• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Liberty Training Rifle

Just starting a LTR build...

Is the 10/22 carbine model with synthetic stock different than the Hogue? Does it come with studs?
As far as the sights, do I want the TSR100 or TSR200?
As far as the sling, cotton or nylon?

I skipped a few posts in the middle, sorry if this was previously answered,
Thanks.

I recommend the Appleseed store's sling, mine have held up through an extreme amount of manipulation and abuse in all conditions.

The sights is mostly down to preference - if you want an AR simulator, the 100's can be adjusted with the same sight tool as ARs, and have a rear flip that will get you 8 MOA of elevation - roughly correct for a transition from 25 to 100 yards.

The synthetic stock that Ruger ships with is not a Hogue, it's just a cheap hollow piece of plastic.

I went with the wood for my 10/22, and installed a leather sling. I think leather just works better, feels better all around, but that's personal preference. Same with the choice for wood.

I have the TSR200, didn't go with the flip up, and I prefer being able to dial in for what I need without having the flip up, if you add a wheel to the windage screw you only need a tool for the front sight. I will say though, that those tech sights are very nice.

As for the rest of the build? I think the new extractor and the auto-bolt release are both musts, but the rest is firmly within the optional camp for me.

I found that the adjustable TSR200 sights were a little too tall, I prefer the TSR100 even if you have to use the front sight to adjust elevation. I get a better cheek weld on the stock if the sight is lower.

As for the rest of the build? I think the new extractor and the auto-bolt release are both musts, but the rest is firmly within the optional camp for me.

For under $5, the mag release is a trivial swap, and you do it while you're doing the auto-bolt release anyway. It's not a must have, but if you're going to detail strip and install parts anyway, it's well worth the extra bucks.

Does anybody have a rifle with the peep sights I could try out some time? I'd like to see how it works for my eyes before plunking down $50-60 on sights. I'd rather know that I need the scope and just do that, if that is the case. If you are from Sterling to Spencer down to Charlton and back across to Sutton, I'd be interested in checking this out. Thanks.

If you want to come out to Harvard for the breakfast Sunday, I'll be helping out there and can bring one of my LTRs for you to try out afterwards. I'll probably hit the range around 11:-30-noon.

I just mounted the TSR-200 sights onto my 10/22. I also bought the Rapidex wheel for the rear sight. Was it supposed to come with a set pin or roll pin?

Also, my punches aren't small enough to push the roll pin out of the stock adjustment knob. What are the rest of you using to push that pin out? Will a paper clip work? Will I be able to re-use that pin with the new knob?

I just mounted the TSR-200 sights onto my 10/22. I also bought the Rapidex wheel for the rear sight. Was it supposed to come with a set pin or roll pin?

Also, my punches aren't small enough to push the roll pin out of the stock adjustment knob. What are the rest of you using to push that pin out? Will a paper clip work? Will I be able to re-use that pin with the new knob?

I got a roll pin starter punch, two actually, and neither I nor the armorer at Four Seasons was able to get the pin out. It is a roll pin and you will probably need a new one to replace it if you get it out.

The rapidex knob was a PITA. I broke my small roll pin punch (the second and last one I will buy from Brownells) putting it in, and I forgot to put the little washer spacer in. I got it to the point where it turns ok but man what a pain. I built a second LTR to get someone to go with me to my next Appleseed, and I skipped the rapidex knob on that build.

I don't think it's supposed to come with a pin - on my first one, I reused the pin that was on the sight. I used a 1/16" flat pin punch to get it out. The second one... well, I can't get that darned thing out for love or money. I'll probably drill it out once I purchase a replacement pin.

And no, a paper clip won't work.

I wonder if these folks would be OK with an LTR "build party" at their place:

http://www.libertyclubhouse.org/

I would definitely like to participate in something like this. Imagine 10-15 guys all tuning triggers, installing sights and slings, and having a good time doing it in a nice indoor location?

I don't think it's supposed to come with a pin - on my first one, I reused the pin that was on the sight. I used a 1/16" flat pin punch to get it out. The second one... well, I can't get that darned thing out for love or money. I'll probably drill it out once I purchase a replacement pin.

I did mine with a 1/16" flat pin punch, but broke the punch off during the process, which was a pita. The roll pin is easily reused if you are careful with it, you'll find though in general the pin isn't long enough for the wheel, so if you set the pin in too far (close to centered) you'll lose needed leverage for turning the wheel. I kept the pin off center, and it's easy to turn and I left off the washer the tech sights came with.

The rapidex wheel does not come with a pin. I think it could use it though, because it would need a longer roll pin than in the sight's original wheel.

Hey Coyote - did you have a chance to get on one the LTRs? If not, you could borrow mine sometime if I'm not out using it.

I got a bag of roll pins. Happy to give you a few.

Finally put one of these together for my wife's friend who is attending the shoot in April with her. I love it. The sights, the new bolt release and mag release are great.

Anyone in the Chelmsford area want to help me get the front sight off my 10/22? I don't have a workbench or vice. I ragequit after trying it 3-4 times with a rubber mallet and punch. I have the tech sights all ready to go on, but I just cant seem to get the original front sight off.

Mine took a lot more pounding than I expected it to. I ended up using a brass punch and a brass mallet.

My front sights have come off relatively easily, but they both required a fair bit of pounding. The rear sight on one came off easily, it took a hell of a lot of effort to get the one off on the second. I ended up having to cut the damn thing out. Note that you don't have to remove the rear if you don't want to.

Anyone in the Chelmsford area want to help me get the front sight off my 10/22? I don't have a workbench or vice. I ragequit after trying it 3-4 times with a rubber mallet and punch. I have the tech sights all ready to go on, but I just cant seem to get the original front sight off.
If you want to come down to Marlborough I'd be happy to help.

Anyone going out with one with the Tech sights this weekend South of Worcester? I'd like to check out those sights. I need to get either those, or a 4x scope, or a red-dot or inexpensive holographic sight.
I'll probably have the 10/22 out on Sunday in Harvard.

I gave up on mine - I hit it as hard as I was willing to and it wouldn't budge. Wound up taking it to State Line in Mason, NH and they removed it for me. Knowing what I know now, I would have just upped the force until it moved, but I didn't want to ruin my brand-new 10/22.

I'll probably have the 10/22 out on Sunday in Harvard.

Same here and I want you to check out my 10/22 if you could. Its shooting straight as it should but I am having trouble chambering the first round properly every so often.

Same here and I want you to check out my 10/22 if you could. Its shooting straight as it should but I am having trouble chambering the first round properly every so often.

When did you clean it last, Max?

Oh, and what ammo are you using? I've found that my three HATE the Remington Golden Garbage ever since they redesigned the bullet 3-4 years ago. Choke city.

I'm going to give it another good attempt this week and if I still get nothing I will be taking you up on that offer!

You have to whack it harder than you think you should.... I laid mine on a towel, on a 2x4, on my concrete basement floor..... Was denting the 2x so i ditched it and just used the towel and floor, pin punch and hammer.... The front sight comes out one way... It's dovetailed in.... I don't remember offhand but I believe it comes out from left to right as you sight down the barrel.... Look into that... And whack the shit out of it.....

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Synergy+Godmode.

Last edited:
I put the stock on the edge of a work bench and laid the barrel over my lap and just went to town with a punch and hammer. If it helped or not, I put some oil in the dovetail. You have to hit it HARD. I scratched the front sight a bit but figure I'll never use it again.

I was going to make a new post but since others are asking questions...
The only problem I am having with my LTR is after installing the Varq trigger kit, I feel like I have a really weak trigger reset. There is a clean and light trigger break but when I shoot a round and then release the trigger to do a second shot, it barely resets. Sometime I have to damn near push the trigger forward manually to get it to reset or wait for it. Is the only thing affecting the reset that spring behind the trigger? Wanted to ask before putting the stock spring back in.

Has everyone's experience with the TSR200's been prior to them shipping them with the target post? I'm wondering if the extra height you get with that post addresses the issues people seem to have had in the past. Is the flexibility you get with the height adjustment really that negligible?

To add an extra element of challenge, I built my second LTR from a Marlin 925R bolt-action .22. All it needed was a sling, a set of swivels, some extra magazines, and a set of Tech MXT200 sights.

With the right ammo, this gun is an awsome shooter. With practice, it is possible to run a bolt-gun fast enough to shoot a rifleman's score, and still have time left over.

This isn't something I'd recommend for beginners, but for those that want a challenge, old school bolt-action will add another dimention of difficulty.

Last edited:
It's winter, it's cold... there's no Appleseed until Spring... what to do, what to do, what to do...

Hey, I know! Why not start that LTR build you were thinking of? (if you can find anything to feed it, that is!)

Seriously - bumping this to the top just to remind folks that if they do want an LTR-style rifle, now's the time to start working on it.

Oh, yeah... and Marlin should have started shipping a 795 LTR already. If you don't want to modify a rifle but just buy one, that is.

The preceding is from the first post. Are any of these available at the Appleseed events? In particular, the sling and sling swivels.

Yes, at my shoots I have the mag release, studs, swivels, and slings for sale.

Well, at the Vermont shoots next year, there should be a dealer at the Appleseed Shoots with all those items - me. Don't know if I'll try and hit other states as well or not. And no, I won't drill your 10/22 stock for studs - I can't seem to ever do it perfectly straight so I'm not going to chance lousing up someone's stock (other than my own, that is). I'll let you use my drill, though. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom