Thinking of making my own grips

So I have free time and don't feel like shelling out $90 on wood grips from eagle for my LCR. Based on a limited tool set (typical homeowner stuff, dremel, etc.), would it be feasible for me to make my own wood grips for an LCR? I'd try it for just about any other handgun, but for an LCR, I basically have to dig out the shape. Not sure if I can accomplish that with regular tools. Hell, not even sure how to start.

I'm not familiar with LCRs, but now that I've googled a picture of one I'll put it this way. Having been a woodworker for years, and with a basement full of specialized tools and lots of confidence in their use, I'll tell you there's no way I'd try this kind of grip. I could do it, but it would be a hassle and the end result wouldn't please me.

If you must do it, I'd assemble it in halves; accurately chisel or rout out a recess for the mainspring in each half, then glue them together. Carve the outside with gouges, files, chisels, and whatever else you can find that works. Then, find a way to secure the grip to the frame. I'd do it all with chisels, so you'll need some of those plus a way to keep them sharp. Your problem, in the end, will be figuring out how to hold the work securely while you carve it.

Good luck.

Thank you for your expert advice

If an experienced wood worker wouldn't do it and based on what you described, maybe shelling out $90 for the ugly eagle grips doesn't sound too bad. Or I could always get a S&W 442. Plenty of cheap wood grips available for those [smile].

Of course, there's another way to look at it: if you're thinking of getting into carving, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot on some cheap-ish wood. I just wouldn't expect perfection until (for me) the third try or so.

How are those grips secured, anyway? They don't just slide on, do they?

How are those grips secured, anyway? They don't just slide on, do they?

Single screw on the bottom. You can see it here:

tn_1-tfb.jpg

So I have free time and don't feel like shelling out $90 on wood grips from eagle for my LCR. Based on a limited tool set (typical homeowner stuff, dremel, etc.), would it be feasible for me to make my own wood grips for an LCR? I'd try it for just about any other handgun, but for an LCR, I basically have to dig out the shape. Not sure if I can accomplish that with regular tools. Hell, not even sure how to start.

I hate to discourage you, but making grips is not an easy task. I would leave it to the pros like Hogue.

Heck give it a shot....start whiddle'n looksxlike the hard part would be gutting the grip.
why not see if you could retrofit some other grips that are cheap

I bet borris could do it.......

I would do it as a 3 part lamination with the center slab being the thickness of the frame with the grain rotated horizontaly to give the screw some mechanical strength. A cherry contrast with oak slabs or rosewood and maple would be interesting combos.
Also, make a blank of the frame that you can slide your grip over, then clamp in a vise and it would be much easier to do the shapeing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom