• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about getting a 9mm pistol

Golddiggie

NES Member
For a long-asses-time I've NOT been a fan of 9mm, and not afraid to say so. But I think it's come time to at least see if there's SOMETHING out there that I would like enough to own. So I'm posting this up.

I'm hoping to be able to actually TRY out the pistol I'd consider getting before spending money on it. So if anyone has something in 9mm, that's hammer fired (not interested in striker fired guns, period) that would be ok with me running a magazine (or two) through, contact me. I'll be looking for something that comes in a free state version (more than 10 rounds in a magazine). Bonus for the ability to carry in condition one as well (it's my SOP when carrying). Decocker would be ok too. Also not interested in something pocket sized. Which means more than a 3" barrel. The shortest barrel in any pistol I have is just a nut-hair under 4" now. My regular carry gun is 4.33".

I'll bring the ammo to run through it, so the range needs to be in NH. Luckily, I'm minutes from Pelham fish and game.

I found I can shoot a 1911 really well, but cannot hit anything with a Sig, so I've decided to not fight it anymore and just go 1911. So maybe consider a 1911 in 9mm if you like it in .45.

I'm ok with the HK45c that I own. I'm open to trying some others to see how I like them. Just not ready to drop a good chunk on something withpug knowing for certain I'll like it.

Regardless of its flaws (slides breaking), I really loved the M9 (personally owned a Beretta 92FS, but I liked my issued M9s better due to the bar-dot sights). They are great shooting guns, and in my opinion an excellent duty pistol.

Is carrying a priority, or are you ok with a full sized range toy? (not that you cant carry a full size).
For example, i prefer a 226 over a 229, but the 229 is slightly smaller for trying to conceal. So i would say check out a 229 if carrying is a priority.
Now if you are going to continue to carry whatever you are now and are looking for a 9MM range toy, i would seriously check out some flavor of the CZ-75. Personally, i would be waiting for the Shadow 2 OR due out this year. Or an Accushadow.
Luckily, you have good options in NH... Technically, this is a pistol as well: AR9 Pistol – Wilson Combat

Guns that I own that you're welcome to try out:

CZ SP01 (with upgraded Cajun internals) - whenever I take people to the range, and this gun is among those that I bring... people always tell me this is their favorite.
CZ P01 or 75 Compact
Sig P226/228

Guns that I've owned or shot in the past that you may want to check out:

CZ 75
HK P30

Henry, give the Sig X-Five a shot. It's big and bulky but so easy to shoot accurately.

Alternatively, my new fav 9mm is the Canik series of striker fired 9mm. A lot of value for the price.

I have both and you're always welcome to shoot them.

I found I can shoot a 1911 really well, but cannot hit anything with a Sig, so I've decided to not fight it anymore and just go 1911. So maybe consider a 1911 in 9mm if you like it in .45.

92A1 or HK P30. my P30 or P30L are probably the two finest pistols I own. USP internals and design with modernized ergos. just can't beat it. anyone who shoots my P30 falls in love with it. the trigger is great for a combat style trigger. that is the reset is a bit long by some people's standards. honestly if one learns to just press their shots correctly the trigger is just fine. for those who need a perfect trigger can send it to Gray Guns and let them work the magic.

IMO can never go wrong with a beretta. the 92A1 to me is the correct version of the gun given dovetailed sights, rail, internal shock buffer, etc

maybe a P226/229 but given Sig's current production quality I would try to find an older model with short extractor (before Sig went all craptastic).

If you haven't tried hk's lem trigger you might like it. It's a good combo of hammer fired safety and striker fired simplicity. This would open up the p2000sk and p30sk for you or their full size stuff if it suits you.

9 mm? You don’t have one!?!?!

It’s ok. I have 200 rounds of .45 and don’t have one of those. Yet. Yet.

9mm to me is like 4 door sedans. Ubiquitous and essentially all the same. Yeah, if you’re tall or fat or short and skinny or any combination, some will be better than others.

But damn it man! Get a 9mm flinger soon!

Is carrying a priority, or are you ok with a full sized range toy? (not that you cant carry a full size).
For example, i prefer a 226 over a 229, but the 229 is slightly smaller for trying to conceal. So i would say check out a 229 if carrying is a priority.
Now if you are going to continue to carry whatever you are now and are looking for a 9MM range toy, i would seriously check out some flavor of the CZ-75. Personally, i would be waiting for the Shadow 2 OR due out this year. Or an Accushadow.
Luckily, you have good options in NH... Technically, this is a pistol as well: AR9 Pistol – Wilson Combat
I've been thinking about setting up one of my AR lowers for a pistol caliber... Thing is, I want to have the ability to go to .45 ACP too. :) Hardest thing to find, so far, is the mag well block for .45 ACP. I see it for 9mm, but not 45... :(

Starting to see a list of options... I have no issue carrying a full size pistol (5" barrel). Sure, I'd like it to be in the 4-4.5" range though. I'm not really interested in something under 4". It would need to be good at the range too, since that's where I'll practice. They seem to frown on "practice" in "the hood" for some strange reason. [rofl2]

in terms of the P30 some dealers are still selling them at rape prices of $900 or whatever absurd. mentioned in some other threads but the current production P30 prices are down around $600 or less. considering the production quality they're probably one of the better value pistols now. of all the HK's I've owned, I have never had to troubleshoot an stoppage or even had to drift a sight to correct POI. while i'm sure they've had their share of production issues, I've personally never seen any.

Based on OP you need a Beretta 92FS Vertec

AFAIK the vertec is no longer in production. i sold mine on GB a while back for crazy high price because apparently some beretta freaks out there are willing to drop coin on a LNIB vertec. the so-called "M9A3" is a vertec with a few fancy upgrades. while the M9A3 looks nice, I find it hilarious that Beretta went ahead and gave it a military designation name then the military said no thanks.

while the M9A3 is a sweet gun, unless someone needs the threaded barrel it's not worth the $$ above a 92A1

Last edited:
I have a Sig P226 and I am also a member at Pelham. That said my next 9mm will be a CZ75 variant.

I'm ok with the HK45c that I own. I'm open to trying some others to see how I like them. Just not ready to drop a good chunk on something withpug knowing for certain I'll like it.

Have you tried a P30 or USP Compact 9mm? The former feels better in the hand, the latter is good if you want the USP style controls and easy of changing variants.

I greatly prefer my CZ P01 to my USPc, which is why it’s on sale. The HKs are primo but have a lot of muzzle flip compared to the CZ. It’s my favorite compact DA/SA.

I think you will like the ergos of a CZ-75 and its many variants. I found its grip to be fullfilling somewhat like a Para Ordnance I seem to recall you may be familiar? Personally I have an EAA Witness steel frame in 38 Super cued up for purchase. I think you will like the design. A real smooth shooter...

Back
Top Bottom