The M&P .45 thread

I can't be the only one frothing at the mouth for this gun. I just noticed they released the latest list:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster_feb2007.pdf
The M&P .45 is not on there! [crying]
They say two to three weeks before it hits distributors in the free world. I would expect it to make it on the list in April or May (how often do they update the list?). It is very unfortunate they did not get it into this version...

What is the word on M&P holsters? Will the .45 fit the same kydex as the 9/40? I doubt it, the slide has got to be heavier, but I can dream right? What about mag carriers, does it fit a Sig mag carrier?

Some photos to whet your appetite...
mp45-2.jpg

mp45-1.jpg

I have cash in hand to lay down for dibs on this gun.

I thought the copyright logo was all he required I will check.
Note that I am the copyright holder of all of these photos, as I am the one who took them. If you would like to use any of these photos for commercial purposes, please contact me to request permission to do so. If you simply want a cool wallpaper image for your computer desktop, or want to reference one of these pistols in a non-commercial thread, there's no need to ask for my permission.
http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/firearms.html
The copyright info is still present so I am good to go.

My cash in hand just went up in smoke. Wife had a minor accident with the car. Such is life.

Last edited:
Here's what his site states:

Note that I am the copyright holder of all of these photos, as I am the one who took them. If you would like to use any of these photos for commercial purposes, please contact me to request permission to do so. If you simply want a cool wallpaper image for your computer desktop, or want to reference one of these pistols in a non-commercial thread, there's no need to ask for my permission.

It took awhile to get the 9 and 40 to come available after it made the list, the 10 lb. trigger is really holding back the amount out there now. I dont think you will see the 45 until late spring or early summer or later , I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, nothing big. Slid and hit the curb and some widget connected to the wheel bent or was damaged.

I just contacted S&W with a question on the availability of the M&P .45 Compact model. They expect it out in either May or June. I can hardly wait.

Wait for a conversion barrrel. Get the .45

I think it will take more than dropping a new barrel into a M&P45 to convert one to 40S&W or 9mm. The slides would be totally different at the very least.

I think it will take more than dropping a new barrel into a M&P45 to convert one to 40S&W or 9mm. The slides would be totally different at the very least.

I think he may have been saying wait for a conversion barrel for the .40 I have (to 9mm) and get the .45 as soon as it comes out. [wink] [wink]

I just contacted S&W with a question on the availability of the M&P .45 Compact model. They expect it out in either May or June. I can hardly wait.

I would not hold my breath. They have been promising 357SIG since last August which was the original release date. It is now scheduled for September.

Unfortunately or fortunately, they will clean up their LE back orders for the M&P 40, 9MM and any LE or military orders for the 45 before they do a general release of the 45. Then another year before the MA model becomes available.

The 45 is a different design from the 40 and 9MM. I will wait until it has been out a year or so before I consider buying one. I want the bugs worked out of it so I don't have to send it back.

I believe they are currently on the fourth engineering change on the 9MM & 40. Many have been returned for the upgrades (which were minor) but as time goes on and the demand for the LE guns grows, the repairs will be slower and slower. This is from 30 years of dealing with the S&W product as a very loyal customer.

Regards,

I would not hold my breath. They have been promising 357SIG since last August which was the original release date. It is now scheduled for September.

Unfortunately or fortunately, they will clean up their LE back orders for the M&P 40, 9MM and any LE or military orders for the 45 before they do a general release of the 45. Then another year before the MA model becomes available.

The 45 is a different design from the 40 and 9MM. I will wait until it has been out a year or so before I consider buying one. I want the bugs worked out of it so I don't have to send it back.

I believe they are currently on the fourth engineering change on the 9MM & 40. Many have been returned for the upgrades (which were minor) but as time goes on and the demand for the LE guns grows, the repairs will be slower and slower. This is from 30 years of dealing with the S&W product as a very loyal customer.

Regards,

+1 - I spoke to a fairly large dealer out here who moves a lot of Smith and Wesson, (including mine). Even he is getting M&P's available now in very, very limited numbers. He spoke to someone recently at S&W about future shipments of 40's 9's - the release of the .357 and .45

He was guarded at what he told me, but essentially said: "Mark, it's going to be quite some time before you'll see a .45 and based on recent issues, (he's sent a few back), I'd wait until several months after release to pick yours up - why don't you look at that 642".... Which I did.... [wink]

I think one must look to where Smith and Wesson's bread is buttered. Certainly they're a Massachusetts company, but their obligations lie globally. They likely have huge orders to fill, (on top of huge orders to fill). I don't know for a fact, but am reasonably certain they are, have and will be marketing this to entire LEO and Military forces. A Massachusetts compliant .357 Sig and namely the .45 is likely last on their "to do" list and I don't blame them.

We were referrring to the conversion barrel for 40S&W to 9MM. You can't make a conversion barrel from .45 to 9MM for any gun as far as I know. Extractor and ejector are too far apart.

Last edited:
But all I want is a 357SIG barrel[sad]

I would go to S&W headquarters and [crying] maybe they'll give you one to get you out of the building... [smile]

I would guess it's the same story - barrels dedicated for weapon release - spares to follow...I LOVE my Glock22 in .357 Sig and almost bought a .40 for that very reason... I guess I'll keep tapping my toes for the .45, as I just sunk my dough into the 642CT....Anybody got $500-bucks I can borrow?...Will pay you back....promise... [wink]

I can't wait for this to become available in MA. I have been looking at .45's but I don't like 1911's at all. To each his own though. I was thinking about getting the .40 when I first got into firearms,(less then one year ago) but everytime I had money to spend, the M&P had not yet made the list, so I kept on buying other pistols. With the M&P .45 though, I can still get an M&P, with the caliber I am looking for.

I can't wait for this to become available in MA. I have been looking at .45's but I don't like 1911's at all. To each his own though. I was thinking about getting the .40 when I first got into firearms,(less then one year ago) but everytime I had money to spend, the M&P had not yet made the list, so I kept on buying other pistols. With the M&P .45 though, I can still get an M&P, with the caliber I am looking for.

Can't go wrong with a Sig P220.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the 45 m&p its going to be awhile. Its not on the list yet and once it makes the list its still got to go thru the A.G. whatever thing.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the 45 m&p its going to be awhile. Its not on the list yet and once it makes the list its still got to go thru the A.G. whatever thing.

I expect both to be simultaneous. Unless our new AG takes a different tack, nothing is submitted for review to the AG and no approval is given. It's the mfr's "word" that it meets the intent of the AG Regs, that is all. If the AG disagrees, she takes legal action (and a press conference) to express that disagreement.

All told, yes I'd expect it to take most of 2007 before we see M&P .45 for civilians available in MA.

Chris, I would like the thumb safety one because it just might get around that foolish A.G.'s 10lbs.trigger b.s. and brown color is different.

I would like the thumb safety one because it just might get around that foolish A.G.'s 10lbs.trigger b.s.
Get whichever one you prefer and then just get a trigger job done.

I'm not a big fan of tan guns (not much desert around here...), although I'm surely used to a guns with safeties [wink]

But I might get a black one...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom