Tax Free Holiday Approved - 8/13-14/05

If you buy a frame and "register" it with an FA-10, what do you put down for caliber, barrel length, etc.? [Even though it does NOT meet the MA Legal Definition of a gun in MGLs.]

Chief Ron Glidden stated (in May) that once it is built up into a gun it needs to be "registered" . . . so the natural inclination (to be evil and use the system to destroy the system) would be to re-register it each time the configuration changes.

Seems just as sensible to me! [wink] [twisted] [wink] [twisted]

A guy that I work with, he said that that was the date as well.

Man, I guess that I'm going to have to go down to the PD adn get a handfull of FA-10's.

There are times when I'm at the range that I do that several times.

And, what's even better Len, when I put in the choke on my .45LC barrel, it's now a 410 so that's another change.

Man, I could have to fill out about 6 or so forms every time I take my TC Encore to the range.

Please read my prior post about the "tax free holiday". THIS IS NOT SIGNED INTO LAW YET AND IS SUBJECT TO ANY SORT OF CHANGE THAT THEY DESIRE!

It has passed the House and it is moving on, but it still has a long way to go and the date could change, the exempt products could change, etc.

[The proposed bill would give us TWO "tax free holidays/year" and appears to be an annual event (no further laws needed for the following years). Pretty cool if it does indeed pass as written.]

So, keep an eye on the URLs that I posted as they will tell you when and what makes it to Romney's desk for signature.

LenS said:
You can fill out an UNLIMITED number of "registration" FA-10s in a year!

Man, that could be very bad thing. Can you get FA-10 forms by the pack? [twisted]

I would just be worried that I would start to be watched and the like...maybe pressure in my home town when I renew. You know? Those guys up there are sneaky little weasles.

The town never knows how many FA-10s you file. The info is strictly between you and CHSB. The PD also has better things to do than query your name on their computers daily!

You can also pickup the forms anywhere, doesn't have to be your PD.

Back when I got my C&R FFL I called CHSB and explained that I needed a quantity of FA-10s due to the C&R FFL. They sent me a large number of them (never counted them, probably 25-35). Some others have called and they have balked at sending out more than 1 or 2, so it may depend on who you talk to, how you ask and if they have a clue that C&R FFLs may buy 3-5 guns at a time.

I wouldn't be overly paranoid about it, but that is just me.

hehe

My boss does that too. He'll write in all caps and then put it in red. It get's everyone in a tizzy here at work. I laugh. We have the people in our CA office that get all upset and complain. So now he writes in all caps and puts it in Blue.

Damn CA wussies.

Yea calling for more FA-10s I very politly asked for 10 of them and this lady on the other end (with a heavy asian accent could barly understand the woman) asked why I needed them (duh to register a gun!) I told her becuase I have a C&R ffl and she comes back all snotty like that there is no such thing. So I told her fine I have a regular FFL, will you take my address and send them to me? [roll]

Like she had ANY clue what the federal and state laws where.

C-pher said:
We have the people in our CA office that get all upset and complain

Oh I feel your pain! My company is based out of CA and if you don't end an email with something along the lines of..

"With all my deepest non denominational, and unbiased best wishes"

They cry that you aren't being friendly, or are making them uncomfortable with your continued emotionless and to the point communications...

Adam

It's too funny.

We hired an Sys Admin into the CA LA site. He was from Chicago I think, I mean grew up there. Anyway, he was really good. My boss gets a call from the other guys saying that they need to talk to him (boss).

So, he calls them back, and they say that they don't like the new Admin. When he asks why, they said becuase he makes them work too hard. My boss hung up on them. And I don't mean he said by, he hung up on them.

I don't get those people out there.

He got a call from a director. Guess where the Directors are? Yup, CA. But they are in the Northern CA office. And it seems that the Northern CA folks are better than the LA folks. They will actually work, and not screw things up.

Re: Free Tax day

derek said:
CaptDan3 said:
I have heard that the Tax exepmt day will be Sat August 13th

yipppppieeeeee

New Gun Day

Dan

Has anyone confirmed this yet?

Last nite's FOX NEWS claimed 8/13, but as Len said, it needs to pass the House (expected to) and the price limitation is expected to be 2500.00.

So Don't let your eyes gobble up more than your wallet (or the "break") will allow. My brother (a restaurant owner) is almost giddy with excitement over new stuff he can get for the place.
Fun to watch, actually.

Heh. We already have a deposit down on about $4K worth of new furniture that we'll pay for on the 13th. And since no one piece is over $2500... guess who pays no taxes?

Now... let me see if I can put that WASR on layaway until 8/13...

Ross

centermass181 said:
i always feel like Im in trouble when LenS writes in red....

CM, why? :D

[Sorry, the devil made me do it! [twisted] ]

I just like to make sure that folks have the correct info and sometimes Red is needed to make it stand out. Be aware that some other nifty colors aren't visible in all the backgrounds that are available on this forum (e.g. Cyan is damn near invisible with SubSilver or SubDark background.

WW (and any other C&R FFLs):

Be careful what you tell CHSB, they have told other C&R FFLs to order them from the state at $$. Apparently they charge dealers for every form they "give them". Normal citizens are supposed to get them for "free" (our tax money paid for them).

C&R as a term means NOTHING in MGLs and most of the folks at CHSB are totally ignorant about guns, so the combo makes for some interesting results when you ask them for forms.

NOW LAW

OK, the Sales Tax Holiday is NOW LAW for 2005 (approved 7/22/05).

The dates: Saturday 8/13/05 and Sunday 8/14/05.

Limitations: "...shall not include telecommunications, tobacco products subject to the excise imposed by chapter 64C of the General Laws, gas, steam, electricity, motor vehicles, motorboats, meals, or a single item whose price is in excess of $2,500."

Reference: Chapter 52 of the Acts of 2005
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw05/sl050052.htm

DOR TIR 05-9
http://www.dor.state.ma.us/rul_reg/tir/TIR_05_9.htm

-----------Now for Some Practical Facts About This---------------

- I suggest that you print out a copy of this law (AND DOR TIR) and carry it with you those days. Any doubting merchants . . . you can ask for a supervisor and point it out to them.

- The state is VERY UNLIKELY to notify holders of MA Sales & Use Tax Certificates (they didn't last year and the excuse was they weren't funded to pay for advertising/mailings), and MANY merchants will NOT be aware of this sales tax holiday. It is NOT THEIR FAULT, and none of us should be running a business based on what we hear on the news, but that will be the only way they will know what they are supposed to do.

- There is a provision in this law that IF a merchant erroneously charges you sales tax, they MUST submit that erroneous sales tax to the state! From Section 2 of the law: "...but any excise erroneously or improperly collected during the days of August 13, 2005 and August 14, 2005 shall be remitted to the department of revenue." So do all your arguing at the point of sale, it may be too late afterwards. [It's a hassle for the merchant to get the erroneous tax back from the state, thus many may refuse to reimburse you later.]

- Remember that I said initially (a little too strongly) that this wasn't real until it was signed by the Governor into law? Well the original proposal was for 1 day, but EVERY YEAR. The sausage that came out of Bacon Hill was for 2 days, but ONLY this year!

- The TIR has wording that the purchases over $1000 TOTAL (in a transaction) MUST certify that it is not for "business use". DOR interprets the sales tax holiday as ONLY applying to "personal use" purchases.

I guess many of us will be making our shopping lists for Four Seasons? [lol] Carl better double the stock in his shop!

EDITED: To correct a few errors in my initial post details.

There's a Model 66 that's looking forward to coming home with me and meeting the rest of my collection. Hope they all get along! :)

Ross

Yup, I just called my oil burner company (owned by someone I went to HS with, and he's a shooter/hunter) to arrange to purchase the new oil burner I need on the Tax Free Weekend! That maxes out the savings.

Wish it was for more enjoyable things, but when our heat works this Winter, I'll be grateful . . . that it didn't cost me more! [twisted]

Still hope to pay Four Seasons a visit, but may not be in a mood to spend a lot more that day.

Make your plans now! [twisted]

I even convinced my Wife to postpone a hairdresser appt so she can join my at Four Seasons on Saturday. Also plan on stopping in on Collector's in Stoneham as well.

AAA guns in springfield is offering 15% off. 5 for the tax and 10% for coming into the store. Heard it on the radio on my way home.

I won't be shopping on Saturday or Sunday, but if I was, I'd be buying a very sweet looking "Assault Weapon" that's on the rack up at Bob's.... ah well...maybe next year.

Lynne said:
I won't be shopping on Saturday or Sunday, but if I was, I'd be buying a very sweet looking "Assault Weapon" that's on the rack up at Bob's.... ah well...maybe next year.

Are you going to keep us in suspense? What is it? AK? AR? FAL?

Nickle said:
Lynne said:

Are you going to keep us in suspense? What is it? AK? AR? FAL?

[oops] I forgot to add that it's an AR...I think. Since I can't afford it, I didn't want to hold it. I knew it would say "PLEASE take me home." and I've got such a soft heart. :D

Nickle said:
You can always build one. It's not really all that hard. Mostly assembly of parts, kind of like building a model car, but no glue involved.

Sometimes glue is the best part. [lol] [lol] I've thought about building one, but it still takes some $$'s which I don't have to spare at the moment. Like I said....someday....

Back
Top Bottom