These girls knows how to do it

AR15 bullet: Up to 3260 ft/sec; which is .617 miles/sec; or 2,221.2 MPH.

2 miles is 10,560 feet.

If I have a map on my screen that has a length of 2 miles in it.

It would take 3.24 seconds to move my mouse pointer those 2 miles on the map.

My counting One Mississippi, Two Mississipi, Three Mississippi and moving my pointer on the screen in that time frame - that is how fast a bullet goes.

The route in blue is about 2 miles. (for distance purposes)

From end to end it takes 3 seconds for a bullet to travel that far.

Each different firearm and bullet will have a different range, with tons of other variables including weather, windspeed, the trajectory, and so on. For the sake of consistency, we're going to assume that you are aiming for max distance with whatever gun and bullet you choose, and that you've chosen a fairly standard shooting apparatus. According to the National Rifle Association, if you're going for distance, the optimal angle of elevation is around 30 degrees from horizontal.

The NRA says that for a 9 mm handgun, the most popular handgun according to Guns.com, a bullet will travel up to 2,130 yards, or about 1.2 miles. For a Colt .45, the next most popular handgun, you're looking at about 1,850 yards, which is just about 1 mile.

Of course, handguns aren't long-distance firearms. Rifles are built to be more accurate from greater distances. The notorious AR-15 rifle is the most popular, according to the NRA, and its maximum range is around 3,840 yards, or 2.2 miles. Bear in mind, those of you with dreams of long-distance hunting, that maximum range is far from effective range, so the odds of hitting a target at that distance are slim.

If you're wondering what the maximum distance is that a gun has ever been used effectively, BBC says it's 3,870 yards, just over 2.2 miles. A Canadian special forces sniper made the shot in Iraq in 2017, killing an Islamic State militant.

Read More: How Far Can A Bullet Travel?

So, if you fire a gun at 30 degrees, it could travel 2 miles which would take 3 seconds for the maximum distance.

For maximum time in the air you can shoot it straight up.

For the next question, imagine the trajectory shown as an arc over 2 miles.

Can any physics majors confirm this?

View attachment 566892

Pro-tip: If you right click in Google Maps and select "measure distance", you can set two cursor points and have a linear measurement with a visible ruler. You can then pull either end to re-orient, stretch or shrink. Slightly better for this application over driving routes.

They broke down a line item price sheet and surprisingly the weapon wasn't the expensive part, it was the weather and thermal imagery that enabled the info to make that shot. It was something along the lines of $140k in equipment with the rifle and optics only being $14k of it.

Dude, I would just buy like a 100 rounds, and just keep shooting, bound to hit it at least once or twice......There ya go, $50, mission accomplished.
....all I need now is a sexy ass that wiggles like that.

Someone here will be out shortly claiming they can do that all day long, with nothing more than iron sights on any service rifle made after 1890 and factory ammunition.

Oh stop. I could do that by throwing gravel into my front-stuffer and firing it. It's not that hard.

I just have no concept of how fast a bullet flies.

Have you ever watched golf on TV recently?

They have over head views of the flight of a golf ball.

You can get an idea who fast its going because you have trees and people and buildings on the ground to create a scale in your mind.

My only other reference is with video games where you see the bullet or missile travel across the screen.

I want to see a virtual animation.

I'm sure such data exists to train shooters and for scientific purposes.

I forgot all my algebra 2 where we made plots.

The first electronic computer was designed to calculate the angle for cannons in WW2.

There must be animations of that but I just don't know what to look under in youtube.

Oh I concur. But it would be an amazing thing to see given teh Coriolis effect. (That is what it is, right? At 2 miles and a few seconds of travel time, you need to factor in the rotation of the Urf.)

Someone here will be out shortly claiming they can do that all day long, with nothing more than iron sights on any service rifle made after 1890 and factory ammunition
service rifle, pfffft. I can do that all day every day, and twice on Sunday, with an M&P .40 and cheap steel russian ammo.

Someone here will be out shortly claiming they can do that all day long, with nothing more than iron sights on any service rifle made after 1890 and factory ammunition.
Though scopes are becoming the norm, you still see some iron sights in high power out to 600 yards. Not that uncommon at 1000 yards either, but it's a big f-ing bullseye.

AR15 bullet: Up to 3260 ft/sec; which is .617 miles/sec; or 2,221.2 MPH.

2 miles is 10,560 feet.

If I have a map on my screen that has a length of 2 miles in it.

It would take 3.24 seconds to move my mouse pointer those 2 miles on the map.

My counting One Mississippi, Two Mississipi, Three Mississippi and moving my pointer on the screen in that time frame - that is how fast a bullet goes.

The route in blue is about 2 miles. (for distance purposes)

From end to end it takes 3 seconds for a bullet to travel that far.

Each different firearm and bullet will have a different range, with tons of other variables including weather, windspeed, the trajectory, and so on. For the sake of consistency, we're going to assume that you are aiming for max distance with whatever gun and bullet you choose, and that you've chosen a fairly standard shooting apparatus. According to the National Rifle Association, if you're going for distance, the optimal angle of elevation is around 30 degrees from horizontal.

The NRA says that for a 9 mm handgun, the most popular handgun according to Guns.com, a bullet will travel up to 2,130 yards, or about 1.2 miles. For a Colt .45, the next most popular handgun, you're looking at about 1,850 yards, which is just about 1 mile.

Of course, handguns aren't long-distance firearms. Rifles are built to be more accurate from greater distances. The notorious AR-15 rifle is the most popular, according to the NRA, and its maximum range is around 3,840 yards, or 2.2 miles. Bear in mind, those of you with dreams of long-distance hunting, that maximum range is far from effective range, so the odds of hitting a target at that distance are slim.

If you're wondering what the maximum distance is that a gun has ever been used effectively, BBC says it's 3,870 yards, just over 2.2 miles. A Canadian special forces sniper made the shot in Iraq in 2017, killing an Islamic State militant.

Read More: How Far Can A Bullet Travel?

So, if you fire a gun at 30 degrees, it could travel 2 miles which would take 3 seconds for the maximum distance.

For maximum time in the air you can shoot it straight up.

For the next question, imagine the trajectory shown as an arc over 2 miles.

Can any physics majors confirm this?

View attachment 566892
Plug the numbers in

Well isn't that interesting.

They need to make it 3D with a real background like on golf.

I forgot this from Physics:

It appears as if the arc is symmetrical on either side of the peak.

Is that true with bullets or do they drop down suddenly?
Bullets drop at the same rate as anything else. Mass is not a factor nor is forward motion. Only variable (other than air) is velocity...the faster the less time it spends in the air and therefore drops less (flatter curve). The the right side of the arc should appear the same as the left assuming the impact is the same distance as the shooter is from the highest point.

If you could drop another bullet (at the same height as the peak) at the exact same time as the bullet peaks, they'll hit he ground at the same time.

Been watching for 10 minutes now.

Does she ever run out of bullets???

That rear end checks all my boxes and is dialed in real nice.

It's the ideal cut for rear ends.

Before long she'll have me shooting blanks.

Gun?

What gun?

Well isn't that interesting.

They need to make it 3D with a real background like on golf.

I forgot this from Physics:

It appears as if the arc is symmetrical on either side of the peak.

Is that true with bullets or do they drop down suddenly?
First time you heard that the acceleration of gravity is a constant?

i was wodering if anyone made a dopler radar for detecting wind velocity and direction. but i found this using Lidar:

looks pretty interesting. it uses dust particles in the air, and bounces laser light off of them. the returns have a doppler frequency shift that they can measure.

LOL - and they would be full of shit.
Marines shoot out to 500 yards and when I went through, we only had irons, not ACOGs like they do now.
At 500 your front sight completely covers the target. The first time I sighted a target at 500yards I said to myself, "No f***in way". But they show you how to figure it out and more than half my platoon shot expert, and we were not even the best platoon in the battalion.

I think it is amazing that they tech exists to get bullets to hit at that range, but 2 miles is still far enough to make those arty boys earn their pay
Know your holes.

So much of this is the time and discipline to learn your tool and it's capabilities.

One of the reasons why I like steel so much. That feedback of the sound when you make the hit gives your muscles and mind data which is really hard to get from paper through a glass (at least for me ).

While this is a cool thing. It also means that the person has. Wait. Is this their job or something? Lol. I wish I could go play at the range for five effing minutes right now. Instead I'm stuck in front of a computer for 60 hours a week.

Upside is, I finally bought ammo for the first time in 4 years!

Bullets drop at the same rate as anything else. Mass is not a factor nor is forward motion. Only variable (other than air) is velocity...the faster the less time it spends in the air and therefore drops less (flatter curve). The the right side of the arc should appear the same as the left assuming the impact is the same distance as the shooter is from the highest point.

If you could drop another bullet (at the same height as the peak) at the exact same time as the bullet peaks, they'll hit he ground at the same time.
And also assuming that you’re in a vacuum. Once you start adding wind factors, it affects distance travelled and, to a lesser extent, elevation.

Back
Top Bottom