• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking about getting a 9mm pistol

I have owned a Taurus PT-99 since the late 80's, obviously pre-ban, and I have never had an issue with it. It is a fantastic weapon and a pleasure to shoot, but it is rather large and not my preference for CCW. If you should ever find your way down to MA, I would be glad to meet you at my range and let you put some rounds through it.

I think you will like the ergos of a CZ-75 and its many variants. I found its grip to be fullfilling somewhat like a Para Ordnance I seem to recall you may be familiar? Personally I have an EAA Witness steel frame in 38 Super cued up for purchase. I think you will like the design. A real smooth shooter...
Yup, I have a P14 right now...

I've not tried any 9mm pistol to date. Which is why I started the thread. I think I need to get some range time with the options. Especially those some people are mentioning here (that meet the requirements).

The main reason I've not dropped the LEM pack into my HK45C is that it would convert to DAO. I'm a die-hard 1911 man, so I need at least the ability for it to be SA.

Hk p30 series just had a nice price drop. I really like the ergos and trigger. Multiple options in regards to barrel length and safety/decocker. For more money an HK USP9 is a really nice shooter. Especially in the expert or elite models. Beretta m9a3 is also a good option if you don’t like polymer. I just like the HK platforms.

Another vote for Beretta 92. I like the balance, size and weight of the compact or vertec models. It has everything you are looking for: Hammer fired, 15 round pre-ban mags, decocker, stainless or blued finish, custom grip options, proven design, good trigger, condition one carry or DA carry. The only cons I can think of is the grip can be a little fat if you have small hands and it is DA/SA if you want SAO.

"pre-ban mags"??? What are those?? [rofl2]

I see Brownells has 15, 17, 20 and 30 round mags for the 92...

I'd like to shoot samples of these before dropping coin on one.

I swear by my Sig P229. First tried one at a rental range when their M9 was out for repair for a broken slide. I carried an M9 in The Corps and still love it, but it was instantly overtaken by the P229 for the title of my favorite.

When I finally got my LTC years later, a P229 was my very first purchase (straight out of the NES classifieds). It's accurate, reliable, eats any ammo I run through it, and is small enough to conceal. The DA/SA trigger is great, the decocker gives me a lot of peace of mind, and standard capacity magazines are easy to find (even in the DPRM, you can get preban P226 15 rounders that fit the P229 with an X-Grip adapter.

The pic is 100 rounds from about 15 yards (including a couple of mag dumps) on my last trip to Granite State.

Attachments

• 20180311_150650.jpg
    20180311_150650.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 34
its a little lacking in your wants but i bought a estate and in it there was a S&W 52-2 its a single stack 9mm and for years it sat in the draw because 9mm single stack....yuk. Anyhow finally brought it out and shot it. its a nice little gun. I don't know why but i like the early gen SW
9XXX series. I even have a first gen 4013...i know 40 right but you know it fits my hand nice (double stack grip but 10 round mags) draws well points where im looking and i can shoot it pretty darn good.

This thread says so much about the "Glock fanboy"! OP says hammer fired and not interested in striker fired at all.......and the first reply......the FIRST...... f***ing......... reply:

"I'll let you try my g43 or g19".

Jeeeezus f***ing Christ.[rolleyes]

Last edited:
This thread says so much about the "Glock fanboy"! OP says hammer fired and not interested in striker fired at all.......and the first reply......the FIRST...... f***ing......... reply:

I’ll let you try my G21. Its a 45 acp, nice and slow muzzle velocity. Bullets drop like a foot at 15 yards. :eek:

S&W 59xx or 39xx series, older but plenty of very good condition unit out there. Also more than enough pre-ban mags. There is a newer version made, I think it's the 910 (MA 10 round version) but it takes the 59xx series mags so that isn't an issue. Many years ago I had a 59 (just 59), now long gone. More recently got a 659 at a dshow that was in new condition.

Not a light gun or a small gun (the compact version is a little better), best if you have big hands.

I missed if you said what it's for, is it CC? If it is CC I wouldn't go with anything other than the compact version.

The P320 is nice too.

in terms of the P30 some dealers are still selling them at rape prices of $900 or whatever absurd. mentioned in some other threads but the current production P30 prices are down around $600 or less. considering the production quality they're probably one of the better value pistols now. of all the HK's I've owned, I have never had to troubleshoot an stoppage or even had to drift a sight to correct POI. while i'm sure they've had their share of production issues, I've personally never seen any.

And Colion Noir says it has the best ergonomics of any pistol, ever.

And Colion Noir says it has the best ergonomics of any pistol, ever.
Ok. Not sure what your angle is on this comment.....so I'll just give you my 2 cents. I'm assuming your comment was sarcasm.....you'll have to bear with me though my personal sarcasm meter can mis read sometimes.

Colion noir......a pretty good advocate for "gun rights".......not so much an expert on "guns".

For a long-asses-time I've NOT been a fan of 9mm, and not afraid to say so. But I think it's come time to at least see if there's SOMETHING out there that I would like enough to own. So I'm posting this up.

I'm hoping to be able to actually TRY out the pistol I'd consider getting before spending money on it. So if anyone has something in 9mm, that's hammer fired (not interested in striker fired guns, period) that would be ok with me running a magazine (or two) through, contact me. I'll be looking for something that comes in a free state version (more than 10 rounds in a magazine). Bonus for the ability to carry in condition one as well (it's my SOP when carrying). Decocker would be ok too. Also not interested in something pocket sized. Which means more than a 3" barrel. The shortest barrel in any pistol I have is just a nut-hair under 4" now. My regular carry gun is 4.33".

I'll bring the ammo to run through it, so the range needs to be in NH. Luckily, I'm minutes from Pelham fish and game.
browning hi power if you can find one at the right price; all steel classic, hi cap mags and everything else you will need in a 9mm

Hey gold, being from Pelham, you're not too far from me, if you ever want to try something like my 226 SAO, (and others) I could meet up with you on a day off. (edit: realize he lives in Pelham, NH and not Pelham, MA) :p That thing is a dream to shoot, plus controls are really similar to 1911 with lots more rounds!
I'd also suggest any of the CZ hammer fired, the 92, and BHP if you can find one.

Last edited:
Hk p30 series just had a nice price drop. I really like the ergos and trigger. Multiple options in regards to barrel length and safety/decocker. For more money an HK USP9 is a really nice shooter. Especially in the expert or elite models. Beretta m9a3 is also a good option if you don’t like polymer. I just like the HK platforms.

Was hoping the P30 would drop to $600 at Cabelas but no luck. I hope it’s not like when Sig moved production to the US.

I'll be the odd man out here. SIG SP2022. It's as accurate as my 229, and its lighter. Barrel is 3.85, packs 15+1, and mine is an oddball with a manual safety, but they're hard to find. Also, the fact that it's half the price of a P series ain't half bad.

IMO, one of the most under-rated and unappreciated guns Sig ever made. Doesn't get nearly the love it should. For some reason it slides under the radar, and can frequently be found pretty cheap.

I'm not a Glock fanboy by any means, those are just the only 9mm pistols I have anymore. I didn't read the no-striker part, admittedly because I saw an opportunity to meet up and shoot with a guy from the forums who wanted to try a 9mm and rushed to reply. I already apologized for my lack of reading comprehension in this thread.

At least my reply was intended to be helpful. Can hardly say the same about yours.

I'm not a Glock fanboy by any means, those are just the only 9mm pistols I have anymore. I didn't read the no-striker part, admittedly because I saw an opportunity to meet up and shoot with a guy from the forums who wanted to try a 9mm and rushed to reply. I already apologized for my lack of reading comprehension in this thread.

At least my reply was intended to be helpful. Can hardly say the same about yours.
I stir the pot sometimes. It's what I do.

Can never turn down an opportunity to bash Glock......it's also what I do.

Bottom line.....ease up a bit.....power down.....it's just NES......and it's just a joke.

There are Smith & Wesson 5906 models available, not made anymore but these seem to be available for pretty cheap, have pre ban double stack magazines available, and are very well made and nice.

There are Smith & Wesson 5906 models available, not made anymore but these seem to be available for pretty cheap, have pre ban double stack magazines available, and are very well made and nice.
In case anyone has missed my location (NH) absolutely no Fs given for "pre-ban" mags. As long as I can get good capacity new manufactured magazines (no need for nanny state rated) I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom