The $399 "safe" thread

Anything from Liberty or other cheap safes can be opened up in a couple minutes with an angle grinder. They are made of sheet metal and drywall. Any of them are fine for keeping kids out or keeping honest people honest. If you are going to spend the coin for a TL rated safe, you are talking 10× the price, at least.

You are absolutely correct. I was simply pointing out that the weight vs size of the Agile unit indicated to me that the metal was extremely thin (16 gauge?) and it seemed expensive for what you were getting. You could probably get into that one by making a small opening with a hatchet and then using a manual or battery powered sheet metal shear.

@CoastieRon I have three sitting in a storage unit I don't need after I built my walk in safe. They are palleted and ready to go. I would be motivated to give you a sweet deal on any of them if you would want to make a trip to Philadelphia to save some money. I can snap some pics if you are interested.

Liberty safe-

Presidential 50

72.5”H x 42”W x 29”D

Weight-Approx1600 Pounds

Champion Safe

Triumph 25

60.5”H x 32”W x 27”D

Weight-Approx 700 Pounds

Browning Safe

AR 35

58”H x 36”W x 27”D

Weight-Approx 700 Pounds

@CoastieRon I have three sitting in a storage unit I don't need after I built my walk in safe. They are palleted and ready to go. I would be motivated to give you a sweet deal on any of them if you would want to make a trip to Philadelphia to save some money. I can snap some pics if you are interested.

Liberty safe-

Presidential 50

72.5”H x 42”W x 29”D

Weight-Approx1600 Pounds

Champion Safe

Triumph 25

60.5”H x 32”W x 27”D

Weight-Approx 700 Pounds

Browning Safe

AR 35

58”H x 36”W x 27”D

Weight-Approx 700 Pounds
That sir, is an amazing offer. I will keep that in mind..

BJ's in Portsmouth had a few of these stack on's left, I think they're moving them out and bringing in these Wasatch safes instead

BJ's in Portsmouth had a few of these stack on's left, I think they're moving them out and bringing in these Wasatch safes instead

I've seen these at the Nashua BJs. I'm stopping by to take a look tomorrow. I have a spot in mind as long as it will fit. I've seen that stack on for much less during sales there.

I talked to Dependable Lock and they said they are still selling and delivering safes while closed

Last edited:
I've outgrown my GSA 4 drawer safe, and need something exclusively for rifles. I have (right now) 6 rifles, and all of them have some sort of optic on them. Now I know everyone is going to say "buy bigger"!!!! But truthfully, it's an optics issue with the wife. If I buy a 16 gun safe and she sees the box she's gonna be like OMFG YOURE NOT GETTING 16 GUNS..... That happened once upon a time when she was more liberal than she is now.

Little does she know.

Anyway, it will be for the rifles and their magazines only, as I have a drawer dedicated to ammo (and a second and maybe third drawer if I get a dedicated rifle safe) as well as a drawer dedicated to pistols.

I'm looking at the liberty centurion 12 right now, because space is a factor. Any other suggestions are welcome. I am locksmith savy (but not a locksmith lol)....

And if you are upsizing and are selling, let's talk
Jill and I use two safes. One is a VLine Closet Vault quick access safe that holds our loaded home-defense guns (Mini 14 and folding stock extended mag tube 12 gauge 870). The other safe, a 15 gun BassPro Redhead, holds the rest of our rifles and shotguns. Both serve us well and I highly recommend them.

Based on my experience I would buy the biggest safe you can afford/fit in the location. My safe filled up faster than I figured on! Next look at options, I went with a double liner, and thicker steel. The stainless steel liner was too much for my budget. I stayed away from the electronic lock. Put in lights, which are standard on some safes, and I put in the dehumidifier rod. Also, I purchased a reusable dehumidifier from cabela’s in case power goes out. Good luck!

23 7/16. View attachment 351131
No. I’m not taking a picture of the inside but you’d be fine.
Eastern did another fine job.
Yes, and if "just fits", nobody will be able to attack if from the sides (weakest area), not that I worry about thieves that come equipped with all sorts of power equipment.

I've got one of these I'd make you a deal on. Holds 6 rifles, plus I've got some bins and a pistol rack.
I have one of these and like it’s versatility. I’d rather have a couple smaller safes in case I have to move..I’ll save the big safe for my forever home

The spot I'm looking at wedging this f***er in has to fit in a 23-1/2" wide space and that's pushing it ..
Harbor Freight has a cheap ass one that will be under $300 with one of their many coupons

Yes, and if "just fits", nobody will be able to attack if from the sides (weakest area), not that I worry about thieves that come equipped with all sorts of power equipment.
Good point, Len. But Jill and I are more interested in preventing our guns and ammo from ending up in the hands of our two young daughters and their friends. Our safes also satisfy Massachusetts safe storage laws. Believe me, it would not be any issue at all in my home state (Alabama) or Jill's home state (Louisiana). Unfortunately, because we live in this liberal state, we have to take many extra precautions to cover ourselves legally.

I've got one of these I'd make you a deal on. Holds 6 rifles, plus I've got some bins and a pistol rack.
I sent a PM on the safe if OP isn't interested

Liberty and Cabela's branded Liberty like someone one said with a dehumidifier rod. Interior lighting and back lit digital keypad are also nice options. If you get something that weighs over 400 lbs, you've done you're job to comply in the PROM. Pros and cons about digital keypad.

Liberty and Cabela's branded Liberty like someone one said with a dehumidifier rod. Interior lighting and back lit digital keypad are also nice options. If you get something that weighs over 400 lbs, you've done you're job to comply in the PROM. Pros and cons about digital keypad.
I have an S&G programmable lock on my current container. Works the nuts. I think I am 3 years on the current battery - and will probably want to change that soonish. I'm in NH....

Just stop. Let’s not go back and forth on a whimpy 16 gun safe. If you do we’ll be back here having the same conversation next year about How you need a bigger safe. If you can afford it buy bigger now so you don’t keep going through this ugly cycle.

This in spades. I have a Stackon 16 gun safe with 11 long guns in it....you can't use the first two positions on either side and close the door, the thing is stuffed now. 24 should be a minimum

This in spades. I have a Stackon 16 gun safe with 11 long guns in it....you can't use the first two positions on either side and close the door, the thing is stuffed now. 24 should be a minimum
a 24 is about the biggest I can fit in that spot, so yeah. But as I said, it has to be 23.5" or less wide.

I've put this picture up before, here is my strategy. These are a 12 gun models from tractor supply that go on sale for about $350... obviously don't hold 12 rifles but can do 6 easily, 8 ARs with smaller optics packed well, plus shelves for pistols etc etc. Weigh about 160 lbs so I can move myself, then I bolt them down.

For me its a practical expandable strategy, plus its harder to break into multiple safes than one. For you, buy one small safe, later when the wife is in a good mood buy another, sneak them in the house, etc etc.

Example in pic is not packed fully, normally has 2 more ARs in it.

20200424_210510.jpg

20200424_212920.jpg

20200424_212934.jpg

So I think 23.5" wide should be good to go. I want to fill that spot as much as possible, but 23.5" wide is the absolute width I can put there. So far the smallest 24 gun "safe" I can get in there is the stack on at BJs.

The way it will be situated, side and rear cutting will be impossible, and there is zero leverage to pry open on the front.

The only way this works is if I get a safe that's anywhere from 22" - 23-1/2". It has to fill that space. The wife is in concurrence, as long as I don't encroach on her side of that area....

Also, that Wasatch safe goes on sale Tuesday for $399 ($200 off), but it's 24" wide. Maybe they'll let that stack on go for $200 off (there's only 1 left at BJs), unless I can find another safe that fills that hole....

Last edited:
Tractor supply, winchester and cannon safes are good value for money, go on sale all the time. Unless you want to get into several thousand for a safe, then I'd call up eastern security safes and get a fort knox.

Back
Top Bottom