Thinking revolver, please help

That's the big question. Next gun (not for months but starting to look) is going to be a revolver. What I want is help choosing...
A) .38
Extra carry gun and as simple as I can as for

B) .357
Fun range gun, 2 ammo types can be used, and powerful bed side gun, but would likely be to big to carry with a decent barrel (correct me if I'm wrong but a snub nosed .357 seems like it would loose most of its advantages over a .38)

C).45/.410 governor
Great bed side gun, fun to shoot, almost impossible to carry

D)other caliber
Everything from black power to .44 mag. I wouldn't mind a older style single action, everyone should have at least one "cowboy gun". Just like everyone needs an AK and a AR. But more power means less use as bedside gun (thin walls, kids next room over and neighbors near in all directions) and bigger means less use for concealed carry

I already have a pocket carry .380 and a full size .40 so I don't NEED to fill any nitch just looking to add to the overall collection. discuss....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Buy em all. I would buy a S&W 360 PD in .357 mag (love mine) OR a 351 S&W in .22 mag.

I completely forgot the poor bastard child .22
Wouldn't be opposed to one, either a mini for deep pocket and or back up, or one for target shooting and for getting new shooters into it (only have a rifle in .22 so far)

Start with a 4" .357 revolver, you can carry it, shoot 38's and 357's and still get shots on paper at 50 ft. Lots of used Smiths and Rugers around. After you like that then you start to get the 2" carry, the 6" target, the .44 mag and collect the whole set.

Find a Dan Wesson 15-2 or 715 then change barrels and grips to your heart's content... 2.5" for carry up to 15" for those longer shots. [smile]

I have a 2.25" SP101 in 357 with the bobbed hammer. Your welcome to try it sometime at the Taunton Range. the 357 isn't bad and it is easy to carry/conceal

Last edited:
So far it looks like it's trending towards a .357 with a barrel in the 4"-6" range. Sounds about right....

Though I half expected the first dozen pages to be about calibers I've never heard of and why everyone should carry a 500 Smith and Wesson....

Get a 4" medium-framed .357. I prefer S&W K-frames (Model 19/66). If you are ever up near Harvard Sportsmen's, you can give mine a try.

Why cant you carry the govenor or judge? Its not that big its not like its a mag500

Not as big as a 500 true, but its a close second as far as thickness goes. It's definitely shorter overall, but pretty thick. No experience with it but I bet it would majoraly print in just about any iwb holster

I just picked up a sweet shooting S&W 686 3" Talo with a real nice trigger job. Love the 3" for it's compact size but it shoots nicely in .38 or .357 very accurately out to 50'. Have not tried farther than 50' so not quite sure of it's outer limits just yet. I really love the look and feel of the 3" package.

4" GP 100 and 6" S&W 686 (neither are carry pieces). Of the two, I prefer the S&W more, but it's probably due to the
balance of the 6" barrel.

Having the ability to interchange ammo is a nice plus.

If both had the same barrel length, it would be a tough call.

Probably not a great carry gun but a Ruger blackhawk convertible single action in 357/38 with the 9 mm cylinder. More versatility as far as Ammo is concerned. Sweet shooter.

I have a 2.25" SP101 in 357 with the bobbed hammer. Your welcome to try it sometime at the Taunton Range. the 357 isn't bad and it is easy to carry/conceal

I have the same gun. I have not left the house in 2 years without it. Sucks up a bit more recoil than the j frame smiths in 357 as it is a tad larger and heavier. It is fun to shoot, simple to use, looks good, and solid! Takes some practice to get used to the double action trigger but that is part of the fun! You mentioned that you have heard 357 mag loses its advantage over 38 spec out of a 2 inch barrel.........I've read both sides of that argument. Put it this way..........a 158 grain 38 special goes through my sp101 like butter.......a 158 grain 357 magnum barks like a cannon and stings my hand with the snappy recoil. I find it hard to believe all that extra recoil is not pushing that projo out much faster given the same weight bullet.

S&W 625.
45 ACP or 45 auto rim
Moon clips
can handle 460 rowland if you ream the chamber 1/16" or so deeper.
awesome triggers
super accurate
all around awesome and versatile firearm.

i load mine with some data from handled that brian pearce listed. Basically a 250 grain SWC around 950 FPS. Thats better than 45 colt out of a much cheaper case, with much less powder and well with in the working limits of the gun. Accurate as all get out too. Shooting shotgun hulls on the 30 yard berm as long as i do my part. Shooting 18" steel at 200 yards as long as i do my part

Back
Top Bottom