These girls knows how to do it

That's like firing artillery with a 7.5 second time of flight. Hell, we fired Howitzers with less than 20 second times of flight.

That's Giving me a .50bmg woody!!!!

No not the picture above!!!

Here is a challenge for a scientific and artistically inclined shooter...

Can somebody create a satellite image with a distance scale at the bottom showing an animated arc and bullet flight at 2 miles???

I think it would show the "gravity" of the circumstance of a 2 mile shot.

It would be so cool to have an overhead view of the bullet flight on my computer screen to show how fast a bullet can cover 2 miles to scale on a computer screen.

It actually takes a few seconds if I recall.

Here is a challenge for a scientific and artistically inclined shooter...

Can somebody create a satellite image with a distance scale at the bottom showing an animated arc and bullet flight at 2 miles???

I think it would show the "gravity" of the circumstance of a 2 mile shot.

It would be so cool to have an overhead view of the bullet flight on my computer screen to show how fast a bullet can cover 2 miles to scale on a computer screen.

It actually takes a few seconds if I recall.

Depends on which direction they shot at. I would think firing due north or south would be least desirable. But the coolest overhead view.

Even cooler - Take the shot from the North Pole. I bet that would be interesting.

And I assume we are BOTH assuming geosynchronous type situation for the observation post.

I have to admit that it is impressive to put rounds on target at over 2 miles, but can't help but wonder how much is the shooter and how much is the equipment.
You run out of adjustment on your scope and they add that periscope optic to the front of the scope or the target would not even be visible. At 2 miles bullet drop is over 200 feet and a 5mph wing pushes the round more than 25 feet. It's like lobbing the round over a 20 story building.
The margin of error gets pretty small at that distance, and minute variations in wind and the bullet are amplified, so conditions have to be favorable and the equipment precise. Not something you can do with a Winchester Model 70.

I have to admit that it is impressive to put rounds on target at over 2 miles, but can't help but wonder how much is the shooter and how much is the equipment.
You run out of adjustment on your scope and they add that periscope optic to the front of the scope or the target would not even be visible. At 2 miles bullet drop is over 200 feet and a 5mph wing pushes the round more than 25 feet. It's like lobbing the round over a 20 story building.
The margin of error gets pretty small at that distance, and minute variations in wind and the bullet are amplified, so conditions have to be favorable and the equipment precise. Not something you can do with a Winchester Model 70.

Someone here will be out shortly claiming they can do that all day long, with nothing more than iron sights on any service rifle made after 1890 and factory ammunition.

Someone here will be out shortly claiming they can do that all day long, with nothing more than iron sights on any service rifle made after 1890 and factory ammunition.
LOL - and they would be full of shit.
Marines shoot out to 500 yards and when I went through, we only had irons, not ACOGs like they do now.
At 500 your front sight completely covers the target. The first time I sighted a target at 500yards I said to myself, "No f***in way". But they show you how to figure it out and more than half my platoon shot expert, and we were not even the best platoon in the battalion.

I think it is amazing that they tech exists to get bullets to hit at that range, but 2 miles is still far enough to make those arty boys earn their pay

Nice! Though I have to wonder how much a setup like that costs to make that kind of shot.
Years ago when 1 mile was a big deal, or maybe it was 2 miles, anyways, a magazine did an article on the feat. They delved into what it took and all. They broke down a line item price sheet and surprisingly the weapon wasn't the expensive part, it was the weather and thermal imagery that enabled the info to make that shot. It was something along the lines of $140k in equipment with the rifle and optics only being $14k of it. The optic of the time was some Vortex razor HD @ $4,300. I think now that same optic is under $2k.

While it all seems excessive, its those guys developing new technologies that make their way down the line and subsequently become affordable and available to us.

Best parallel I can draw is fishing electronics. My.boat has a Lowrance system. When new it was the latest and greatest at $1,500, now a few years later its maybe $500 tops

Depends on which direction they shot at. I would think firing due north or south would be least desirable. But the coolest overhead view.

Even cooler - Take the shot from the North Pole. I bet that would be interesting.

And I assume we are BOTH assuming geosynchronous type situation for the observation post.
I just have no concept of how fast a bullet flies.

Have you ever watched golf on TV recently?

They have over head views of the flight of a golf ball.

You can get an idea who fast its going because you have trees and people and buildings on the ground to create a scale in your mind.

My only other reference is with video games where you see the bullet or missile travel across the screen.

I want to see a virtual animation.

I'm sure such data exists to train shooters and for scientific purposes.

I forgot all my algebra 2 where we made plots.

The first electronic computer was designed to calculate the angle for cannons in WW2.

There must be animations of that but I just don't know what to look under in youtube.

AR15 bullet: Up to 3260 ft/sec; which is .617 miles/sec; or 2,221.2 MPH.

2 miles is 10,560 feet.

If I have a map on my screen that has a length of 2 miles in it.

It would take 3.24 seconds to move my mouse pointer those 2 miles on the map.

My counting One Mississippi, Two Mississipi, Three Mississippi and moving my pointer on the screen in that time frame - that is how fast a bullet goes.

The route in blue is about 2 miles. (for distance purposes)

From end to end it takes 3 seconds for a bullet to travel that far.

Each different firearm and bullet will have a different range, with tons of other variables including weather, windspeed, the trajectory, and so on. For the sake of consistency, we're going to assume that you are aiming for max distance with whatever gun and bullet you choose, and that you've chosen a fairly standard shooting apparatus. According to the National Rifle Association, if you're going for distance, the optimal angle of elevation is around 30 degrees from horizontal.

The NRA says that for a 9 mm handgun, the most popular handgun according to Guns.com, a bullet will travel up to 2,130 yards, or about 1.2 miles. For a Colt .45, the next most popular handgun, you're looking at about 1,850 yards, which is just about 1 mile.

Of course, handguns aren't long-distance firearms. Rifles are built to be more accurate from greater distances. The notorious AR-15 rifle is the most popular, according to the NRA, and its maximum range is around 3,840 yards, or 2.2 miles. Bear in mind, those of you with dreams of long-distance hunting, that maximum range is far from effective range, so the odds of hitting a target at that distance are slim.

If you're wondering what the maximum distance is that a gun has ever been used effectively, BBC says it's 3,870 yards, just over 2.2 miles. A Canadian special forces sniper made the shot in Iraq in 2017, killing an Islamic State militant.

Read More: How Far Can A Bullet Travel?

So, if you fire a gun at 30 degrees, it could travel 2 miles which would take 3 seconds for the maximum distance.

For maximum time in the air you can shoot it straight up.

For the next question, imagine the trajectory shown as an arc over 2 miles.

Can any physics majors confirm this?

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 4.28.50 AM.jpeg

Been watching for 10 minutes now.

Does she ever run out of bullets???

That rear end checks all my boxes and is dialed in real nice.

It's the ideal cut for rear ends.

Before long she'll have me shooting blanks.
Just don't try explaining this to @Greg

Back
Top Bottom