TD BANK JOINS FORCES WITH ANTI GUNNERS

I just dumped 3 accounts from them. When I was asked why I was leaving I said straight up " You do not support the second amendment so I will not support you."

On a better note when I went into my new bank I used my LTC-A as my second form of ID to open the accounts with the branch manager and he smiled and said that he would love to accept it as my second form of ID.

I see you're in Ahhlington too, what bank did you switch too? Thinking I need to dump TD...

I know that this bonded warehouse thing is distasteful to many and made more so by owners who are known to rape those whose property that they are responsible for.
I would like to thank this company for posting their fees and process.

Concur, it sounds like the powderhorn is trying to make the best of a bad situation. I don't think Dowd would be so forgiving.

Dowd's who a lot of people think of when they think of bonded warehouses.

When I hear the term "bonded warehouse" it makes my blood pressure go up, but I waited to hear what the Powderhorn actually had to say about their practices before rushing to judgement.

You want some answers Lcstyle???

I've been patient with all of these false accusations about us being crooks/ and thieves with our bonded warehouse and that we are in cahoots with the local police departments. Well let me set the record straight. Yes we have a Bonded Warehouse here at the store. Yews we have fees for the storage of firearms. But please before you open your mouth badmouthing us please be sure to have all the facts. We get calls from local police departments that no longer have room to store care for firearms that have been seized for any reason. Mark works out a time when he can go down to pick up the firearms or the Police Dept. brings them to us. Once here they are cataloged and entered into our bonded warehouse where they are kept. Once they are entered we immediately send out a letter via certified mail letting the owner know that their firearms have been sent to us from the local P.D. for storage. Our Fee for pickup... $FREE. We charge a monthly fee of $10.00 a firearm. We do not charge for Ammo, Accessories, Black powder firearms or air rifles. If the owner of said firearms does not wish to pay the fees then he or she is also given other options. Included in the certified letter that we send out is the option for the owner to have the firearms transferred immediately to a family member or friend with a valid permit or they can choose to consign or sell the firearms to the Powderhorn and or send the firearms to auction. If the owner chooses to transfer the firearms and has a green light from the pd so that we can release them we are able to then transfer to whomever the customer chooses again as long as they have a valid permit. We do charge a fee for the time and paperwork involved in the transfer. If there is one firearm the fee is $40.00. If there are 2 or more firearms then the fee drops to $20.00 a firearm. That is how we run our Bonded Warehouse giving every possible chance we can for the customer to come out on top. If you still have issues with how we run things then please send me a personal message and we can try and straighten out our differences of opinion. And for anyone who has a bad experience with a bonded warehouse in the past I apologize and hope that no one thinks they were taken advantage of by our store.

I appreciate you standing up and answering, but I have a couple questions. Why would accessories, blackpowder firearms or air rifles be in a bonded warehouse? None of those are regulated items.

Also, those transfer fees are a little steep. I understand that you have the 'victim' by the b***s as a captive audience, but other gun owners would think you would stand by us a little. Those transfer fees alone will make me take my business elsewhere.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen those transfer fees are in the ballpark with other gun shops. (I do not know this guy or where his shop is, So I am not taking sides)

+1.

I have no experience with Powderhorn or bonded warehouses, but from the above post it sounds pretty reasonable if those are the rates and they really do go out of their way to help. In fact it sounds like having your guns with them instead of at the police station might even end up working out better (if you need to transfer) for someone unfortunate enough to be in that situation, depending on what you're facing.

Last edited:

I've been patient with all of these false accusations about us being crooks/ and thieves with our bonded warehouse and that we are in cahoots with the local police departments. Well let me set the record straight. Yes we have a Bonded Warehouse here at the store. Yews we have fees for the storage of firearms. But please before you open your mouth badmouthing us please be sure to have all the facts. We get calls from local police departments that no longer have room to store care for firearms that have been seized for any reason. Mark works out a time when he can go down to pick up the firearms or the Police Dept. brings them to us. Once here they are cataloged and entered into our bonded warehouse where they are kept. Once they are entered we immediately send out a letter via certified mail letting the owner know that their firearms have been sent to us from the local P.D. for storage. Our Fee for pickup... $FREE. We charge a monthly fee of $10.00 a firearm. We do not charge for Ammo, Accessories, Black powder firearms or air rifles. If the owner of said firearms does not wish to pay the fees then he or she is also given other options. Included in the certified letter that we send out is the option for the owner to have the firearms transferred immediately to a family member or friend with a valid permit or they can choose to consign or sell the firearms to the Powderhorn and or send the firearms to auction. If the owner chooses to transfer the firearms and has a green light from the pd so that we can release them we are able to then transfer to whomever the customer chooses again as long as they have a valid permit. We do charge a fee for the time and paperwork involved in the transfer. If there is one firearm the fee is $40.00. If there are 2 or more firearms then the fee drops to $20.00 a firearm. That is how we run our Bonded Warehouse giving every possible chance we can for the customer to come out on top. If you still have issues with how we run things then please send me a personal message and we can try and straighten out our differences of opinion. And for anyone who has a bad experience with a bonded warehouse in the past I apologize and hope that no one thinks they were taken advantage of by our store.

Sounds fair enough all around if it stands the test of time.

Fred

I see you're in Ahhlington too, what bank did you switch too? Thinking I need to dump TD...

Leader bank up in the heights (there are 4 branches in Ahhhhligton 1 in Belmont and one in Burlington). Jeffrey (the branch manager) was very nice. Plus it's a small local bank. I like supporting small buisnesses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Last time I checked the Powderhorn and the rest of the gun shops were not listed as nonprofit organizations. You have a much different outlook when you go from being employed to becoming self-employed. Rent, insurance, lights, heat, a/c, employees etc...all cost money and I don't think those fees seem unreasonable compared to the going rate for legitimate shops who have overhead. Leave my guns at the cop shop or pick them up at a gun friendly place for a fee...that's a tough one.

I'm glad you set the record straight and I apologize for any mis-characterization of your business. It doesn't sound like your practices are distasteful and sound reasonable. After all you are like everyone else that is in business there to make profits. I guess it pays to not be prejudiced when it comes to such matters, so I stand corrected and publicly acknowledge it.

While out of your control, if other warehouses operated with the same ethical constraints that you do, we wouldn't hear about as many complaints nor about lawsuits due to the practices of certain bonded warehouse businesses operating in the commonwealth. I'm sure you agree that there are plenty of other types of businesses that in collusion with government are able to fleece consumers out of hard earned money, e.g. towing companies etc., that essentially have you by the ball$ and make you pay through the nose. Much of the time these exorbitant fees can be perceived as unjust civil fines or PUNISHMENT for a behavior rather than reflecting actual costs for services provided. E.G. : "YOU SCREWED UP, SO NOW WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROFIT OFF OF YOU AS PUNISHMENT".

Some would argue that the industry needs more regulation, which means more government. I would argue the opposite, that police shouldn't have the right to take away your guns just because YOU MIGHT commit a crime. That's called "thought-crime", which is essentially to punish people for what they might do (unless of course that person has made threats), many times on the word of another party (in the case of a restraining order). Such a system is open to abuse, and these other warehouses seem to compound the problem by what essentially amounts to stealing the accused's weapons by charging exorbitant fees, making retrieval of their firearms all but impossible.

So please understand that much of the vitriol and frustration I expressed is directed towards these types of situations. Many here have experienced it before, as I am sure that you yourself have probably experienced it at some point or another.

~Sincerely

I forwarded this to someone who was a customer/victim of the bonded warehouse, he disagrees with what you have posted. I've invited him to join the forum and post his thoughts, I will not comment further on his situation unless he decides to join the discussion.

I will say that no matter what fees you charge it's still b.s. - you enable the pd's and participate in the theft of firearms from people who can be victims of b.s. restraining orders.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I forwarded this to someone who was a customer/victim of the bonded warehouse, he disagrees with what you have posted. I've invited him to join the forum and post his thoughts, I will not comment further on his situation unless he decides to join the discussion.

I will say that no matter what fees you charge it's still b.s. - you enable the pd's and participate in the theft of firearms from people who can be victims of b.s. restraining orders.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Was he a customer of Powderhorn or the Dowd Extortion Warehouse? The latter is probably considerably worse, although the whole thing is a ****ing racket of epic proportions.

-Mike

I wonder if someone enterprising enough could start a "bank" that caters to the firearms industry as a whole. Would it and could it work?

So you're telling me that you want to CHARGE A FEE for A SERVICE? Oh, that's horrible[rofl]. Where are all the people on this forum who constantly trumpet: "Capitalism! It's a free market economy!" when you need them? Probably too damn busy selling $100-150 bricks of .22lr on here and Gun Broker... The folks at the Powderhorn have always done right by me. When i inherited some old rifles from out of state I had them sent to them, saving them from being destroyed or turned into the local PD by anti 2A family members. I didn't even have my license yet: they held them for me until I took my course with them and then went through the process of getting my LTC. Even if you don't care to do business with them at least have some appreciation for the work Mark does to protect our 2A rights.

Last edited:
From NRA ILA: "Rest assured, NRA will continue to monitor developments concerning Operation Choke Point and report on any significant activity of concern to gun owners.".

Uh, right... That's helpful. [rolleyes] Cowed by the bully AG?

From NRA ILA: "Rest assured, NRA will continue to monitor developments concerning Operation Choke Point and report on any significant activity of concern to gun owners.".

Uh, right... That's helpful. [rolleyes] Cowed by the bully AG?
At least it appears that the NSSF is being helpful - seems like we might actually see this stopped, which is not something I expected.

At least it appears that the NSSF is being helpful - seems like we might actually see this stopped, which is not something I expected.

Thank you- I checked the NRA site, looking for action and so far found only rhetoric. Hope they get something going. I'd contact them to demand action but will likely receive more junk mail and zero response, if prior experience is any indication.

I appreciate the heads up regarding NSSF. They are working with a House (R) to make an amendment that pulls federal funds from Choke Point or any other effort targeting companies involved in legal firearms commerce. Now that's action! [cheers] (so sayeth I from my couch)...

The Daily Caller picked up on the story:

Gun Seller Dropped By Bank Rejects Their Attempt ‘To Kiss And Make Up’

A Massachusetts gun store owner says it’s “too late” for a bank to mend a relationship that it broke.

Mark Cohen, who owns Powderhorn Outfitters, a Hyannis, Mass. gun retailer, said that his longtime bank, TD Bank, refused to extend a line of credit because of the business he is in.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/31/g...nk-rejects-their-attempt-to-kiss-and-make-up/

Back
Top Bottom