Thomas Jefferson is the next target

Wilson campaigned on the slogan "he kept us out of war," but was blackmailed over an affair with a married woman at Princeton into changing his position and advocating US entry into WW1. Germany was winning (not losing) WW1 until the US entry which, together with the Balfour Declaration, strongly influenced Hitler's beliefs and attitudes.

You might say Woodrow Wilson's d!ck was the proximate cause of WW2.

Wilson also allowed a group of private banks to create the Federal Reserve, a move which even he later wrote he regretted.

In hindsight Wilson was a one man wrecking crew of truly epic effect.

Don't forget about signing the Revenue Act of 1913 into law after the passage of the 16A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Act_of_1913

But I am sure that the Progressives love that.

Don't forget about signing the Revenue Act of 1913 into law after the passage of the 16A.
Ayep, Our taxes to serve as debt to be paid to the private banking cartel that is the Federal Reserve.
But I am sure that the Progressives love that.
Typical liberal view -- spend other peoples' money, "soak the rich", etc. It's all so "played" -- give up the class envy BS and get to work in rebuilding this once-great country. Once progressives have to start "paying their fair share" then, they have a problem with it...you know the old expression : "A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged" (works well for 2A arguments , too) !

Even the best people do bad/stupid things. So, do we remember people for good they did or the few bad/stupid things they did? I know how I would like to be remembered.

The students clearly haven't thought this through. They attend school on land that was stolen from an indigenous people. They live in a land founded by a white patriarchic society that was built on the blood sweat & tears of slaves. It's horrible. How can they live with themselves? They should just get the **** out.

[wink]

Really? The society was built on the blood, sweat, and tears of slaves?

I call bullshit on that one.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I know people communicate and post shit on FaceSpace and share ideas, but there seems to be some organization (leadership, agitation) behind all of these campus protests. Suddenly everyone is feeling threatened by the namesake of their school? Hell, UMASS Amherst is threatened by the guy who isn't even the official school mascot. GMAFB.

To your "destroying all connections with the past" point, I was talking with some friends last night who have very recently stopped donating to their alma mater and are trying to stop the newsletters because of the schools new PC policies. Connections destroyed.

These idiots should be careful what they wish for - if they keep this crap up they're just going to destroy people's urge to go these schools at all - and then alternative forms of education are going to get a much closer look.

The dumb-ass commies are destroying their own transmission belt.

You can't judge a historical figure or what they did in their time period using today's moral compass as your measure

of course we all know better and that moral relativism is complete horseshit.

Every single person who owned slaves knew it was morally repugnant but they went along with the crowd. That doesn't make anyone any less culpable for their moral transgressions, it merely provides them with a bullshit justification.

of course we all know better and that moral relativism is complete horseshit.

Every single person who owned slaves knew it was morally repugnant but they went along with the crowd. That doesn't make anyone any less culpable for their moral transgressions, it merely provides them with a bullshit justification.

Really? You sure about that? You mean sort of like all the people these days who know damn well that taking 60% of what I make is wrong and morally repugnant - but will still send the SWAT team down to kill my dog and bust my house when I stop paying?

Really? You sure about that? You mean sort of like all the people these days who know damn well that taking 60% of what I make is wrong and morally repugnant - but will still send the SWAT team down to kill my dog and bust my house when I stop paying?

moral truths are absolute. If morality was a moving target then what would be the point? Whether or not someone, as in your example, even realizes they're stealing or not is irrelevant to the ultimate moral judgement of the act.

Can we start a college that tells anyone that starts this crap they can stick it where the sun doesn't shine? I bet we could come up with a pretty effective school between all the NES'ers.

I could teach business, marketing, some computer science and system architecture courses.

As a University we have to be open to thoughtful re-examination of our own history

That says all we need to know .
Erase history and substitute whatever fits the agenda.

In a few years these little pussies will be entering the work force (Well some of them).
I suppose the companies that hire them will have to provide a safe space with a blankie and a thumb sucking corner for when reality crashes down on them.

These idiots should be careful what they wish for - if they keep this crap up they're just going to destroy people's urge to go these schools at all - and then alternative forms of education are going to get a much closer look.

The dumb-ass commies are destroying their own transmission belt.

I think you'll actually find out that the "leaders" of them were told to do it by their handler.

Nobody here really thinks these ignorant idiots came up with all this on their own did you?

And, no I don't have a link to any of this. If you want one, go find one. I doubt you will though.

FWIW, Wilson was one of the biggest POS politicians this country ever had. The dumb idiots don't even realize he was actually on their side of most issues.

American forefathers Jefferson and Adams did not agree with slavery, and it is written all over their letters to one another. I'm exactly not sure that you can say they punted on the matter. They are the ones that started the push to abolish it. Sure it took 80 years and a civil war to finally end it, but the idea behind abolishing slavery came from them and those they represented.

Sure these are just quotes and may not mean much now, but for their time, they meant a lot -

Adams: Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States... I have, throughout my whole life, held the practice of slavery in... abhorrence.

Jefferson: Nothing is not certainly written in the book of fate then that these people are to be free.

Does anyone know why slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person? And, its not because everyone at the time was racist.
- The southern states (very pro-slavery) wanted to have representation equal to the amount of people in their states. Meaning, they would have the most votes and representation because their states were heavy with slave population. Slavery would ultimately remain legal, and the northern states (anti-slavery) would have little to no say on the matter. It wasn't until Madison, Jefferson, Adams, and other northern state representation stood up and stopped the push from the southern states from counting slaves as a whole person. It had nothing to do with counting slaves as less than a whole person than it did with equal representation. These wise men knew that slavery would never end and the Constitution would never have been ratified without putting this stake in the ground.

(And yes I know that Jefferson and Adams did not sign the Constitution, as they were away as ambassadors to UK and France respectively. But, they both saw rough drafts of the Constitution and were able to add their thoughts and input to the process.)

Simple historical fact is that many of the Founding Fathers were racists and slaveholders. The Euro Americans who came to these shores carried out a program of uncoordinated genocide against the indigenous peoples that lived here. Okay...now we can accept these facts and move on all of us the past is the past and we cannot change it. The biggest problem that instead of teaching history objectively, for decades we turned the
Founding Fathers into dieties and gave them attributes that no mortal man could possibly attain. Jefferson the man fell far short of his ideals, but so what? The same could be said for all of us. MLK was a plagiarist and a philanderer yet his speeches and writings should inspire us all today.

I think Medal of Honor Recipient Greg "Pappy" Boyington summed it up best when he said: "show me a hero and I'll show you a bum."

Can't judge the values and attitudes of a different time and place by today's standards.

We get it. No human in history is perfect. Though, can’t we focus on the accomplishments of those in figures in American history? Can we just be proud of does everything these days have to be about self-loathing. Can we just be proud of our country? I don’t see too many here packing their bags to go elsewhere.

Say you’re proud to be an American and the first think the newly brainwashed self-haters bring up is slavery and Jim Crowe laws.

American forefathers Jefferson and Adams did not agree with slavery, and it is written all over their letters to one another. I'm exactly not sure that you can say they punted on the matter. They are the ones that started the push to abolish it. Sure it took 80 years and a civil war to finally end it, but the idea behind abolishing slavery came from them and those they represented. Sure these are just quotes and may not mean much now, but for their time, they meant a lot - Adams: Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States... I have, throughout my whole life, held the practice of slavery in... abhorrence. Jefferson: Nothing is not certainly written in the book of fate then that these people are to be free. Does anyone know why slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person? And, its not because everyone at the time was racist. - The southern states (very pro-slavery) wanted to have representation equal to the amount of people in their states. Meaning, they would have the most votes and representation because their states were heavy with slave population. Slavery would ultimately remain legal, and the northern states (anti-slavery) would have little to no say on the matter. It wasn't until Madison, Jefferson, Adams, and other northern state representation stood up and stopped the push from the southern states from counting slaves as a whole person. It had nothing to do with counting slaves as less than a whole person than it did with equal representation. These wise men knew that slavery would never end and the Constitution would never have been ratified without putting this stake in the ground. (And yes I know that Jefferson and Adams did not sign the Constitution, as they were away as ambassadors to UK and France respectively. But, they both saw rough drafts of the Constitution and were able to add their thoughts and input to the process.)

The problem however is not with Jefferson the idealist but Jefferson the man and slaveholder whose slave/concubine/mistress Sally Hemmings and the children he fathered with her.

Once again we are faced with the hypocrisy of Thomas Jefferson which has challenged his most ardent defenders and raises the most perplexing questions among serious historians.

The essential problem is quoting a few random facts but not putting them against a much larger tapestry. The facts surrounding Jefferson's dalliances with Hemmings were known in his day and were used by his political enemies. Hardly some deep held secret.

The issue then becomes do we judge a man by his actions or his words? Yeah, sure he penned the Declaration of Independence so he gets a free pass, one of the few in history maybe who gets credit for talking the talk but not walking the walk. It's all a matter of perspective don't you see and like it or not one of the great ones in American history, one who some of you "cherish" was engaged in behavior that even some of his contemporaries found odious enough to use against him. Does it matter today? Probably not so much. He was a great man but a man nonetheless with the flaws of humanity.

Personally I'm waiting for them to go after all those Army Posts named after Confederate Generals, a helluva lot more interesting to me, you know: Ft Lee, Ft Polk, Ft Hood, Ft Gordon, Ft Bliss, Ft Stewart etc.

We get it. No human in history is perfect. Though, can’t we focus on the accomplishments of those in figures in American history? Can we just be proud of does everything these days have to be about self-loathing. Can we just be proud of our country? I don’t see too many here packing their bags to go elsewhere. Say you’re proud to be an American and the first think the newly brainwashed self-haters bring up is slavery and Jim Crowe laws.

There is a difference between propagandizing and deification of America's historical figures and making villains out of those who contributed most to the American Experience. I'm not so sure you do get it and maybe that's the problem. Up until the middle 1960's American history was taught as American Propaganda and our heroes could do no wrong. Then there was the first backlash and people began to doubt government. It's gone on from there.

I suppose maybe you might want to consider that if we had a more balanced and nuanced approach to our history, then just maybe everybody could learn benefit and approach it with a true and better understanding which is why we all have to figure out where we have been and where we are going. For the last 400 years race has been the 800 pound gorilla in the back of the room and it's not about self loathing, it might have something to do with the fact that we have never honestly come to grips with the problem. Look how many threads are race related here on NES alone. It's not going away especially since the white or Euro American demographic is gradually slipping into a minority status...so no on at least one level you don't get it. I'd rather deal with it now openly and honestly than squirm and wriggle around for another fifty years. That's not self loathing, that's self preservation.

Let them destroy history, one day people will forget and history will repeat.

When all else fails turn to ad hominem attacks. I thought we were having a spirited but civil conversation. Guess you allowed anger to overcome intellect and in my book have only negated any good points you were making. Your use of dialect is unworthy of yourself. It's a shame that animated civil discourse has gone the way of the dodo bird here on NES. Not that it matters I suppose but you have seriously disappointed this douche but have revealed a considerable amount of your character or lack thereof. You are not living up to Jeffersonian ideals IMO.

Last edited:
I caught a news blurb a few months ago about the dems trying to distance themselves from the legacies of Jefferson and Jackson.
They have an annual fundraiser called the Jefferson Jackson Dinner and there was some chatter about them wanting to change the name of the event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson–Jackson_Day

I find it amusing that they're looking to bump Alexander Hamilton off the $10 bill and replace him with a woman (preferably a black woman), but nobody is even thinking about removing Jefferson from the $2, or Jackson from the $20 bill.

it is interesting that they are all up in arms about black slave holders, but never mention the trail of tears, and other persecution/genocide of the native americans that GAVE them their land in Missouri to bitch about things black! maybe they should offer to give their own houses back to the Indians they were stolen from?

I caught a news blurb a few months ago about the dems trying to distance themselves from the legacies of Jefferson and Jackson.

I noticed my mother-in-law, a raving libtard, doing this a year ago. Jefferson's on borrowed time.

Way to saw off the branch you're sitting on.

Back
Top Bottom