The U.S. Army wants a new gun.

Meaning . As unfortunate as it was, giffords was shot in the head with a 9mm and survived. Had it been 45acp the outcome would have been fatal. 9mm is crap.[/

9mm is crap based on? So those Iraqis with 9mm holes in their heads were faking then? You might want to watch the video posted above.

Five-Seven, because newish Euro-calibers are soooo much more sophisticated than unwashed American ones.[pot]

No really: concealed hammer, lightweight, high round count, decent ballistics and handling, made by FN which is already cranking out a lot of hardware for NATO.

Last edited:
Meaning . As unfortunate as it was, giffords was shot in the head with a 9mm and survived. Had it been 45acp the outcome would have been fatal. 9mm is crap.
Thank you. We all feel dumber for having read that. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Nope, no sarcasm. Reliable, high capacity, accurate. What else could you be hoping for?

Sure, you can get the same from Glock or Sig but the 92 is a pretty solid sidearm.

Other than the fact that its a ****ing 9mm

There is no " perfect" gun.
If there is a way to break it, a soldier will find it.
If they go to Glock or anything else you will, I promise you find a " I carried one and it sucked.", post 10 minutes after they issue it.

Why would they go back to a single stack 1911 when they now use 15+1? I'm not a big fan of 9mm but I certainly am not offering to be a test dummy for it's killyness, I'll stay away from .40S&W because I don't feel like getting flamed. What about a P226 in .357 Sig?

Why would they go back to a single stack 1911 when they now use 15+1? I'm not a big fan of 9mm but I certainly am not offering to be a test dummy for it's killyness, I'll stay away from .40S&W because I don't feel like getting flamed. What about a P226 in .357 Sig?

.357 SIG is one of the few choices that makes sense. It's fast, can penetrate body armor and is powerful. But this is the US .gov, and this contract is a hot mess.

The M1911 is literally laughable to propose for general use to troops. Sure, it's a classic pistol, but it has zero place in the hands of the average US soldier.

People couldn't take apart the ****ing M9 pistol after being trained how to do so. Anyone that knows how to take an M9 apart, let that sink in. Multiply the difficulty in maintaining a 1911 by about a thousand.

Add to the fact that hi cap is an absolute must, the M1911 has seen it's day.

Hopefully Sig or Glock gets it.

People in the .mil arent gun nuts. People in the .mil usually arent gun people at all, same with cops. People in the .mil shoot only a few times per year for most MOS's. Why give them something like the M1911? The training isnt there to support it, the hi cap isnt there to make up for accuracy issues and the thing is not exactly easy to maintain.

I couldn't shoot for shit when I was in the .mil. I still can't really. but I scored high with my M9 and I got among the higher qual scores in my unit. I need every round in that mag as possible, and so does every other person that was with me. I would of been ****ed with 9 rounds in combat. never mind the people who barley qualified.

Last edited:
.357 SIG is one of the few choices that makes sense. It's fast, can penetrate body armor and is powerful. But this is the US .gov, and this contract is a hot mess.

The M1911 is literally laughable to propose for general use to troops. Sure, it's a classic pistol, but it has zero place in the hands of the average US soldier.

People couldn't take apart the ****ing M9 pistol after being trained how to do so. Anyone that knows how to take an M9 apart, let that sink in. Multiply the difficulty in maintaining a 1911 by about a thousand.

Add to the fact that hi cap is an absolute must, the M1911 has seen it's day.

Hopefully Sig or Glock gets it.

People in the .mil arent gun nuts. People in the .mil usually arent gun people at all, same with cops. People in the .mil shoot only a few times per year for most MOS's. Why give them something like the M1911? The training isnt there to support it, the hi cap isnt there to make up for accuracy issues and the thing is not exactly easy to maintain.

I couldn't shoot for shit when I was in the .mil. I still can't really. but I scored high with my M9 and I got among the higher qual scores in my unit. I need every round in that mag as possible, and so does every other person that was with me. I would of been ****ed with 9 rounds in combat. never mind the people who barley qualified.

.357 Sig would be an interesting choice, but probably too expensive for mil use unless the government gets a big discount. As drgrant suggests, this will all probably end with a whole lot of nothing but wasted time and taxpayer money. Even if they do pick a new firearm, bet it's still a 9mm. 9, 40, 45....they all basically have the same ballistics. If you want stopping power, use your rifle. The handgun is an emergency tool by design.

1911s are one of the best looking guns ever made imo. that being said, their weight to capacity ratio is bad and the .45 acp in general makes for a grip size that is too fat for a one size fits all troop gun if the capacity is satisfactory, imo.

Glock 17/21/22 if they get rid of the safety crap

if not, FNX45 looks like a good option, .45 to appease the inter web retards, 9mm capacity to appease the spray n prayers, safety to appease the safety sallies, single/double action, decocker, ambidextrous, FNX45T has a threaded barrel, etc. FN is making some good stuff lately and would be a good and likely option for .mil, especially since they are making the standard rifles now

.357 Sig would be an interesting choice, but probably too expensive for mil use unless the government gets a big discount. As drgrant suggests, this will all probably end with a whole lot of nothing but wasted time and taxpayer money. Even if they do pick a new firearm, bet it's still a 9mm. 9, 40, 45....they all basically have the same ballistics. If you want stopping power, use your rifle. The handgun is an emergency tool by design.

Once you start producing in the kind of bulk that the military would need - the price will adjust to reflect that. How much more raw materials does it take to produce a .357 round than it does say a 9mm round? More or less than a .45acp round?

If .357 is a lot more than 9mm now - then that's likely purely due to the fact that there's so much more capacity in the industry to produce 9mm and a LOT more demand for it. You want to see the price of .357 go down? What what happens if .mil adopts it.

Once you start producing in the kind of bulk that the military would need - the price will adjust to reflect that. How much more raw materials does it take to produce a .357 round than it does say a 9mm round? More or less than a .45acp round?

If .357 is a lot more than 9mm now - then that's likely purely due to the fact that there's so much more capacity in the industry to produce 9mm and a LOT more demand for it. You want to see the price of .357 go down? What what happens if .mil adopts it.

I agree that could bring price down a little...if consumer market adopts it. There is plenty of capacity to produce 357 Sig, there just isn't demand for it. But if mil adopts it it, every wannabe soldier may start to adopt it just because the military uses it. Obviously that is a big marketing point and the gun makers know it. Both the ammo and the actual firearm will become better sellers.

But I still stick with my bet that they stay with 9mm. It's cost effective, NATO spec, allows more capacity, and the round itself has come a long way in terms of quality and ballistics over the years.

Back
Top Bottom