driveway which prob had 7 foot snow berms.... they have a tunnel like path along my back ewes..but those have been covered for awhile now

I almost hit three after midnight the other night. They were trying to climb over the snowbank to get into the woods. They were good size too and the first one's I've seen since the rut has ended.

I agree with Pat. They are yarded up pretty hard right now. If you know where they are Harding that is where to look for the drops once the snow is gone.

I am not concerned about the deer just yet. There was a good mast last fall and they had plenty of fat going into this winter. They survive much harsher winters further north of here.

My biggest concern is how it melts. If it crusts to the point that the yotes can run on top of the snow and the deer can't the yotes will have a field day.

Regardless, I don't see fish and wildlife reducing the tags.

Bob

Bob,

That is further north though. Since most people around here never seen this much snow and cold, have to think it is new for the deer also.

--

Glad to see some people seeing deer and tracks around where they are at.

Will Winter Wipe Out Your Deer Herd?

February 16, 2015
Will Winter Wipe Out Your Deer Herd?
by Craig Dougherty

Photos by Charlie Alsheimer

A severe winter is one thing to Al Roker, it’s quite another to have a northern state’s deer biologists tell you that the Winter Severity Index (WSI) in parts of the country is rapidly tipping toward the severe. Freezing temperatures and hazardous driving conditions are one thing. Constant waves of heavy snow and sub-zero cold mean that deer—and turkey—losses may be considerable. This is especially true in the Northeast. The snow machine began to crank up around Thanksgiving. After a month-long respite, winter conditions have been nothing short of brutal ever since.

“It was a wild weekend here,” outdoor photographer Charlie Alsheimer told us today. “Lots of snow on Saturday when I took these photos and a wind chill of -30 yesterday. Our wildlife populations are beginning to take a real hit here.”
And whitetails in Alsheimer’s hunting area of western New York State may not even be seeing the worst of it. The National Oceanic and Atomospheric Administration’s (NOAA) snow depth map for the Northeast is nothing short of remarkable. With another month of winter to go, snow depths are greater than 24 inches in much of New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Snow depth and daily temperature is what biologists use to compute the Winter Severity Index (WSI). Basically, the WSI tracks snowfall and temperature from December 1 through April 30 and provides a way of assessing the winter’s impact on wildlife. Any day in which the temperature drops to zero or under is scored as a 1. Additionally, any day in which there is 18 inches of snow on the ground also gets scored as a 1. So, if 12 days in January had 18 inches of snow cover and temperatures on 6 of those days dropped to zero or below, the score for January would be 18. A seasonal score of 50 or under = mild winter, 51-80 moderate, 81-100 severe, and over 100 very severe. Severe and very severe winters generally mean reduced deer numbers due to winter kill. Over the past few winters both Wisconsin and Minnesota have experienced severe winters in the northern parts of their states resulting in declining deer harvests in recent years.

Read more:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/will-winter-wipe-out-your-deer-herd

Two nice sized does crossed the road in front of me a few minutes ago. They seemed to be struggling with the banks on the side of the roads. I saw the first cross awkwardly and stopped and put my hazards on as I know they often travel in groups. An oncoming car slowed down and we both watched a second bolt after the first. One of us would have smacked it if I hadn't done so.

My yard is laced with deer trails as I am on a regular run. They love to re-prune all my fruit trees. Apparently, I am not doing it correctly.

They are definitely around.

We found a coyote in our barn a couple of weeks ago. It made a bed in the hay. I reached right over it without noticing it. My wife saw it. She tried to spook it. It picked up its head, looked at her and went back to sleep. It was against a concrete wall so I didn't want to shoot it there. We called animal control-I don't have one of those noose on a pole thingys. It took him awhile to show up. I had to leave because I was scheduled for minor surgery. When he got there, he called the police for assistance because my wife was not comfortable shooting a rifle with the animal control officer attached to the coyote via a pole. The coyote was pretty week. They said it probably came in to die. All the barn cats and horses were present and accounted for.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic. He does blend into the hay pretty well. it was at dawn.
image.jpg

I take the commuter rail from Westoboro to South Station. Lately I have seen 6-7 deer in the woods by the Ashland Stop hold up close to each other and maybe 30 Turkeys in a backyard. They looked like they have had enough of the winter too.

Back
Top Bottom