The Second Amendment does NOT give you the right to bear arms.

Nope. Think of it this way: If you’re correct as an atheist and there is no God, there is no afterlife. When we die, our brain activity stops, our consciousness dissipates with the lack of brain activity, our body rots and that’s it.

If I’m correct and there is a Christian God, an afterlife and a heaven and hell, then sinners and non-believers will leave this plane at death and end up in Hell. Your belief is irrelevent as either nothing happens after death or something does, and if something does ( my belief), your disbelief ensures which side you end up on.

Except you believe in the wrong god and go to hell while people that believe in the correct god or no god at all go to paradise.

So if I’m right, my beliefs are irrelevant but yours have negative consequences.

So your logic is only a little (a lot) flawed.

People take the word 'god' too personally, hold the ideas too strongly IMO. I use the word as a variable, a placeholder in conversation. God is what it is to me, and is also what it is to you. That's all I'm talking about when I say God. The origin of my existence, my creator, who or whatever that is. To me the idea that God is necessarily one exact thing, we know exactly who He is and what He does, reeks of human ego and arrogance.

Your rights are given by your creator. At the origin of life, the first cells dividing. By virtue of you existing you have these rights, you were made by some etherial invisible hand, or by a big explosion, or by a spaghetti monster, or in a simulation in a lab, or whatever. The cosmic action that caused you to exist 'god' is what gave you these rights.

Weather or not that God wants you to give 10% of your money to the church or not have sex before marriage (unless it's boys) or wants you to wage holy war on the non-believers is another argument entirely.

So are we just talking about the Christian god here or would this apply to Muslims as well?

And what about atheists, are they just SOL since they have no god to grant them this right?
To answer this.. it would default to becoming a Natural Right, or a right you have by means of no more virtue than that of being Human. Note that I said Human rather than American. Which IMHO is what all the rights in the BoR really are.. Natural Human Rights agreed upon by our countries founders and enshrined in paper that the Government is forbade from infringing upon. And in regards to the 2A it is the natural human right to Self Defense, which I think most of us here would agree is absolutely a thing.

People take the word 'god' too personally, hold the ideas too strongly IMO. I use the word as a variable, a placeholder in conversation. God is what it is to me, and is also what it is to you. That's all I'm talking about when I say God. The origin of my existence, my creator, who or whatever that is. To me the idea that God is necessarily one exact thing, we know exactly who He is and what He does, reeks of human ego and arrogance.

No.

In precisely the same way as mathematics can or can not describe the mechanism of the world, there are certain properties which any entity worthy of worship (latria) must have.

The first principles here are adequately described by a combination of Aquinas's viae quinquae, and Anselm's ontological argument, depending on where truth is rooted (if it's rooted - starts - in the world, then Aquinas, if truth begins in a mind, then Anselm (following the neoplatonists). Aquinas happens to be correct.).

One of the special sauces of actual Christianity is the nature of God as a Unity of Three Divine Persons, and the hypostatic union of the man-God, sacrificed.

In exactly the same way as knowing a bunch of math and physics doesn't let you know everything about the universe, while still knowing (defined as having 'justified true belief') something, knowing certain things about God doesn't tell you everything, nor should it, finite man. It is thus necessary that these natural and necessary properties of God be communicated, which includes the operation of the world (nature) as well as (self-)Revelation

There is no other possible correct answer that corresponds to the way people actually behave (that is, you must act in accord with your beliefs, and nobody believes this is a simulation, or that everything is meaningless, because nobody acts that way). There are, however, myriad answers which are more or less wrong ("missing the mark" - ἁμαρτία - harmartia - in the greek. Not to say that one, after years of study, can't come up with something that both satisfies Aquinas' well-trod properties and might step beyond it in a humble way. But some jackass who knows nothing but what he feels is right definitely ain't gonna do it.)

The other bit, there is no redemption or underlying meaning to the world in the Eastern (at best, you can get nothing, nibbana or freedom from the wheel), or atheism, and any anyone takes is because they are acting against their first principles - being irrational - and presumably they don't know the profound influence of authentically Christian culture that subsists behind the lame protestant culture you might be familiar with.

Atheist here.

I'm going to Hell? Wouldn't I have to have faith to believe in a Hell?
Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis - If you reject God throughout your life, God honors your decision to stay distant from him in the afterlife.
Paraphrasing John Lennox (who builds on Lewis) - To bring someone who does not honor God in life into heaven, God would have to reverse their decision to stay distant from Him. Instead God will honor your decision (allow you free will) to remain distant from Him into the afterlife.

No.

In precisely the same way as mathematics can or can not describe the mechanism of the world, there are certain properties which any entity worthy of worship (latria) must have.

The first principles here are adequately described by a combination of Aquinas's viae quinquae, and Anselm's ontological argument, depending on where truth is rooted (if it's rooted - starts - in the world, then Aquinas, if truth begins in a mind, then Anselm (following the neoplatonists). Aquinas happens to be correct.).

One of the special sauces of actual Christianity is the nature of God as a Unity of Three Divine Persons, and the hypostatic union of the man-God, sacrificed.

In exactly the same way as knowing a bunch of math and physics doesn't let you know everything about the universe, while still knowing (defined as having 'justified true belief') something, knowing certain things about God doesn't tell you everything, nor should it, finite man. It is thus necessary that these natural and necessary properties of God be communicated, which includes the operation of the world (nature) as well as (self-)Revelation

There is no other possible correct answer that corresponds to the way people actually behave (that is, you must act in accord with your beliefs, and nobody believes this is a simulation, or that everything is meaningless, because nobody acts that way). There are, however, myriad answers which are more or less wrong ("missing the mark" - ἁμαρτία - harmartia - in the greek. Not to say that one, after years of study, can't come up with something that both satisfies Aquinas' well-trod properties and might step beyond it in a humble way. But some jackass who knows nothing but what he feels is right definitely ain't gonna do it.)

The other bit, there is no redemption or underlying meaning to the world in the Eastern (at best, you can get nothing, nibbana or freedom from the wheel), or atheism, and any anyone takes is because they are acting against their first principles - being irrational - and presumably they don't know the profound influence of authentically Christian culture that subsists behind the lame protestant culture you might be familiar with.

this reads like it was written by a schizo

Dont assume His Gender

Your rights are given by your creator. At the origin of life, the first cells dividing. By virtue of you existing you have these rights, you were made by some etherial invisible hand, or by a big explosion, or by a spaghetti monster, or in a simulation in a lab, or whatever. The cosmic action that caused you to exist 'god' is what gave you these rights.

Weather or not that God wants you to give 10% of your money to the church or notW have sex before marriage (unless it's boys) or wants you to wage holy war on the non-believers is another argument entirely.

Back
Top Bottom