TCR22 Rifle

Matt, what is the complaint with the stock magazine? I remember you posted that it was somewhat difficult to load and the rounds sat in the mag tight - any other issues?
I was able to get out with my rifle yesterday and the mag is hard to load the first round in. It seems at least to me that when you push the lever down to load the magazine, the part inside is supposed to move out of the way so you can get the first round in. On mine it never completely moved out of the way so I had to move the round around and push to get it in. Once the first round is in you don't need to hold the lever anymore and the rest of the rounds fed okay. In using a few different types of ammo I had some FTfeed problems on some and others fired the whole mag without a problem. In regards to the sights I didn't read the manual first although I don't know if it's mentioned but the hex screws just release the sights completely. They aren't micro-adjustable and there are no graduated markings so it's easy to move them too much. The elevation just loosens and slides up and down on its rail and the windage just loosens and moves left or right. I sighted in at 25yds. and actually was not able to adjust all the way down that I needed too but I was able to get at the top of the bullseye a decent group and figured I'll probably be pretty much on out at 50yds depending on the ammo I'm using. The first mag I loaded was with CCI mini-mag HP and it shot high by about 6" and about 2" to the left. It worked fine. The 2nd mag I loaded with the same and I had a couple of FTfeed's. I changed to CCI Standard Velocity and finished sighting in with that and shot several mags of that with no FTfeed's. I also shot some old Remington standard velocity rounds and had some FTfeed's with it. I also shot some old Winchester standard velocity target and had no FTfeeds. I had no FTfires with any of the rounds.

Great review wahsben (Ben?) i concur on all points. I tuned it all in (sights and scope) using CCI MiniMags (this is a norm for me) and then tried about a half dozen various brands of .22lr.
All cycled and functioned well. I only do this to have a mental note on "alternative" brands if I can't get my MiniMags. The tune-is are always the same ammo though.

As to the magazine, I feel that if the notch cut into the magazine body was just a little deeper, then the loading arm would "index" the first fin lower and ease loading of the first round.

The rear sight is quirky with regards to adjusting (which I found out during initial inspection and cleaning) When I went to the range I just loosened it up enough to have to gently tug the sight where I wanted it to go. It actually came in quite quick. My guess is someone will make a fully-adjustable after-market peep for this rifle especially if it can be retro to a stock Ruger 10/22.

~Matt

What do you have planed for your new rifle Jim?

What do you have planed for your new rifle Jim?
Not much at this time Matt. I've already got some Ruger mags and I will wait and see how many accessories become available for it and decide whether I want to make any changes and how many changes I'll make.

Yeah, the nice thing about this rifle is it really is GTG right out of the box.
The rest is just diddling...

Found this shitty scope in my safe still in bubble wrap. I believe it came free with a 870 I purchased several years ago. Never mounted it so it just sat there waiting for a home. Scope meet TC R22. This is your home now. Love that I didn’t have to spend money for once.
F that I’m probably gonna pick up a couple Romeos or vortex red dots anyway.

60FE7965-1727-4AD0-A124-BA285B096470.jpeg

I like the last on waaaaay better then the first one. Nice choice.
What method will you use to affix it? Torque only, thread-locker or silver solder? Something else?
~Matt

Just picked my TCR today (and 2100 rounds of 22 for $89) and took it straight to the range. 300 rounds of mixed 22 with no issues. The mag was a b!tch to load full at first, 8-9 rounds went fine but the tenth was too tight. On this particular mag, the lever worked fine for the first round but it took about 60 rounds or so for mag to loosen up and load all the way to 10.

Next is a scope but I really want something fairly inexpensive (like under $50) since the gun was only $289 before the $50 rebate and with a free case. I'm thinking 4x32 in this price range. I like the Simmons but it seems kind of long for this gun. Something 10-12" long with low rings seems better suited.

I'm looking at the UTG Compact 4x32 CQB, Mil-Dot but have only seen limited reviews ($46 on Amazon).

Any advice or other suggestions are appreciated.

jkerm3, because this is a 10/22 clone you may want to review scope and red-dot options and reviews on Rimfirecentral's web site.
They have some excellent and knowledgeable posters over there. As far as the UTG, I have no experience with it.

RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

Thanks Matt, I'll check it out.

The other "upgrade" I most likely do is change out the cheap plastic recoil pad for something a little nicer. I just have to figure out where to find them for the Magpul stock.

jkerm3, because this is a 10/22 clone you may want to review scope and red-dot options and reviews on Rimfirecentral's web site.
They have some excellent and knowledgeable posters over there. As far as the UTG, I have no experience with it.

RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!
I have a UTG bug buster, 3-9. It’s survived a couple times at the range and I plan on taking it out squirrel hunting this season. So far I like it ok, held good groups at 25 yards.

Thanks Matt, I'll check it out.

The other "upgrade" I most likely do is change out the cheap plastic recoil pad for something a little nicer. I just have to figure out where to find them for the Magpul stock.

Do you want the pad as an expedient "length-of-pull" adjustment or for the actual recoil?

Neither really. The gun has no recoil to speak of and my reach Is fine. I just want to improve the feel of the pad against the shoulder. I never really liked the hard plastic pads as they feel cheap and slippery.

Ah, ok. Let us know what you got and how you like it. Pix too if possible.
Thanks,
~Matt

I just got an email from S&W saying they approved the rebate and will be sending out a $50 gift card from MasterCard, per the deal.

I have a question though as I am a "Cash" guy and not sure what a gift card can be used for.

Can I take that card to the bank and have then deposit its value as cash, or can it only be used to purchase tangibles?
I've already bought my accessories for that rifle and wanted to use the $50 to apply towards that. I guess I can buy more Ammo though...

What are you guys who bought the T/Cr22 planning on doing with your rebate card?

Thanks,
~Matt

Took Friday off and went to the range to see how the iron sights were before I put my scope on it. Surprisingly, it was dead on although my old eyes were struggling a bit out at 50 yards. Had to use a dark contrast target as the dayglow green front sight was tough to pick up on an orange bullseye - at least it was for me. It actually got better once I took my sunglasses off and was looking through a clear lens. I mounted my scope this morning and just got back from the range. Zeroed it at 25 yards to get in the ballpark then zeroed it again at 50 yards. Much easier target acquisition with the scope (duh!) - man you don't realize how old you're getting until you shoot iron sights after using a scope for many years.

Loading that first round in the factory mag is a bitch but it seems to get easier every time you load it. Thank God you only have to hold the little lever for the first round. Ran about 150 rounds through it (total for both trips) and had no issues running standard velocity CCI ammo. The fingertips start to scream after a while - wonder if they make a Magula type loader for these rotary magazines? I did order 3 more factory mag's from TC last week and should see them soon. I am very pleased with this little gem - cheap date so to speak to have a bunch of fun.

Have not shot small game with a .22 in many, many years so it'll be interesting to see if I still have some of the old magic from my younger days. I hunted with a Marlin 99C for a long time and was a very good shot with that microgroove barrel and iron sights. I'm looking forward to walking down a tote road or run and seeing what might present itself as a target of opportunity.

Matt - I got my notification from S&W as well that my rebate card is on the way soon. Not sure what I'll purchase - maybe some more ammo or an accessory for my new toy. You use it just like a credit card until the value is used up.

The other big bonus with the TCr22, in addition to being feature packed, light and a downright good looking rifle, is that you can shoot it all day and still use your shoulder! I've had 2 shoulder surgeries (same shoulder) and had to adapt to that reality. I switched from a 30-06 Rem 7600 auto loader to a Ruger Model .44 Mag for deer hunting because of the weight factor and the shoulder kick factor. I bought a 20 ga. Benelli Montefeltro years ago because it was light and a bit more challenging than my Franchi 12 ga. autoloader - I could knock down anything with that shotgun. Not sure if I'll ever shoot the Franchi again just because I know what my shoulder will feel like after just a few rounds. I'm seriously thinking of selling off my rifles and shotguns that (I hate to admit it) I'm somewhat afraid to shoot anymore. Shooting 150 rounds out the TCr22 was so much fun and a pleasure knowing that I'll still have the use of my shoulder at the end of the day. A day at the range is fun again!

Last edited:
Great Posts Frank, and I know exactly how you feel. This little .22 rifle has been like a Fountain of Youth for me.
I've had .22's for something like 38 years and this little bugger has made me smile big smiles.

It's better to shoot a .22 once a week than a big bore once a year...

~Matt

One other thing - this rifle performs, feels and looks awesome with a scope mounted on the provided rail! Seriously, you get a shitload of gun for short money - great performance and looks plus a bunch of features that don't usually come as part of a package in this price range. A lot of fun for not a lot of $$$. OK, I'm done...

Back
Top Bottom