Thoughts on deer population after this winter

I've been watching the deer behind my house. They yard up where I can see them. They all seem to be there. Maybe one is missing. I also see a lot of squirrels moving about. That kind of surprises me but that would explain how the hawks/owls survive. There are also a number of fox running around. I think they manage to find food but it probably isn't easy. It has been a severe winter but on the bright side it also was not a long winter(at least not yet). All the wildlife had access to the forest floor until mid January or so. Compare that to Buffalo NY, they had a 6 foot storm in November. That has to be really hard on the deer herd.
Just took this picture. There are 3 bedded down. The most I've seen at one time is about 8.

2015-02-28 09.40.13.jpg

Last edited:
Feed em...
If you feed them,it can do more harm than good. Once you start feeding deer in winter,you must continue to feed them.Their stomach bacteria will change from grazing to browsing.When the weather is extremely cold,some will not move for days to feed.This effort will use more energy than they will get from the feed.Does have the ability to abort their young in order to survive an extreme winter.Deer yard in heavy snow for fear of predators and the first to die,while yarded,will be the yearlings who can't reach the browse once all the lower feed is eaten. It's "Survival of the Fittest"!

If you feed them,it can do more harm than good. Once you start feeding deer in winter,you must continue to feed them.Their stomach bacteria will change from grazing to browsing.When the weather is extremely cold,some will not move for days to feed.This effort will use more energy than they will get from the feed.Does have the ability to abort their young in order to survive an extreme winter.Deer yard in heavy snow for fear of predators and the first to die,while yarded,will be the yearlings who can't reach the browse once all the lower feed is eaten. It's "Survival of the Fittest"!

Agreed.

Feeding them now would have a good chance at killing them.

I make sure that food is available to them during extreme times and its generally the same thing they eat during the year.n I dont constantly put it out as that indeed would not be good I agree.

$2k in landscape damage and lime disease formed my opinion of too many deer in the neighboorhood. Die deer die, go coyote go.

Have you never heard of "bring a bow hunter home with you week"? It works well for deer control.

[emoji113] I volunteer!

Me too!!

- - - Updated - - -

It's trustees property so it's likely not allowed and why the population is so high.

Bob

Is it posted? I hope they feel all warm and cozy knowing their allowing the overpopulation is now leading to collective starvation.

Me too!!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it posted? I hope they feel all warm and cozy knowing their allowing the overpopulation is now leading to collective starvation.

I know some folks at the Trustees and have done some volunteering there. They are great people and they do some really great work. Sometimes their hands are tied by the donors as they dictate the terms of the donated property including what activities that are allowed there.

Bob

I was driving through south natick on Rt 16 over the weekend and a deer was about 20 onto the frozen charles river just standing there. As I continued driving toward the falls, you could see a lot of tracks up and down the river. The snow on the river is about 4 inches, so it's likely they are using rivers all over as their paths. We may see quite a few drown when the river ice thaws.

Last winter was bitter cold and we also had snow on the ground for a long time. What was worse was that the snow formed a hard crust, making it hard for deer to move. I think the deer population was down a bit this year, in Central MA, anyway. This winter can't be good for them, but then, it was green on the ground until the end of January. I think they'll be fine. Better off than last year. And the deer I dressed this year were carrying a thicker layer of fat than the ones I dressed last year.

I saw the coyotes running yesterday. Couldn't tell if they were chasing a deer or something else. I notice the deer are eating 'less nutritious' stuff now but I think they'll be ok. As long as the coyotes don't get them.

I have been putting small amounts of feed out for the herd down on the bog owned by my family since the start of the snow in February. I have picked off 3 pesky yotes in the past few weeks though. Usually they stay pretty deep in but they have been venturing closer out towards my house.

I was driving through south natick on Rt 16 over the weekend and a deer was about 20 onto the frozen charles river just standing there. As I continued driving toward the falls, you could see a lot of tracks up and down the river. The snow on the river is about 4 inches, so it's likely they are using rivers all over as their paths. We may see quite a few drown when the river ice thaws.

I can confirm this. I drive that route 2x a day. I've not seen any deer but the tracks are there.

sent from the depths of HELL using TapaTalk.

I have seen more deer in the last week then i have since hunting season ended. I saw 5 yesterday standing in a driveway a couple houses down from me.

Saw one - young and alone - in my friend's yard - in Natick. He says its visiting every day and eating his neighbor's ivy. They are still out there.

Had to stop and let 7 cross the road yesterday at 11:00am. They were going into the piece of land I hunt behind my house. All were big deer, nothing small.

Very with our small sample pool it does seem that things are looking OK so far.

I wonder when folks start to go out scouting/shed hunting soon what they will see.

A friend was keeping an eye on one group of yarded-up deer. Once the coyotes found them, the herd was gone in short order. Last time he checked, nothing but carcasses and one deer still on her feet.

I've found one small yard for maybe 3 - 4 deer based on the evidence. They seem to be hanging in there but there was one set of coyote scat so we'll see.

Earlier this week, alongside I-495 near exit 28, I saw 3 does eating. It was about 5:30 pm. They genuinely looked to be in pretty good shape. Also saw a road-kill coyote on the opposite side of the highway in the morning so that was good as well.

Before the snow, I counted 23 turkeys (mostly hens) in the fields behind my house. Hadn't seen them again until today. Counted at least 20-ish. Still need a bit more snow to melt til they can get to all the field, but looks like they survived so far. Now just wish it was a big enough piece of property to convince the farmer to let me use a shotgun on it... and that they weren't all hens...

Back
Top Bottom