• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is why I carry a gun (attempted mugging)

GSG

http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=72&go=4

THIS IS WHY I CARRY A GUN (GUNS & AMMO VERSION)

I am a newspaper columnist by trade, and host a daily radio talk show.

And once or twice a week, to get ideas and to clear my head, I take walks through the neighborhoods of the city where I work. Just an amble, to see what's going on and to visit with people. Over the years, it's been a great source of stories and personal enrichment.

And through it all I've never had trouble. I go to the worst parts of town, and talk to cops and crooks, and because I treat people with respect and kindness, they treat me the same way. Until last week. Last week, as I write this, something changed. And I'm not sure how I will react to that in the long run, but I know that I'm here to consider it because of my gun.

It was a beautiful day, bright and warm, and at 3:30 in the afternoon I had just passed an elementary school. There were low-income housing projects on both sides of the street -- a busy, city thoroughfare -- and scores of people were out happily enjoying the sun or visiting on their stoops. I was half watching a group of teen-agers playing basketball when I heard running footsteps approaching me from behind.

I turned and saw a young man strangely dressed in a winter coat and hat. He started to speak to me. I kept walking. He said several words, the only one of which I could understand was, "money." I looked puzzled and he repeated himself. Still not able to make out what he was mumbling I said, "I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding you. What did you say?"

He was clear this time: "Give me your money."

I kept walking, like I always do with panhandlers, and said I didn't have any money. He reached over and touched my pants pocket, seemingly feeling it for its contents, and repeated his request. I kept walking, and repeated my refusal.

"Hey, I'm going to stick you," he said. "I'm going to shoot you. Give me your money."

As he spoke he was pulling his hand from his coat. I braced and watched it, and saw it come out empty. And I kept on walking. We were surrounded by possibly hundreds of witnesses, it was broad daylight, the police cruise that street constantly, and this guy was reading like a chump to me. So I figured he was nothing more than a panhandler, and a rather unimaginative one at that. So I repeated my refusal and I kept walking.

And when he clubbed me I remember the only sensation I had was one of wonderment. Holy cow. So this is what that feels like. My glasses broke and flew and my head felt strange and separate. I wasn't really dazed, and I wasn't angry or afraid. I was mostly shocked that this guy wasn't leaving me alone. And that's all I wanted. To be left alone.

I don't know if there is an instinct for that, but I just somewhere deep felt like I wanted to walk down that sidewalk and right now something was happening to me that was very bad and was going to keep me from doing that.

That's what I realized later, as I stood in the circle of cops and started coming down.

But in the bewilderment of that split second after he pounded my head there were only two things. Simple things, unconscious things, urgent but not frantic. Get a good grip and bring the weapon between us.

My carry gun varies with my clothing. That day I had a .45 AMT Back Up in an Alessi inside-the-pants holster above my right hip. It is a small gun and the trigger pull is beastly and the kick is substantial and I realize all that now but then it just distilled into the primal need to get a good purchase on the gun.

And bring it up.

He was closing, lunging I think, and his arms were up. And I never quite looked at him directly but I stepped back and saw the ground between us and his body coming in and I knew I had to see the gun on his chest. Not the sights, and not aiming or even quite pointing, but on top of the two-dimensional image of his trunk I wanted to see my hands and the AMT.

I saw it about the same time he did. And in the instant before a third instinct would have sent a MagSafe at point blank range into his chest he stopped and turned and ran. And I was left there with a throbbing head and broken glasses and a new perspective.

And here's the point I want to make.

It wasn't like I imagined. It wasn't like in the Army, when we thought we were young fire-eaters. There was no anger, or hate, or macho. It was a passionless fight. Mechanical, automatic, unconscious. There is no swagger in this tale. I am not some kind of big man now. A conditioned response was stimulated, and if that stimulus had not been removed when it was, I would have killed a man. And I do not glory in that.

But because of that response, and because of that gun and my God-given right to defend myself, I got to live. And three hours after it happened I was walking my family down another street, going out for ice cream, talking to my kids and laughing.

And that, if you don't already know, is why I carry a gun.

- by Bob Lonsberry

Any thoughts on this?

That's why I carry a gun, too.

Now , want me to be the irritant ? Self defense habits should include NOT wondering around housing projects with ones head in the clouds.

Nor should one turn his back on a guy who already said he'd stab you if you fail to comply.

Now , want me to be the irritant ? Self defense habits should include NOT wondering around housing projects with ones head in the clouds.

Nor should one turn his back on a guy who already said he'd stab you if you fail to comply.

I definately agree that he never should have turned his back to the guy. I would have faced him and walked backwards away from him trying to create distance. If he kept coming at me, I'd be ready to draw and fire. He's lucky to be alive for sure. People underestimate the lethality of non projectile or bladeless weapons. One strong blow to the right part of your head can result in anything between a headache, to sever brain damage, to death. Not a chance I'd be willing to take.

As for not walking in that neighborhood, I have a different view. I am an American citizen and have the right to walk down any god damned street I please. 3:30 in the afternoon is different than 3:30 in the AM. Broad daylight, lots of people around, I would not be afraid. That being said, I wouldn't and don't just start going into neighborhoods that I normally wouldn't just because I have a gun. However, I don't and won't go out of my way to avoid neighborhoods that are in a convenient route for me out of fear.

Well, thankfully, he satisfied his "duty to be injured" before wantonly brandishing his weapon to an "unarmed" man... [rofl]

[/sarcasm] (from "what would you do in this scenario" thread)

Like he says (unless you have been there), it won't be "like [you] imagine"...

I'd like to say that 20 years on, I no longer watch unfamiliar people around me for clues on a surprise attack, but I'd be lying...

I don't make a personality disorder of it, in fact at this point its almost entirely unconscious, but if I don't know you and you are headed my way, you can bet you have been sized up and I know where your "pointy ends" (Calvin and Hobbs) are... [wink]

+1 for the AMT .45 Backup! I keep 185 gr. Remington Golden Sabers in mine and it is very, very managable.

Too bad AMT went out of business. A great little gun the size of a Walther PPK with a 5+1 capacity.

OK, I have to post my story now. Last August, while finishing a job and loading tools in my truck, I was assaulted. It was almost 2 PM, sunny day and lots of people around. I knew the area was not a great place to be, but while working I had the door dead bolted for my own security. Well, the perpetrator followed me back inside as I was loading tools to my truck. Loading my tools meant I had no knives or hammers in my hands. I didn't even hear him come in behind me. He showed a knife and wanted my wallet. I told him to leave, that he wasn't allowed there, but his decision was made. The fight pursued and I was stabbed in the hand and various cuts and bruises and aches and pains. I lost a months work with my wound to my hand and that money is gone. A lot went through my mind after that day and incident, it could have been a worse outcome. I am early 60's and sure don't need to be fighting with someone that is half my age or less. I decided to take the gun course and get my LTC. I do carry now and this won't happen to me again, I can assure you of that. Your awareness goes up 1,000 per cent after an incident like that. Just sharing and be aware.
This is why I carry.
Seamsealer

Last edited:
definitely wouldn't have turned my back on the guy and most likely my gun would have come out when he told me he was going to attack me if i didn't comply. if someone is making a threat like that i am going to assume they aren't screwing around.

seamsealer: i'm glad that the injuries weren't worse. scumbags like that wouldn't hesitate to really hurt someone for what amounts to very little money.

You Lucked Out . . .

It may be easy to say seeing that it wasn’t me that it happened to this time but I’d never turn my back to anyone threatening me. If I hear someone running up behind me I step aside as I turn. I do it to this day, it’s too late once they “stick” you. Even a hard punch to the side of your head will put you woozy and could very easily knock you on your butt.

Once you’re down or have your bell rung they have the advantage and probably your wallet and gun too. After watching the defensive videos on the Outdoor Channel I don’t feel at all uncomfortable with the defensive posture I take. If it’s just a kid running by, you just do the step aside and turn a complete circle then keep on your way like nothing has happened. Better to be safe than sorry.

You were fortunate you got out of that predicament without serious injury or the loss of you firearm. Good luck in the future and I hope you take evasive action before the threat becomes reality. All the best.

Last edited:
A nice example of how guns save lives. I am so glad the guy coud do what he did.

If someone would approach me with a request of giving him my money when so many people are around, I think my first reaction would be to start screaming to attract attention. Although probably not in a "low-income housing" neighborhood.

It's why most of us decide to carry

Stories like this have to some extent happened to most of us. I am sure there have been several times when many of us were in danger, and did not know it. Perhaps something made the criminal decide we were not the one. A passing car, another pedestrian within view, whatever. I am only 36, but the older I get the better my "situational awareness" becomes. Possibly I am realizing more, and more that I am not invincible.
Hopefully that theif thinks twice before he tries to rob someone again.

I can relate to this guy. I too like to put myself in risky situations.
i like to charter a boat to shark infested waters, pour blood in the water, wait for the frenzy to start, then jump in the water. can you believe that those sharks wanted to eat me? i must have looked like prey. imagine that.

i get the free country thing, but in this case....he was just lookin for trouble and took unnecessary risk.

ok guys, commence bashing for being devils advocate.

Wearing a gun doesn't make it a good idea to go places where something bad is more likley to happen to you. But if you have to/decide to go bad places, its a good idea to wear a gun. Most people who have carried for personal protection for a while, I would venture to guess, carry wherever they are allowed to, and maybe even some places they aren't. The reasoning, simple and sound, "I will not be unprepared and made a victim". Being attacked is a lot like getting into a car accident, you honestly can never predict when or where they will happen. So we wear seatbelts to be prepared for that one time that it does happen to you. We apply the same logic to carrying a firearm. It only takes one time. Sometimes you won't be lucky enough to get a second chance. Its always an interesting topic of discussion.

I never would have turned my back on him

I definately agree that he never should have turned his back to the guy. I would have faced him and walked backwards away from him trying to create distance. If he kept coming at me, I'd be ready to draw and fire.

definitely wouldn't have turned my back on the guy and most likely my gun would have come out when he told me he was going to attack me if i didn't comply.

Agree with all of you, jhblaze the most. If he demanded money and mentioned a weapon, in the same situation I would have drawn on him while backing up. Brings to mind the Tueller Drill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill).

OK, I have to post my story now. Last August, while finishing a job and loading tools in my truck, I was assaulted. It was almost 2 PM, sunny day and lots of people around. I knew the area was not a great place to be, but while working I had the door dead bolted for my own security. Well, the perpetrator followed me back inside as I was loading tools to my truck. Loading my tools meant I had no knives or hammers in my hands. I didn't even hear him come in behind me. He showed a knife and wanted my wallet. I told him to leave, that he wasn't allowed there, but his decision was made. The fight pursued and I was stabbed in the hand and various cuts and bruises and aches and pains. I lost a months work with my wound to my hand and that money is gone. A lot went through my mind after that day and incident, it could have been a worse outcome. I am early 60's and sure don't need to be fighting with someone that is half my age or less. I decided to take the gun course and get my LTC. I do carry now and this won't happen to me again, I can assure you of that. Your awareness goes up 1,000 per cent after an incident like that. Just sharing and be aware.
This is why I carry.
Seamsealer

I'm very glad to hear that you're alive and well, and that youve taken steps to not be in the same situation twice.

Feets don't fail me now!

Ha ha, I'd run too if I could (and if it didn't mean having my back to the guy). [laugh]

You were fortunate you got out of that predicament without serious injury or the loss of you firearm. Good luck in the future and I hope you take evasive action before the threat becomes reality. All the best.

FYI, it's an article I read that I re-posted, this didn't happen to me. I've never carried an AMT, and I sure as heck am not a reporter. [grin]

If someone would approach me with a request of giving him my money when so many people are around, I think my first reaction would be to start screaming to attract attention. Although probably not in a "low-income housing" neighborhood.

No kidding, I doubt screams (or even gunfire) would warrant so much as a 911 call in low income housing.

Yeah , that whole " run away " thing ... not always an option , less so for some of us.

My wife is legally blind. I like her , though , so I don't plan to run away from trouble if it finds me while I am with her.

Condition white. He should have been in condition RED by that point. G-d looks after drunks, fools and little children. This guy counted as two of them.
Wait till you see the other side of fifty.
Or have a foot injury. [thinking]

In 1975 I was robbed and kidnapped at gunpoint. Carjacked is probably the proper term. I was getting in my car in one of the Boston neighborhoods and this guy ran up with a small revolver.

I sensed he was coming. We had passed one another on the street. I was on the street side of the sidewalk heading towards my car. He passed me on my left. He gave me this odd look. My instincts kicked in and I doubled up my speed towards the car. He turned around and ran in my direction with the gun out. He got me in the car, took my stuff, and then had me drive him around the neighborhood for a while. At one point he said something I did not understand. I turned and looked at him to ask him what he had said. Then he said clear as day "Look at me again and I'll blow you away".

He had me pull the car into an empty dirt road behind a mall, told me to get out and open the trunk. I think the plan was to put me in the trunk. I don't know what would have happened after that. The good news for me was the trunk was full of tools and repair parts that were part of my job. He asked what that stuff was, and I told him it was very valuable equipment that he could sell for a lot of money. That got him thinking, so I asked him if I could take off. He agreed, but only admonishing me not to tell anyone.

I was a youngster at that time. Maybe 21 years old. I had no weapons. I guess that anytime you walk away from a violent crime without injury it is a good thing. But I wonder what would have happened if I had been armed. I knew he was coming, but what would the outcome have been.

FYI just writing about it brings back some ugly memories and has my pulse racing. But I am alive today to tell the story... that is a good thing. The night that happened I drank a six-pack in record time. The second six-pack went down just a bit slower.

I did not know this was going to happen. I could not plan that this would happen. I did not leave the house that morning expecting to be kidnapped. And I wish I had been prepared for the attack.

Thanks for listening.

Rich

Thanks for surviving and sharing Rich. Wow.

Do you carry today because of that? Do you carry at all? That kind of thing must really open your eyes and make you appreciate life.

If you don't mind me asking, would you have done anything different in that same situation today? I've never been there, and I'd like to think I know how I'd react, but everything's fluid in a situation like that, and even the best laid plans can unravel in the heat of the moment.

Just one more reminder to be careful out there.

Tough question... would I have done anything different when carrying. I think I would have had time to turn and draw. But I really don't know for sure. My instincts were good, but I did not have the tools necessary to respond.

As I said, the outcome was the best possible... I walked away (well... actually ran like hell away!). But if I'd had my trusty S&W 642 in my pocket the event probably would have been unfolded very differently. I knew something was coming, but I don't really remember how much time I had to respond.

I worked at Xerox at the time repairing copiers. I was fixing a copier at a telephone company central office on a side street. They had an armed guard there. I mentioned what happened to the client later on and she said it happened there all the time. That is why they had the armed guard. When I asked why the guard stayed inside, she said because he too had been robbed.

Go figure...

Rich

Thanks for surviving and sharing Rich. Wow.

Do you carry today because of that? Do you carry at all? That kind of thing must really open your eyes and make you appreciate life.

If you don't mind me asking, would you have done anything different in that same situation today? I've never been there, and I'd like to think I know how I'd react, but everything's fluid in a situation like that, and even the best laid plans can unravel in the heat of the moment.

Just one more reminder to be careful out there.

My instincts were good, but I did not have the tools necessary to respond.

I think that's one of the best descriptions I've read. Being street smart and aware are all great things, but you need to be able to react with the tools for the job.

When I asked why the guard stayed inside, she said because he too had been robbed.

I'm simply [shocked]

I'm glad to see that you're alive and well, and thanks again for sharing.

I can relate to this guy. I too like to put myself in risky situations.
i like to charter a boat to shark infested waters, pour blood in the water, wait for the frenzy to start, then jump in the water. can you believe that those sharks wanted to eat me? i must have looked like prey. imagine that.

i get the free country thing, but in this case....he was just lookin for trouble and took unnecessary risk.

ok guys, commence bashing for being devils advocate.

Nope I feel the same way. No bashing from me.

Very crazy story though.

This is one of two things he did "wrong".

1. Don't make the gun think your invincible. Don't start visiting the "rough parts of town" just because you're packing heat. It ain't worth it. The best gun fight you win is the one you completely avoid.

2. Don't turn your back. The author made is sound like he totally faced the other way when he was "propositioned". I wouldn't have done that. He could have been shot, or stabbed without warning.

Of course, YMMV.

+10000

Why, in the name of all that's holy, would you turn your back on someone threatening you? Dumb SOB is lucky to be alive.

My instincts kicked in and I doubled up my speed towards the car. He turned around and ran in my direction with the gun out.

If you were young and spry you should have kept on running. People can't aim worth $@!# when running and he only had -at most- 6 shots to figure this out.

If he did get you in the car, buckle up, drive as fast as you think you can get away with and then head-on the nearest telephone pole.

As for the OP: He should never have gotten in that mess to begin with. You should always be scanning people around you. If some guy who I don't know was running straight for me in a bad neighborhood with out of season cloths on...

If you were young and spry you should have kept on running. People can't aim worth $@!# when running and he only had -at most- 6 shots to figure this out.

I agree with you completely. Problem is when under that stress you may not think clearly. I just wanted to get in the car and drive away. If I had been thinking clearly I would have realized there was not time to do that.

Thinking back there was time for me to get the car door open and get in the car. As I was trying to close the door he shoved the gun in my face. That also tells me I would have had time run around the front of the car for some cover and to draw a weapon in self defense.

Without a weapon I could have run out into the street, giving me some protection from the cars parked on both sides, and run like hell and make a ton of noise.

But sometimes it is hard to think clearly under stress.

In terms of ramming the car into a pole... it was a company car... would have had no problem with that!

Rich

definitely wouldn't have turned my back on the guy and most likely my gun would have come out when he told me he was going to attack me if i didn't comply. if someone is making a threat like that i am going to assume they aren't screwing around.

+1

No handwringing here about what the police/press/neighbors/DA/my mom will think if I pull a pistol on some douchebag who is verbally threatening me with deadly force and has his hands hidden away.

You say you're gonna shoot me, be damn well and ready to do it. Because I am.

he

waited too long and made a bad decision . The scumbag made a threat,
turn around and go backwards, if he keeps coming Draw, and see what happens. I would wait until he draws his knife, and then shoot.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom