• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The $399 "safe" thread

So I swung by BJs today with my tape measure and took a reading of the width on the Wasatch 24. It actually comes in at 23-1/2". The space I want to put it is 23-5/8" from the concrete footing to the lolly column.

I'm not sure it worth the risk.

I couldn't get a real measurement of the Stack-On, they only had one and it was boxed.

Here's a quick sketch

IMG_20200427_151544.jpg

that's not a lot of clearance... are the lally and the wall perfectly plumb? And is that lally clean? Almost all the ones I've seen have some cement caked on them which would reduce your width.

Can you just move the lolly column over if need be? The 1/2 inch you might need wouldn't change anything, just a margin of error.

That is also an odd place for a lolly column...

And although its common practice, nobody said a safes gotta be in the basement. I know fire danger increases upstairs but it is a drier place to store guns too.

that's not a lot of clearance... are the lally and the wall perfectly plumb? And is that lally clean? Almost all the ones I've seen have some cement caked on them which would reduce your width.
Can you just move the lolly column over if need be? The 1/2 inch you might need wouldn't change anything, just a margin of error.

And although its common practice, nobody said a safes gotta be in the basement. I know fire danger increases upstairs but it is a drier place to store guns too.
IMG_20200427_173709.jpg
Cemented in

I'm trying to work within the rules the wife gave me, but finding a higher capacity safe right at 23" wide is tough.

That said, I could put blocks down to get above the footing, giving me more space, but shit, I'm not lifting a 400 pound safe....

The general rule is "buy the biggest thing that you can afford vs what you can fit through the door wherever it is going".

-Mike

The real reason its a more common thing is because after a point safes are heavy and can f*** up your floor. With garage or basement option, there usually isn't a weight
limit problem.

-Mike

I failed that rule 😞

Don't feel too bad, I did too, that's why I posted it. if I could do it over again I would have found a safe vendor (like eastern security or some other outfit) and done what I suggested. Unfortunately life got in the way at the time. I still have safe storage but its not as optimal as having a big lumbering safe for stuff to live in.

-Mike

I said “I won’t have that much stuff” a couple years in I got a Liberty 30 gun 800 lb safe.

Do it right the first time

It's not a matter of
I said “I won’t have that much stuff” a couple years in I got a Liberty 30 gun 800 lb safe.

Do it right the first time
It's not really the first time though. I'm trying to keep my head off a block, find a decent safe that will fit the spot I want because the spot doesn't advertise there's a safe there to other eyes & it's a good hardened spot.

That's the great thing about the 4 drawer. It doesn't scream gun safe, and is way more secure that any safe I have mentioned so far. The downside of it: it doesn't fit rifles unless they are broken down. That's what the new safe is for.

They are made out of 3/16" plate steel, the doors are 1/2", not gauge size sheet metal, the locks they use are good quality, the fire ratings are better than most, etc.
I doubt the doors are 1/2" steel, though the hardplate area may be. Your biggest concern should be the side, back, top and bottom doors.

3/16 is about 7gauge, and is on the high end of "gun safes", though Eastern Security has some house brand ones that are 1/4". Figure the effort to breech the container via brute force is probably proportional to something like the square of the thickness.

Ft Knox has 3/16 safes in their product offerings, but not all FtKnox safes are that thick. Numerous other brands also top out at 3/16".

As to locks - look for S&G as the gold standard (well, it's actually the Kaba-Mas x-## series but the current ones are govt restricted and even if you had a source run over $1K for the lock alone). LaGard is another highly respected brand.

HomeDepot has a sale today for the Stack On 18 gun option. $399

18-Gun Fire Rated Safe with Electronic Lock and Door Storage, Black

The listing includes a bunch of specifications but omits the gauge of steel. When this is done, there is usually a reason.

Last edited:
The listing includes a bunch of specifications but omits the gauge of steel. When this is done, there is usually a reason.
Right, but real protection starts at RSC-2 which is for all intents and purposes TL-10. Short of that, you're keeping out curious little hands. I don't care if it's 14ga steel vs 10ga steel - either will open up right quick with a grinder.

Those smaller ones i buy, two of us can get up the stairs on a dolly. Part of my reason for going small, mine are on a 2nd floor. I think I said 160 lbs, might be 200 I don't know, but are manageable.. Some day when I move they will remain useful and I don't need to hire anybody to move them. May end up supplementary in a garage full of ammo, or bedroom closet, or full of guns in some arrangement, lots of options..

Honestly gauge of steel is pretty inconsequential - any of these commercial safes, ie 1/4 inch or less as mentioned, do no survive long with basic tools involved. But any of them stop a smash and grab job.

If I had to break into mine I'd cut the hinges and inside static bolts off with a wiz wheel, no fuss, just noise and a little dust & smoke - hardly an issue if you live a bit away from other houses with no alarm system.

I think you’re going to have to get something that’s going to leave more room than you originally wanted.

it looks like snap safe has something 22” wide

or this

Get whatever size safe you can fit in the space. Just remember to cut the capacity in half. If it's a 12 gun safe, figure that you'll be able to fit 6 or so in there comfortably. Any more than that and you're pushing your luck. Like I said, my Centurion has 4 long guns in it, and they're all close to touching.

I think you’re going to have to get something that’s going to leave more room than you originally wanted.

it looks like snap safe has something 22” wide

or this
Yeah. The good news is it is not an emergency, and I have the luxury of time. I might roll the dice on the Wasatch anyway....

Get whatever size safe you can fit in the space. Just remember to cut the capacity in half. If it's a 12 gun safe, figure that you'll be able to fit 6 or so in there comfortably. Any more than that and you're pushing your luck. Like I said, my Centurion has 4 long guns in it, and they're all close to touching.
Yeah, I'm up in the air. How is yours configured?

Back
Top Bottom