• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thomas Jefferson is the next target

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/11/23/thomas-jefferson-next-target-students-who-question-honors-figures-who-were-racists

In the last week, Princeton University students who object to having Woodrow Wilson's name on an academic unit and a residential college occupied the president's office and left only when promised that the university would review its use of the Wilson name. The students pointed out that Wilson was a racist who, as president of the United States, had federal government agencies segregated, reversing progress toward civil rights for black people. Many observers have wondered which historical figure honored on American campuses would next capture critical attention.

The answer appears to be Thomas Jefferson. At both the University of Missouri at Columbia and the College of William & Mary, critics have been placing yellow sticky notes on Jefferson statues, labeling him -- among other things -- "rapist" and "racist."
Once again, students are raising the question of whether men seen as heroes in American history were decidedly unheroic when it came to issues of race -- and black students are demanding that colleges consider the impact of various honors for people whom they do not consider heroes. While Princeton has said it is considering the issue of the Wilson name, which could well remain, the student protest movement has led to widespread discussion of Wilson's record on race, which even fans of his idealistic internationalist vision admit was horrible. Publications such as Vox and Salon are running articles detailing just how bad Wilson was with regard to issues of race -- and giving prominence to a part of the historical record many have never considered.
How will colleges respond to questions about the prominent place some institutions give Jefferson?
At William & Mary, Jefferson's alma mater, the notes on the statue just appeared, without an individual or group claiming responsibility or formally asking for the statue to be removed. Officials have noted that the protest has not actually damaged the statue, so they are not treating the incident like vandalism.
"A university setting is the very place where civil conversations about difficult and important issues should occur. Nondestructive sticky notes are a form of expression compatible with our tradition of free expression," said a spokesperson via email.
Students have been debating the issues raised by the notes on social media and in columns in the student paper.
At Missouri, the Jefferson statue became an issue last month as tensions were rising over a range of issues raised by black students, who cited incidents of racial harassment as well as campus culture issues, such as the prominence given to a Jefferson statue.
A petition is circulating calling for the statue to be removed. The petition notes the history of Jefferson's involvement with slavery. "Thomas Jefferson’s statue sends a clear nonverbal message that his values and beliefs are supported by the University of Missouri. Jefferson's statue perpetuates a sexist-racist atmosphere that continues to reside on campus," the petition says.

Is there anyone in our history that the minorities and liberal are ok with besides Harriet Tubman and MLK?

The higher education system is imploding. People should think long and hard about sending their children into what are becoming out and out Communist re-education camps.

- - - Updated - - -

**** these thug, punks. This is why we are loosing America.

We are LOSING America because people refuse to do anything about it.

They have already conquered free speech, now they are going after 'nonverbal' communication.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Simple historical fact is that many of the Founding Fathers were racists and slaveholders. The Euro Americans who came to these shores carried out a program of uncoordinated genocide against the indigenous peoples that lived here. Okay...now we can accept these facts and move on all of us the past is the past and we cannot change it. The biggest problem that instead of teaching history objectively, for decades we turned the
Founding Fathers into dieties and gave them attributes that no mortal man could possibly attain. Jefferson the man fell far short of his ideals, but so what? The same could be said for all of us. MLK was a plagiarist and a philanderer yet his speeches and writings should inspire us all today.

I think Medal of Honor Recipient Greg "Pappy" Boyington summed it up best when he said: "show me a hero and I'll show you a bum."

Can't judge the values and attitudes of a different time and place by today's standards.

Good grieve , why would they even go to such a school be all racist and stuff.....bet they would welcome a statue of Rev. All , farahkan or good old Jesse.
Why not put up statues of gorge Washington carver instead

Good grief......

"Jefferson's statue perpetuates a sexist-racist atmosphere that continues to reside on campus"

This is the part I don't understand. If you are so uncomfortable at the school, leave or transfer or something. It's not required that you go there. I felt similarly with the Concerned Student 1950 thing. You are not required to interact with the university. You can transfer somewhere else if you want.

That doesn't mean you can't try to push for positive change in certain items, but if you think something's really that outrageous and untenable, you can always walk away.

These are the games that they play. If they snuff out enough history, people will not be able to see and know what they are doing and to realize it is tyranny. Jefferson's doctrine of "separation of church and state" is one that liberals constantly point to among other contributions Jefferson made to the cause of liberty.

Whose name do they want to use instead? Chae? Alinsky? Ayers?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/11/23/thomas-jefferson-next-target-students-who-question-honors-figures-who-were-racists

In the last week, Princeton University students who object to having Woodrow Wilson's name on an academic unit and a residential college occupied the president's office and left only when promised that the university would review its use of the Wilson name. The students pointed out that Wilson was a racist who, as president of the United States, had federal government agencies segregated, reversing progress toward civil rights for black people. Many observers have wondered which historical figure honored on American campuses would next capture critical attention.

The answer appears to be Thomas Jefferson. At both the University of Missouri at Columbia and the College of William & Mary, critics have been placing yellow sticky notes on Jefferson statues, labeling him -- among other things -- "rapist" and "racist."

Princeton President Response.

I write today to update all members of the Princeton University community about recent events on campus, to describe important initiatives already underway or currently being considered to make Princeton a more welcoming and supportive community for all of its members, and to outline a process that the Board of Trustees will use to collect information about the record of Woodrow Wilson and his legacy on our campus.

For more than a year, Princeton—like many other colleges in this country—has been the site of intense and often emotional discussions about racial injustice. These discussions emerged from and reflect disturbing national events, but they have often focused on the racial climate and the sense of inclusion at Princeton.

Although these conversations have often been difficult and uncomfortable, I have learned a great deal from them. I have heard compelling testimony from students of color about the distress, pain, and frustration that is caused by a campus climate that they too often find unwelcoming or uncaring. In some cases, these feelings are heightened or exacerbated by exchanges, frequently anonymous, on social media. These problems are not unique to Princeton—on the contrary, similar stories are unfolding at many peer institutions—but that does not make them any more acceptable. Our students deserve better, and Princeton must do better. We must commit ourselves to make this University a place where students from all backgrounds feel respected and valued.

Important efforts are under way. In December of last year, I charged a Special Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to develop recommendations that would enable our University to provide a more welcoming environment for students of all backgrounds. The task force included students, faculty members, and administrators, and it had strong representation from student leaders who had participated in the heartfelt discussions that led to its creation. We accepted every recommendation that the task force made—recommendations that ranged from additional funding for programming and for staff support in key areas to a review of our academic programs and requirements and our orientation programs for students and new faculty. The task force also recommended that we strengthen and reconceptualize the Carl A. Fields Center to make it more responsive to the needs of the students it is intended to serve; we have begun that work, but we also are taking more immediate steps to designate areas within the Center for several cultural affinity groups. Reports on our progress in carrying out the recommendations of the task force can be found on the Inclusive.Princeton.edu website.

The task force recommendations complement an earlier effort initiated by my predecessor, President Shirley Tilghman, in January 2012. She created a joint faculty and trustee committee and charged it with finding new strategies to diversify Princeton’s faculty, staff, and graduate student body. Increasing the diversity of these campus populations is essential to enhance our scholarly and educational excellence as well as to make our campus more fully inclusive. Co-chaired by Trustee Brent Henry ’69 and Professor (now Dean of the Faculty) Deborah Prentice, the committee published its report in September 2013. A number of important steps have been taken already and more are planned; the committee report, and an update about progress in these areas, can be found on the University’s website at: http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S42/32/24O59/.

Even as we pursue the recommendations of these committees, more remains to be done. Recent events have focused renewed attention on the concerns of underrepresented students. Earlier this week, students occupied Nassau Hall for a day and a half to advocate for improvements in the climate for black students on campus. Last weekend, Princeton Latino and Latina students endured a traumatic experience at a LatinX Ivy League Conference at Brown University, and upon returning to our campus they and other students have written to request a number of further improvements that would make our University more inclusive. Other student groups are also addressing these issues, and I anticipate continuing discussion—and, I hope, constructive dialogue—over the coming months.

I care deeply about what our students are saying to us, and I am determined to do whatever I can, in collaboration with others, to improve the climate on this campus so that all students are respected, valued, and supported as members of a vibrant and diverse learning community.

Making further progress will require compassion, commitment, and imagination. It will also require that we discuss difficult topics civilly and with mutual respect. To be an inclusive community we must treat one another with respect even when we disagree vigorously about topics that matter deeply. When I spoke to the students who occupied Nassau Hall, I insisted that we would consider carefully the issues that troubled them, but that we would do so through appropriate University processes—processes that allow for full and fair input from the entire University community.

One of the most sensitive and controversial issues pertains to Woodrow Wilson’s legacy on the campus. As every Princetonian knows, Wilson left a lasting imprint on this University and this campus, and while much of his record had a very positive impact on the shaping of modern Princeton, his record on race is disturbing. As a University we have to be open to thoughtful re-examination of our own history, and I believe it is appropriate to engage our community in a careful exploration of this legacy. Since the Board of Trustees has authority over how the University recognizes Wilson, I have asked the Board to develop a process to consider this issue, and the Board has agreed to do so. The Board will form a subcommittee to collect information about Wilson’s record and impact from a wide array of perspectives and constituencies. This information will include a range of scholarly understandings of Wilson. Toward this end, the Board will solicit letters from experts familiar with Wilson, and it will make those letters public. The Board will also establish a vehicle to allow alumni, faculty, students, and staff to register their opinions with the subcommittee about Wilson and his legacy. In addition, members of the Board’s subcommittee will schedule visits to Princeton’s campus early in the spring semester to listen to the views of the University community, including its alumni. After assessing the information it has gathered and hearing the views of all parts of the Princeton community, the Board will decide whether there are any changes that should be made in how the University recognizes Wilson’s legacy.

These are turbulent and demanding times, but if we engage in thoughtful and meaningful conversation they offer hope for real progress. The quest for a diverse and inclusive community has been among Princeton’s most important goals at least since the presidency of Bob Goheen ’40 *48, and we have come a long way. But we have not come far enough, and making further progress will require hard work and good will. I am confident that Princeton’s extraordinary community—on campus, and throughout the world—is up to the task.

Christopher Eisgruber ’83
President
The question my friends are asking is, "How are these 'turbulent or demanding times?'" We're not at war, the cities are not burning, people aren't get kidnapped and murdered for their beliefs?

Purdue President nailed it.

November 11, 2015

To the Purdue community,

Events this week at the University of Missouri and Yale University should remind us all of the importance of absolute fidelity to our shared values. First, that we strive constantly to be, without exception, a welcoming, inclusive and discrimination-free community, where each person is respected and treated with dignity. Second, to be steadfast in preserving academic freedom and individual liberty.

Two years ago, a student-led initiative created the “We Are Purdue Statement of Values”, which was subsequently endorsed by the University Senate. Last year, both our undergraduate and graduate student governments led an effort that produced a strengthened statement of policies protecting free speech. What a proud contrast to the environments that appear to prevail at places like Missouri and Yale. Today and every day, we should remember the tenets of those statements and do our best to live up to them fully.

Sincerely,

President Mitch Daniels

Last edited:
The students clearly haven't thought this through. They attend school on land that was stolen from an indigenous people. They live in a land founded by a white patriarchic society that was built on the blood sweat & tears of slaves. It's horrible. How can they live with themselves? They should just get the **** out.

[wink]

This is the destroying all connections with the past so that the new agenda can go with out looking back at history. Thus people can be more easily swayed and convinced that what is being done is being done better than the last time and that it will work this time.

This is what the muzzies are doing to the ancient religious antiquities, This is what other despots around the world have done in the past. All for the same reason. These kids are now the tool of those that want to destroy our way of life.

This is kind of what I was thinking. I know people communicate and post shit on FaceSpace and share ideas, but there seems to be some organization (leadership, agitation) behind all of these campus protests. Suddenly everyone is feeling threatened by the namesake of their school? Hell, UMASS Amherst is threatened by the guy who isn't even the official school mascot. GMAFB.

To your "destroying all connections with the past" point, I was talking with some friends last night who have very recently stopped donating to their alma mater and are trying to stop the newsletters because of the schools new PC policies. Connections destroyed.

Bunch of whack jobs who have never met the real world. Hopefully, people will just stop going to these indoctrination centers, or at least the ones that operate as indoctrination centers... Ironically, once they spend $250k to get indoctrinated to Communist doctrine, they want us to pay off their student loans. Good little Communists...

Can't judge the values and attitudes of a different time and place by today's standards

This is exactly what I am teaching my daughters as they ask questions about Columbus and the Pilgrims- Hero or Villain? They were just people, both good and bad living in a different time with different social norms.

Simple historical fact is that many of the Founding Fathers were racists and slaveholders. The Euro Americans who came to these shores carried out a program of uncoordinated genocide against the indigenous peoples that lived here. Okay...now we can accept these facts and move on all of us the past is the past and we cannot change it. The biggest problem that instead of teaching history objectively, for decades we turned the
Founding Fathers into dieties and gave them attributes that no mortal man could possibly attain. Jefferson the man fell far short of his ideals, but so what? The same could be said for all of us. MLK was a plagiarist and a philanderer yet his speeches and writings should inspire us all today.

I think Medal of Honor Recipient Greg "Pappy" Boyington summed it up best when he said: "show me a hero and I'll show you a bum."

Can't judge the values and attitudes of a different time and place by today's standards.

Do you guys really think that Woodrow Wilson was a good president? Thomas Jefferson did way more for the country, no contest. On the other hand, Wilson laid the groundwork for a ton of federal over reach. Who here is a fan of the Federal Reserve?

The students clearly haven't thought this through. They attend school on land that was stolen from an indigenous people. They live in a land founded by a white patriarchic society that was built on the blood sweat & tears of slaves. It's horrible. How can they live with themselves? They should just [STRIKE=the **** out]get the **** out[/STRIKE] off themselves.

[wink]

FIFY.

Totally agree. The founders were in fact, by todays standards, racist and sexist. They punted on the slavery issue because they would never have gotten the southern states to agree to independence or ratified the Constitution if Slavery had been addressed. There was no consideration of women's rights, nor Indians, etc.
To me the real tragedy is that schools no longer really teach history. (I was a History major) Sure, you will still get Western Civilization 101, but its morphed into rote memorization of events and discussions of grievances. I read a story recently where a college Professor asked a group of History major grad students who George C Marshall was, none of them knew....

My son is in middle school and we talk almost every night about what he learned recently in 'Social Studies', they are going to be the constitution the next semester, it will be interesting to see how they present it.

Wilson was a HUGE racist even compared to the mores of his time. Jefferson, OTOH was progressive on race when compared to his peers. Wilson was NOT a good person. At all.

MLK was a plagiarist and a philanderer yet his speeches and writings should inspire us all today.

Just had to point that out.

What you write is generally true but misses the key point. Jefferson is under attack as a symbol of the values many of us hold dear. Nations are held together by commonly held values and ideals and the Cultural Marxists are now coming for these.

After Jefferson they will come for Washington and after that we may all find out what it was like to be Russian in 1920.

Do you guys really think that Woodrow Wilson was a good president? Thomas Jefferson did way more for the country, no contest. On the other hand, Wilson laid the groundwork for a ton of federal over reach. Who here is a fan of the Federal Reserve?

This has nothing to do with how good or bad I a president he was...

Bunch of whack jobs who have never met the real world. Hopefully, people will just stop going to these indoctrination centers, or at least the ones that operate as indoctrination centers... Ironically, once they spend $250k to get indoctrinated to Communist doctrine, they want us to pay off their student loans. Good little Communists...

In their defense, there's no way anyone could know that a school that costs a mere $60k/year would add up to nearly $250k in just four years.

Wilson was a HUGE racist even compared to the mores of his time. Jefferson, OTOH was progressive on race when compared to his peers. Wilson was NOT a good person. At all.

Wilson campaigned on the slogan "he kept us out of war," but was blackmailed over an affair with a married woman at Princeton into changing his position and advocating US entry into WW1. Germany was winning (not losing) WW1 until the US entry which, together with the Balfour Declaration, strongly influenced Hitler's beliefs and attitudes.

You might say Woodrow Wilson's d!ck was the proximate cause of WW2.

Wilson also allowed a group of private banks to create the Federal Reserve, a move which even he later wrote he regretted.

In hindsight Wilson was a one man wrecking crew of truly epic effect.

Last edited:
That's ****ed up. Woodrow Willson was one of the chief ass holes that contributed to this progressive sham all these kids want so dearly to embrace.

Holly ****! Just when I thought this couldn't get any more bat shit crazy...

StevensMarksman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The students clearly haven't thought this through. They attend school on land that was stolen from an indigenous people. They live in a land founded by a white patriarchic society that was built on the blood sweat & tears of slaves. It's horrible. How can they live with themselves? They should just get the **** out.

[wink]
Basically 100% of everything we have today is somehow tainted by something bad that someone did long ago. It is literally impossible to live some kind of pure life unaffected by anything in the past. Do these snow flakes want to eat? Well food used to picked by slaves. Inventors of much we have today owned slaves or were sexist or whatever. We have this country because of the bad stuff done to Indians. I could go on and on but there is not a single example of something that is all good and pure.

These snow flakes could start trying to escape the evils of the past by removing all their clothes and walking naked out into the forest and try to survive 100% on what they do with their own hands. But they would still be doing this on stolen Indian lands. They would need to find land untouched by the evils of man in the past.... perhaps Antarctica. But then their activity would warm the ice and destroy the earth.

I suggest they just follow the natural progression of this kind of thinking and kill themselves now. That is the only way to be pure. And do it in an environmentally sound way... just find a polar bear and yell "eat me".

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

You can't judge a historical figure or what they did in their time period using today's moral compass as your measure

You can't judge a historical figure or what they did in their time period using today's moral compass as your measure
True. That isn't going to stop these people though.

At this point, I am just going to cheer them on. The education bubble needs to pop, so whatever pops it sooner I am all for.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

Back
Top Bottom