• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The 1911 will not be down for breakfast: Iconic Weapon Retired from USMC After a Century in Service

I know you Yankees have probably not seen one of those in action, but I've seen them fly UNDER powerlines, bank 90 degrees to split trees, back to wings level and never stopped spraying.

So the Marines didn’t switch over to the M9 in the 80’s, or did they use both up until now?
The Marines did use the M9 as the standard pistol. The Precision Weapons Shop (formerly Rifle Team Equipment Repairmen) built 1911s using frames and slides manufactured in the 50s, Bomar drop in barrels, packmyre (sic) grips, new fire control components, beaver tails and rear sights that were manufactured in house. This was the MEUSOC 45 (Marine Expeditionary Unit Special Operations Capable). Later versions included an accessory rail produced in house. I was the SNCOIC of pistol production from 2000 until I left for recruiter’s school in 2001.

Movie idea: there is a terror attack that uses an emp to shutdown our naval ships, and Old Ironsides is the only commissioned vessel able to stage a defense.

In all seriousness? I believe that was part of the plot of a GI Joe cartoon episode in the 1980s.

ETA: Yeah, sorta. It's called a "pulse modulator." The plan is explained starting at 12:06.

Is the explosion the impact of the .45 bullet, or did someone drop their Sig P17 over there?
You asked, they provided:
Front makes me think of a P51 Mustang. Mmmm!

For all the history buffs and/or fanboys, 113 years ago today - on March 29th, 1911 - the U.S. Army formally adopted the M1911 pistol as its standard-issue sidearm.

I FAM fired a 1911 in boot camp and qualified as a Sharpshooter at the School of Infantry with one.

(Once I got to the Fleet Marine Force, we had Beretta M9s)

Currently, I have a WWII era 1911A1, and looking to get another.

The 1911 is a great pistol and would be very effective in the hands of a skilled military unit but shouldn't be handed to a 19 year old recruit. They need something as close to idiot proof as possible.

Back
Top Bottom