• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TCR22 Rifle

Anyone with firsthand experience: How's the iron aperture sight on it? Is it adjustable for both windage and elevation? What tools are needed to make adjustments? Is the cheek weld good for using irons?

just picked one up from Carl. Also picked up a Ruger Mark IV as its little bro at the same time.
Hey why buy one when you can buy two.

It's like adopting fraternal twins! Congratulations! [party]

iu

Anyone with firsthand experience: How's the iron aperture sight on it? Is it adjustable for both windage and elevation? What tools are needed to make adjustments? Is the cheek weld good for using irons?

Sight is good, adjustable for windage & elevation.
Tool for windage = 1/16" allen wrench
Tool for elevation = 5/64" allen wrench

Cheek weld while using irons in excellent for me and was the deciding factor when I went down to Four Seasons and shouldered it.

Because both sites are removable, I envision a whole slew of upgrades available in the near future, but the sights as they are are excellent!

Anyone know if these will drop into the Magpul X-22 stock?

Yes, I know the factory stock is a somewhat similar Magpul-based product.

The iron sights are great and the rear is easily adjustable for both windage and elevation. A 1/16" & 5/64" Allen wrench are all that's needed to make the adjustments. Yes, the cheek weld is perfect for picking up the iron sight picture quickly and intuitively. The rear peep & front front are a really nice combo although I ordered a new scope for it anyway as I plan to do some small game hunting this fall. Really nice fit & finish.

T/C says that this will drop cleanly into any 10/22 stock without issue, but to confirm it no, I have not tried it.

Additional note: The T/Cr22 comes with a modular stock and there is an inner rail in the barrel bed channel that can be easily removed to swap over to a heavy bull barrel.
Also, ALL barrels that would fit a Ruger 10/22 will fit this stock and receiver assy.

~Matt

T/C says that this will drop cleanly into any 10/22 stock without issue, but to confirm it no, I have not tried it.

Additional note: The T/Cr22 comes with a modular stock and there is an inner rail in the barrel bed channel that can be easily removed to swap over to a heavy bull barrel.
Also, ALL barrels that would fit a Ruger 10/22 will fit this stock and receiver assy.

~Matt

Thanks! Even if minor fitting is needed that workds for me.

Internally the stock is very much like the X-22 I just prefer to have the mounting options and adjustable LOP.

May pick one of these up.

Found this...
Sounds like the Magpul X-22 will fit perfectly.

The TCR/22 stock is a simplified version of the X-22 stock. You can see it does not have the sling loops in the side of the stock, nor does it have side MLOK slots. Just like a factory 10/22 stock, it does not have LOP adjustment nor cheek risers. It has the same style of grip texture but it is less aggressive than the X-22.
IMG_9219.jpg

I was at Carl's this morning and picked one up too. Looking forward to trying her out. Possibly tomorrow.

Finished the scope tune-in today. (Simmons 22 MAG 4x32) all went well and I really like the built in picatinney rail.
I was shooting dime-sized 3 shot groups a 50 yards in the 10-ring. So, minute-of-chipmunk.

I now have close to 300 rounds of CCI MiniMags, Winchester, and Remington .22lr through it and it ate every round and spit out every casing.
Funny thing, no flyers. All nice groups. Nice barrel...

On another note: The T/Cr22 magazine that came with this rifle sucks. When I push down on the loading arm, the rotary drum's fin does not get fully out of the way causing the need to wiggle the first round in. After that it loads the same as a Ruger BX-1 (stoke) magazine. Mag otherwise works fine.

~Matt

Finished the scope tune-in today. (Simmons 22 MAG 4x32) all went well and I really like the built in picatinney rail.
I was shooting dime-sized 3 shot groups a 50 yards in the 10-ring. So, minute-of-chipmunk.

I now have close to 300 rounds of CCI MiniMags, Winchester, and Remington .22lr through it and it ate every round and spit out every casing.
Funny thing, no flyers. All nice groups. Nice barrel...

On another note: The T/Cr22 magazine that came with this rifle sucks. When I push down on the loading arm, the rotary drum's fin does not get fully out of the way causing the need to wiggle the first round in. After that it loads the same as a Ruger BX-1 (stoke) magazine. Mag otherwise works fine.

~Matt

Matt, did you get the extra factory mag's you ordered and if so, are those a PITA as well?

Matt, did you get the extra factory mag's you ordered and if so, are those a PITA as well?

Hey Frank. No I haven't got them yet. They show "In-stock" and I have an invoice, but no ship date yet. I am hoping that it is only related to this one mag.
I have a dozen or so Ruger BX-1 mags that I have been using in addition to the T/C factory mag and they are much easier to load initially.
Plus, I love the Ruger mags and ordered another dozen on Ebay using the 15% off coupon that member billy2 offered up. They are already on a truck...

I also noticed that when you wiggle a fully loaded Ruger mag you can hear all the nice space the ammo has to move and why they never bind up.
The T/C not so much. When I wiggle a fully loaded T/C mag it is as quiet as a mouse...

~Matt

Matt, how do you like the Simmons scope? If I buy the TCR22 this week I think I am going with the Simmons scope too. But I have also been looking at the BSA Sweet, Barska and Tasco models because they are all so similar in design and price point...what made you choose the Simmons vs the others? Did you use the rings that come with the Simmons? Thanks.

Matt, how do you like the Simmons scope? If I buy the TCR22 this week I think I am going with the Simmons scope too. But I have also been looking at the BSA Sweet, Barska and Tasco models because they are all so similar in design and price point...what made you choose the Simmons vs the others? Did you use the rings that come with the Simmons? Thanks.

I really like the Simmons for .22 rifles. They are a work horse. I've been using them for almost 2 decades. Many shooters poopoo them because they are so cheap, but I've had nothing but good luck with them. When you have a lot of $100-$200 rifles, it doesn't make sense to put $1000 glass on them.

I currently own 2 Barska's and have had BSA's and Tasco's, I prefer the Simmons!

I did not use the Simmon's rings, as they would not interface with the picatinny rail. I used these Weavers:
Weaver #49196 1" fits up to 40mm objective. (the Simmons has a 32mm Objective lens.
I mounted the rings in the first and last slot on the picatinny and moved the scope forward until about 1/16" from the rear ring of the peep sight.
This gave me excellent scope relief right where my cheek weld is. Fast target acquisition too.

~Matt

Sometime tomorrow I will dig out my 2 megapixel sanyo camera and take a pix of it as mounted and you can see it.
I don't own a cell phone, and I'm typing on a 13 year old Desktop running Win XP (I think) so pix are a little work.
Check back tomorrow...

~Matt

Little tip for re-installing the T/Cr22's stock:

After you get the receiver pocket correctly onto the stock "shoulder" at the rear of the receiver cut out, and the barrel has dropped into position you may notice that the stock's allen screw that holds everything together does not line-up with the receiver's threaded hole. (on a nice, tight-fitting stock)
If this is the case, simply grasp the barrel near where it enters the stock by wrapping your hand around the barrel assy, and while feeling the allen screw's orientation with the other, make small movements of the barrel assy until you feel the allen screw "drop" into position on the receiver. Tighten the allen screw firmly and try to replicate this torque each time for consistency.

Hope this helps,
~Matt

Got back to the range today. Felt much cooler (10-15 degrees)
Rifle now has 500 rounds of various ammo through it an still my only complaint is the stock magazine.

Jker3, I grabbed some pics of the Simmons 22 Mag scope and Weaver mounts.
I will begin downloading them today.

~Matt

Scope is tuned-in and Iron Sights are tuned-in.
If needed scope can be ripped off and I can run with the Irons...

Lol. Combat .22 ...

Last edited:

Both the New Ruger BX-1 O.E.M. magazines and the Thompson /Center magazines came in today. I will post back later my impressions and possibly range results.

On a side note: The T/C mags were drop-shipped from the manufacturer. Battenfield Technologies Inc. of Columbia, MD

I fully loaded each T/C mag (10 rds) and they all work identically.
That is to say it is a design issue and not a one-off problem with my magazine.

The Ruger BX-1 is superior to the O.E.M. T/Cr22, and consideration to be given to purchasing those over the T/C mags if performance is your first concern.
If, however you prefer to have a "Last shot" BHO option (which many do) buy a spare or two of the O.E.M. magazines.
I have owned and operated Ruger 10/22's for so long without this option, that it is more second nature to count my shots instead of relying on a mechanical function.
YMMV.

I found these to be a great value for a 3-pack of Genuine Ruger BX-1 magazines:
Ruger BX-1 10/22 Rotary Magazine 10 Round .22 LR Mag Value 3 Pack
^ Fast and Free shipping always a good thing...

~Matt

Last edited:
Got back to the range today. Felt much cooler (10-15 degrees)
Rifle now has 500 rounds of various ammo through it an still my only complaint is the stock magazine.

Jker3, I grabbed some pics of the Simmons 22 Mag scope and Weaver mounts.
I will begin downloading them today.

~Matt

Matt, what is the complaint with the stock magazine? I remember you posted that it was somewhat difficult to load and the rounds sat in the mag tight - any other issues?

Hey Frank,

My complaint with the magazine is that when you push the loading arm all the way down, and the rotary drum spins into position,
the fin of the drum is incorrectly indexed to allow loading of the first round. The rim of the .22lr is larger in diameter then the space between the metal feed lip of the magazine and the fin of the blue rotary drum.
This requires me to push the loading arm down with my left thumb until bottomed out while taking the .22lr cartridge by its lean projectile and attemptt to push the blue fin in far enough that the rim of the .22 case
clears the feed lip. This does not go smooth, ever. After that the other 9 rounds are just like the Ruger BX-1.
~Matt

Back
Top Bottom