Thinking revolver, please help

a) Ever since I was a kid I loved the .357 Magnum. No idea why but that's why my first gun was my GP100.
b) I'm taking a hiatus from buying guns. Long story.
c) Everyone I've talked to that bought a 500, sold it after a dozen (not literally) rounds at a huge loss. No thanks. Besides, how much is 500 ammo these days??
d) I'd love to try the larger revolver calibers: .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .500 S&W, etc. In that order. (hint hint, nudge nudge... anyone? [wink])

I can put you behind everything up to .454 Ruger Alaskan. Pm me if you wanna.

Ive had experience with the Governor, may even buy someday just because I think its really cool and yeah, its a very apt possibility as a carry piece....

BUT

My strongest recommendation would be a .357 revolver. My go-to for CCW and for the bedside is my 686. Yes, Glocks are great, guns with more capacity are great, but to me, the 686 (4") is typically all the gun I need. I have a Glock 23 - shoot it well, have mags and a ton of ammo for it, but I may go the route of trading it for an AR in the near future just because it sees very little use.

Your mileage may vary.

Aside from the 686, I LOVE the Ruger GP100 - heavier, sure, but built like the titanic - only reason I went with the 686 is because a) Im a smith and Wesson fanboy and b) the trigger is SLIGHTLY, and I mean SLIGHTLY better on the 686. Again, your mileage may vary.

As will be said, try a lot of revolvers to suit your preference and lock in your choice. I DID love that Governor and the fact that it affords you 3 calibers to play with, but for me, nothing screams so viscerally "GUN" or revolver than a stainless 686.

THE ONLY thing Id carry other than a 686 in terms of revolvers is a Colt Python - BUT that's so far out of my budget and is so rarely ever shot because its a collector's piece. I'm not one for collecting anything, at least nothing that loses value when you actually shoot it because I dunno, I think guns are meant to be shot and enjoyed for the sheer pleasure of shooting them.

Again, your mileage may vary.

That's the big question. Next gun (not for months but starting to look) is going to be a revolver. What I want is help choosing...
A) .38
Extra carry gun and as simple as I can as for

B) .357
Fun range gun, 2 ammo types can be used, and powerful bed side gun, but would likely be to big to carry with a decent barrel (correct me if I'm wrong but a snub nosed .357 seems like it would loose most of its advantages over a .38)

C).45/.410 governor
Great bed side gun, fun to shoot, almost impossible to carry

D)other caliber
Everything from black power to .44 mag. I wouldn't mind a older style single action, everyone should have at least one "cowboy gun". Just like everyone needs an AK and a AR. But more power means less use as bedside gun (thin walls, kids next room over and neighbors near in all directions) and bigger means less use for concealed carry

I already have a pocket carry .380 and a full size .40 so I don't NEED to fill any nitch just looking to add to the overall collection. discuss....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Somewhat on topic: what are the hottest commercially available .357 Magnum loads and where can I get them? I shot a few loaded by my buddy a few years ago and it was F-U-N!
Buffalo bore 180 grain hard cast lead

great. now you guys have me looking at more revolvers. I suppose Im just not tacti-cool, but I am having this weird pull towards older designs like SAAs and have been drooling over some of the 1911s for sale in the classifieds.

Ruger SP 101 in .22 with the 4 inch barrel.

Sexy gun

A great way to spend hours at the range.

Throw in some snap caps and dry fire it 1000 times and its even better.

Check the action carefully on the SP101. I bought one because it's like a GP100 that's been thrown in the washer/dryer. Beautiful little gun, but it's taken a lot of work to get the action to anything like acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

a) Ever since I was a kid I loved the .357 Magnum. No idea why but that's why my first gun was my GP100.
b) I'm taking a hiatus from buying guns. Long story.
c) Everyone I've talked to that bought a 500, sold it after a dozen (not literally) rounds at a huge loss. No thanks. Besides, how much is 500 ammo these days??
d) I'd love to try the larger revolver calibers: .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .500 S&W, etc. In that order. (hint hint, nudge nudge... anyone? [wink])

I've got a .44 Mag Blackhawk. If you make it down to SouthEast CT, PM me in advance and you can shoot it at my club.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm latching on here.

What is a good .22lr revolver?

S&W 617. I'm partial to the 6" barrel, 10 shot cylinder, SS. Incredible action.

Not sure why you need a revolver for carry since you can get smaller lighter semi-autos with more ammo in them.

Having said that you're looking at a range/home defense revolver. (I'd still say get a powerful semi-auto with way more rounds for bedside, but to each their own).

I'd get a 4" .357 for range use. The barrel is long enough to make use of the .357's potential and you can still chamber .38spl. I'm sure this opinion won't be popular but I LOVE the idea of the Chiappa Rhino after seeing a recent Hickok45 review. I love the in-line bore axis so you don't get any muzzle rise.

Not sure why you need a revolver for carry since you can get smaller lighter semi-autos with more ammo in them.

Having said that you're looking at a range/home defense revolver. (I'd still say get a powerful semi-auto with way more rounds for bedside, but to each their own).

I'd get a 4" .357 for range use. The barrel is long enough to make use of the .357's potential and you can still chamber .38spl. I'm sure this opinion won't be popular but I LOVE the idea of the Chiappa Rhino after seeing a recent Hickok45 review. I love the in-line bore axis so you don't get any muzzle rise.
a revolver for carry is more than acceptable when compared to a semi auto if your criteria is to carry a gun that will:

1 never jam
2 if you have a "dud" the clearing procedure is "pull the trigger again"

some people have different criteria in what they want in a carry gun

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom