Epoxy silicon carbide grips (CZ Shadow)

DW357

NES Member
I’m always trying to get a really good grip on my CZ SP-01 Shadow for action shooting, and over the years I’ve added grip/skateboard tape to the front and rear straps of the frame which helped. Then had some LOK extra wide palm swell grip panels.

Better but when my hands get sweaty I still find myself using a lot of ProGrip (essentially liquid chalk that dries your skin).

Then I came across a few shooters making custom grip modules on their Sig X5’s using epoxy and silicon carbide grit.

Decided to give it a try tonight using a 15 minute set epoxy and 60/90 coarse silicon carbide grit. Painted it on and then dumped the grit on it and let it set for about an hour and brushed off the excess. Big difference but I think I should have gone coarser such as the 46/70 grit. I feel like between sweat, dirt, fouling etc it may fill in the grit since it’s not super coarse. We shall see.
Looking forward to shooting it at a match now.
B780ED3B-E1FA-4E1D-9FBE-BBF02F144C61.jpeg
58B146FB-55D6-48B8-899B-B263B76880E2.jpegA5C34F20-6DCD-4B28-A16E-6FB2B6C956D0.jpeg

I’m always trying to get a really good grip on my CZ SP-01 Shadow for action shooting, and over the years I’ve added grip/skateboard tape to the front and rear straps of the frame which helped. Then had some LOK extra wide palm swell grip panels.

Better but when my hands get sweaty I still find myself using a lot of ProGrip (essentially liquid chalk that dries your skin).

Then I came across a few shooters making custom grip modules on their Sig X5’s using epoxy and silicon carbide grit.

Decided to give it a try tonight using a 15 minute set epoxy and 60/90 coarse silicon carbide grit. Painted it on and then dumped the grit on it and let it set for about an hour and brushed off the excess. Big difference but I think I should have gone coarser such as the 46/70 grit. I feel like between sweat, dirt, fouling etc it may fill in the grit since it’s not super coarse. We shall see.
View attachment 626555
View attachment 626554View attachment 626556

You have giant stones for using a JB Weld concoction anywhere near that beautiful CZ....I probably would have managed to glue the slide closed 😉

Nice work... I've done a grip reduction and silicone carbide on one of my 2011's. It adds a ton of grip and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on something that needed it.

Nice work... I've done a grip reduction and silicone carbide on one of my 2011's. It adds a ton of grip and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on something that needed it.
Awesome! Ya I’m convinced this is the way to go for the ultimate grip. Doesn’t look “pretty” but who cares, it’s a tool lol.

What grit did you use?

Nice- you can always scrub those modded grips if they get gunked up. Also you can get silicon carbide as coarse as 10-grit, in case you have any callouses hands you want gone :D . 46/70 might be a better size for grip.

Every consider VZ grips? The Delta Elite that I bought from a fellow NESer came with a set of VZ cheese graters. VZ Operator II (so you can be a tacticool operator) are the current ones with the very aggressive grip texture. I don't see the pattern as aggressive as the ones for the Delta- I think it was called 'Flesh Shredder'.

CZ 75 - VZ Operator II™

45764_source_1591720161.jpg

I have done several of these grips and can't tell much difference between 60/90 and 45/70. Same brand that you have. I have some 36 grit for the next one.

Nice- you can always scrub those modded grips if they get gunked up. Also you can get silicon carbide as coarse as 10-grit, in case you have any callouses hands you want gone :D . 46/70 might be a better size for grip.

Every consider VZ grips? The Delta Elite that I bought from a fellow NESer came with a set of VZ cheese graters. VZ Operator II (so you can be a tacticool operator) are the current ones with the very aggressive grip texture. I don't see the pattern as aggressive as the ones for the Delta- I think it was called 'Flesh Shredder'.

CZ 75 - VZ Operator II™

45764_source_1591720161.jpg
I’ve tried VZ and various LOK grips and they’re nice but they’re not as grippy as this grit texture

I have done several of these grips and can't tell much difference between 60/90 and 45/70. Same brand that you have. I have some 36 grit for the next one.
Interesting. Definitely report back when you do that

I’ve tried VZ and various LOK grips and they’re nice but they’re not as grippy as this grit texture
Good to know.

FYI, silicon carbide is going to the the sharpest but a close second would be aluminum oxide. White aluminum oxide in a single layer would be clear-ish and the color of the grips should show through if your adhesive is clear.

The very old school grip is 'same' (sah-may) aka ray skin used for the handles of Japanese swords.

xFull-rayskin.jpg.pagespeed.ic.L3Tq4UzBOa.jpg

I had a wallet made of this stuff and the inside of the wallet wore out before the ray skin did.

View attachment 626555
if you really want to go that far - what you aim for was already solved by all tennis players. a tennis racket wrap. leather, suede, etc.
for me personally, on a target pistol there is nothing better than natural wood. it is good on a hand and has good texture.
what i have there now on a shadow - the palm swell bogies work great. that structure is sharp enough not to slip, ever.

if you really want to go that far - what you aim for was already solved by all tennis players. a tennis racket wrap. leather, suede, etc.
for me personally, on a target pistol there is nothing better than natural wood. it is good on a hand and has good texture.
what i have there now on a shadow - the palm swell bogies work great. that structure is sharp enough not to slip, ever.
Might work for tennis rackets but I don’t know anyone in the action shooting sports using leather or suede grips 😂
Might be a select few I know using wood for revolver or 1911 grips but that’s it.

Whatever works for you. I just know when shooting a match in the warm summer months, I need all the grip I can get. Progrip helps a lot but I wanted even more grip on the gun. It’s critical in shooting fast and accurately.

Might work for tennis rackets but I don’t know anyone in the action shooting sports using leather or suede grips 😂
Don’t be afraid to be the first. :)

Look at the katana handle with rayskin and wrap - to replicate that would be pretty cool.

I used one of those (without the rubber pad) for a short time while I was in the car driving to matches. I now have a very tender left hand middle finger. Hurts to touch the bottom third of the finger. I attribute that to the captain of crush grip trainer and/or doing pull/chin ups with my fingers in my doorways at home 😂 😭

It’s been like this for over a month I should probably reach out to my doctor…

I used one of those (without the rubber pad) for a short time while I was in the car driving to matches. I now have a very tender left hand middle finger. Hurts to touch the bottom third of the finger. I attribute that to the captain of crush grip trainer and/or doing pull/chin ups with my fingers in my doorways at home 😂 😭

It’s been like this for over a month I should probably reach out to my doctor…
Lol. Don’t use one before a match. It’s like jerking off before sex and now you have a callus to boot!!!

View attachment 626555
I realize that I am a little late to the party with the reply. I was looking to try this technique. Any chance that you still have this stuff laying about and if so, would you sell the rest? I can order it but it will take a week!. 🤣
Thanks in advance

I realize that I am a little late to the party with the reply. I was looking to try this technique. Any chance that you still have this stuff laying about and if so, would you sell the rest? I can order it but it will take a week!. 🤣
Thanks in advance
Possibly. If you can come to my work near Wilmington tomorrow. Otherwise I’m home in Gloucester this weekend 😂

Back
Top Bottom