TELL ME ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE subcompact AND WHY.

Not to mention you can't even compare the two because the Sphinx probably weighs 20% more. (I ibet its also dimensionally larger, too) They're not even in the same class of handgun.

-Mike

Sorry Mike, You just don't understand either. [wink]

Another vote for the LC9s.

Large enough to handle and shoot comfortably. Small enough to conceal and carry effortlessly in anything from shorts to suits while still using a relatively effective round.

photoblogpicturesgroup1lecar.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist

There's a great parody of this ad, its the same thing except it says in bold print above it... "Running from the cops in La Conner, WA, just got a whole hell of a lot easier. "

10f9e39a5512f9cd1cb95c6491acb25f.jpg

It seems anything you would hang on a rail would just defeat the purpose of a subcompact.

Kahr cw380 for me

i think he is talking about the rail on the frame that the slide rides on...i think it's a full length rail...not the accessory rail in front of the trigger guard...not sure why that is a big selling point

my vote is my Walther PPS M2....little on the heavy side so you know it's there and makes the recoil a little less than say a g43 (imo), 6+1 in the flush mag (can add a magguts kit for 7+1 in the flush mag), can buy the 7 round and 8 round mags, nice trigger, easy to rack (for le wife unlike the pm9), small but not too small, nicely shaped grip, striker fired, peep window (if i feel like a perv), cocked indicator, good mag release button, no safety (so it's similar to my g19), same takedown buttons as my g19...i have not bought a proper holster just yet but i have been using a remora sticky holster which works well for the time being...still breaking it in but it's eaten everything i've fed it

Last edited:
i think he is talking about the rail on the frame that the slide rides on...i think it's a full length rail...not the accessory rail in front of the trigger guard...not sure why that is a big selling point

Ah, you are probably right and I misunderstood. But loke you, not sure the need for a full rail.

Sig 238. I'm comfortable carrying it cocked and locked and it is easy to carry in my supertuck or in a pocket holster. It's also outrageously easy to shoot well...recoil is so minimal and controllable that staying on target is very easy.

If I had it to do over, I would get a 938 for more stopping power and to not have to stock 2 different rounds (I have other 9's). I've been to some of the sketchier areas of the country late at night with 10 grand worth of camera gear and I never really had any issues, so I don't really feel the need to carry very often and I think 7rds of .380 will ruin someone's day enough for me.

I have a bad impression of M&P due to all the complaints that have been posted here over the years, but I finally got to shoot a shield 9mm and was very very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that gun were I to need a subcompact.

I now have a CZ 75 "Compact"...its...not that compact though. It is, however, awesome.

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools [smile]

The gun shoots fine, I'm actually impressed with how accurate it is and how it shoots similarly to a bigger gun, i think glock nailed it with the 42/43. I just hate pocket/subcompact guns, mostly because 15 rounds is better than 6.

"No love for the Walther PPK/S, or variants?"

Too heavy, I owned one once. It would slide bite me periodically. I found the recoil pretty stiff for a 380 so I sold it.

Look at the sig 225A1 or Cz rami, they are double action first shot hammer fired, some what heavy metal almost sub compact guns, you can get a good grip on the sig but it's single stack so not to chunky. The rami is more sub compact.

"Everytime I hear .380 I think about a court case that I read about.
A guy was being convicted of killing another guy with his 9mm and almost went to prison for life until somebody mentioned the bullet weighed 90 grains. The defendants lawyer was smart enough to know that a 9mm weighs 115 grains and a .380 weighs 90 grains. Case dismissed."

I'm pretty sure 9mm is available in 90 grain.

Last edited:
"Everytime I hear .380 I think about a court case that I read about.
A guy was being convicted of killing another guy with his 9mm and almost went to prison for life until somebody mentioned the bullet weighed 90 grains. The defendants lawyer was smart enough to know that a 9mm weighs 115 grains and a .380 weighs 90 grains. Case dismissed."

I'm pretty sure 9mm is available in 90 grain.

deja vu

- - - Updated - - -

Everytime I hear .380 I think about a court case that I read about.
A guy was being convicted of killing another guy with his 9mm and almost went to prison for life until somebody mentioned the bullet weighed 90 grains. The defendants lawyer was smart enough to know that a 9mm weighs 115 grains and a .380 weighs 90 grains. Case dismissed.

or vuja de

lol i love carrying my g19:)

I have a glock 19 and I like the glock 19 but its striker fired and I grow weary of carrying a striker fired handgun with one in the chamber, especially a glock.
The reason I bought the Sphinx SDP was because its about the same size as a glock 19 but is hammer fired.
Two thoughts pull me away from the striker fired and into the hammer fired.
(1) If there isnt one in the chamber I may be too busy fighting off an attacker to chamber a round.
(2) In a frantic situation where all of the sudden people are running around screaming and I see someone drawing down on me or someone else I dont want to accidentally pull the trigger when drawing or holstering and shoot myself.

So thats why I'm moving into hammer action. That first pull is long and hard, 10 pds on the sphinx. The chance of accidentally pulling the trigger on the way out or in is far less. As long as the decocker is set that is. But once out that 10 pounds will feel like about 2 pounds, I'm thinking.
I am also looking at SUB COMPACT because sometimes, especially in the summer, even the compact is a little large.
So I looked at Sigs although I'm not a Sig guy. They're way too busy for me. Too much stuff and rails and cuts and serrations and funky shapes etc for me. Their P250 is a nice gun, clean, not to busy, no rails. But its striker fired.

Two thoughts pull me away from the striker fired and into the hammer fired.
(1) If there isnt one in the chamber I may be too busy fighting off an attacker to chamber a round.
(2) In a frantic situation where all of the sudden people are running around screaming and I see someone drawing down on me or someone else I dont want to accidentally pull the trigger when drawing or holstering and shoot myself.

Seems that a lot of people think this way, and most fall into one of two categories:
Older armed forces members who were trained to carry their sidearm in condition three.
Or, those who are still fairly new to carrying a handgun and haven't had any formal training or much practice in drawing and firing from concealment.

I have two favorite subcompacts. Initially I had the Shield with the Apex full trigger kit, sights, and a HYVE magazine extension and I felt it still was crap even after the money that went into it.

The two that I currently own are:
1. Sig P320sc with trijicon HD Nights, and a couple of GearCraft IWB holsters
2. Glock 43 with Pierce magazine extension, trijicon HD Nights, and a couple of GearCraft IWB holsters

Why are they my favorite? Simply because I am very comfortable with the firearms, like everyone else we pick firearms we are comfortable. I started with the P320c and currently have around 5,000 to 6,500 rounds through it so why not try the P320sc; although I wish someone built a magazine base with a pinkie extension. The Glock 43 is nice on warm days when I dress in lightweight clothes. Very slim firearm.
I have not fired the P30sk by H&K but it has my attention.

Sincerely,

Ken

It comes down to training training training. Admittedly the first couple of times I appendix carried a striker fired handgun with a round in the chamber I was hesitant. Now it is like putting my cell phone in my pocket except I am not worried about bending my firearm (lol).

Seems that a lot of people think this way, and most fall into one of two categories:
Older armed forces members who were trained to carry their sidearm in condition three.
Or, those who are still fairly new to carrying a handgun and haven't had any formal training or much practice in drawing and firing from concealment.

45collector, I agree!

In my long search for the perfect sub carry gun, I have acquired a lot. And still have most.

Started with a G27, brick. Hated the size and bulk. Then went to a SW337 j-Frame. Perfect at the time, ultra light and small (so I sold the 27). Then I got a NAA Guardian .32, sold it for a Seecamp .32, then got a Sig P238, then a G42, then a G43. While I do have a G26, it's still a small brick (still).

Ultimately the G42 and G43 are my go to sub compact carry guns. I still have most of the above and a NAA mini in .22lr (for an ultra-ultra compact). The J-Frame is still a great gun, but in general, 6+1 9mm is better than 5 .38.

In my long search for the perfect sub carry gun, I have acquired a lot. And still have most.

Started with a G27, brick. Hated the size and bulk. Then went to a SW337 j-Frame. Perfect at the time, ultra light and small (so I sold the 27). Then I got a NAA Guardian .32, sold it for a Seecamp .32, then got a Sig P238, then a G42, then a G43. While I do have a G26, it's still a small brick (still).

Ultimately the G42 and G43 are my go to sub compact carry guns. I still have most of the above and a NAA mini in .22lr (for an ultra-ultra compact). The J-Frame is still a great gun, but in general, 6+1 9mm is better than 5 .38.

i had thought about buying a g26 for the winter but after carrying a pps m2 i don't think i will go back to my g19 in the winter so i don't think i would carry a g26 either since its about the same width and less comfortable to me...it would probably just sit there in the safe...i also sometimes carry my sr22 once in a while depending on the clothing...light, small, easy to shoot fast and accurately, still be able to hear after shooting, just enough to screw up someone's day if came to it...cause something is better than nothing

Back
Top Bottom