Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Good afternoon all - August 21 is the third Sunday of the month and we will have the monthly steel plate shoot. Rules have been posted repeatedly in this thread and are on the website.

Setup starts at 9, first shots at 10AM. $5 per entry.

Show up and have fun.

Ah I'm away this weekend. Have fun guys and good luck Ben!

Had a good time today, thanks to all for putting in the work setting up. Next time, I'll arrive earlier and stay later to assist.

So I've been a member at TR&P for around 3 years now but I've never once been to the trap range on Sunday mornings. I've done plenty of shooting but not one bit of skeet or trap shooting. How does one go about starting up with that? If I bring my own shotgun, ammo, and clays can I just walk on Sunday morning? Are there experienced people who are okay with showing the ropes to a newbie?

Im looking into a bare bones pump 12 ga for this purpose, as well a home defense shotgun. Thanks in advance for input.

If I bring my own shotgun, ammo, and clays can I just walk on Sunday morning? Are there experienced people who are okay with showing the ropes to a newbie?

Essentially, yes. There is usually a signup sheet. Show up, say 'hi, I'm new' and you should get a chance to shoot pretty quickly, and at least as much advice as you'd like.

The trap shooters are a good bunch.

Im looking into a bare bones pump 12 ga for this purpose, as well a home defense shotgun. Thanks in advance for input.

For best results bring a 'interesting' shotgun like a ksg or something that screams tactikool....
(I kid, but it's fun to watch the guys with $1,500 break actions shake their heads)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For best results bring a 'interesting' shotgun like a ksg or something that screams tactikool....
(I kid, but it's fun to watch the guys with $1,500 break actions shake their heads)

Yeah, I don't want to be laughed off of the range on my first day shooting trap

I'm in talks to purchase a Hawk 982. It's the Rem 870 knock off made by Norinco. Seems to be right up my alley. It has ghost ring sights tho, so that may make trap shooting more difficult? I figure target loads with an 18.5" cylinder bore should spread nice for me and make life easy.

Hello,
Can someone explain to me why pistol caliber carbines are not allowed on the indoor range at the club? The rules say they are "always prohibited". I was just wondering why, did something happen?

Thanks,
-Cuz

Yeah, I don't want to be laughed off of the range on my first day shooting trap

I'm in talks to purchase a Hawk 982. It's the Rem 870 knock off made by Norinco. Seems to be right up my alley. It has ghost ring sights tho, so that may make trap shooting more difficult? I figure target loads with an 18.5" cylinder bore should spread nice for me and make life easy.

i was welcomed with my tactical black $180 mossberg maverick. They are a great bunch of guys.

I was just wondering why, did something happen?

PISTOL caliber carbines had previously been permitted on ranges. Unfortunately, there were too many folks who thought that meant they could shoot 12 gauge slugs, .30-06 and 7.62x54R on the indoor ranges.

The E-board was tired of dealing with idiots and jerks [and they probably still are tired of that, actually] and now the rule is no centerfire rifles.

The new indoor pistol caliber rule bothers me. I specifically bough several rifles in pistol calibers to shoot at the indoor range during the winters. Now I never use them.

It's not that new, I iquired a few years ago when I got a few pcc's. I was told by the President pretty much the same as bender said. To many idiots abusing the system so they have to say no center fire rifles of any caliber. Elections coming up though, run for the board and make some changes...
(For the record I don't like the no PCC rule but I fully understand it and agree with the need)

PISTOL caliber carbines had previously been permitted on ranges. Unfortunately, there were too many folks who thought that meant they could shoot 12 gauge slugs, .30-06 and 7.62x54R on the indoor ranges.

The E-board was tired of dealing with idiots and jerks [and they probably still are tired of that, actually] and now the rule is no centerfire rifles.[/COLOR]

Thanks Bender, I had a sneaking suspicion it was something like that. It sucks, but as a member of another gun club's E-Board for many years I totally understand it. Always amazed me how stupid and ignorant "some" gun owners can be.

Thanks for the response.
- Cuz

Im all set with running for anything at the club. I am more than happy paying my dues and just shooting there.

It's not that new, I iquired a few years ago when I got a few pcc's. I was told by the President pretty much the same as bender said. To many idiots abusing the system so they have to say no center fire rifles of any caliber. Elections coming up though, run for the board and make some changes...
(For the record I don't like the no PCC rule but I fully understand it and agree with the need)

Does anyone know if the there will be a Trap League this Fall and when sign ups are?
Thanks.

Hi. I talked to Joe Chaves today.

There may be a fall trap league. There is interest. Details as they become available.

'Ron Swanson' - Good news. If I can find out who you are, I'm nominating you for a position on the E-board. I think you'd be a great building superintendent. Rifle use has been restricted on the indoor range since at least 1987, the oldest copy of club rules that I have access to.

The new indoor pistol caliber rule bothers me. I specifically bough several rifles in pistol calibers to shoot at the indoor range during the winters. Now I never use them.

Been the rules since I've been here for 5 years. I shoot outdoor in the winter, typically need a jacket though. Any chance you have a Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm that you never shoot? I'd be interested in buying it.

imagejpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 66
It does suck that a few can ruin it for everyone else. Unfortunately there's no efficient way to monitor every single shooter to check if some are pistol caliber rifles vs other center fire rifles.

Quick reminder:

TOMORROW is September's monthly meeting.
A home firearm safety course will follow.

The annual election will occur in October. Indoor pin shoots after monthly meetings will resume in October.

The wide 100 yard range is for shooting at 100 yards only; function check your pistols on another 50 or 100 yard range.

The wide 100 yard range is for shooting at 100 yards only; function check your pistols on another 50 or 100 yard range.

Is this true for when the other 3 ranges are being occupied? I honestly can't remember seeing that (it's been a while since i read the rules) and I think I'm guilty of that last weekend...

Had the same thing happen to me a few months back. The only one open was the wide 100. I set up shop at the 10yd line and proceeded to shoot ( I rarely go past 50rds ). Guy walked down to me and politely said there were other ranges for pistol.

Steel plate shoot @ Outdoor range this Sunday.

Same rules apply as posted in May, June, July, August - with one minor modification. In order to get more people shooting more frequently, we haven't been using the 8 person elimination setup. Instead, at the shoot, pick someone to shoot against. Each shooter pays $1 for the run, shooters compete head to head. Winner gets bragging rights.

Steel plate shoot @ Outdoor range this Sunday.

Same rules apply as posted in May, June, July, August - with one minor modification. In order to get more people shooting more frequently, we haven't been using the 8 person elimination setup. Instead, at the shoot, pick someone to shoot against. Each shooter pays $1 for the run, shooters compete head to head. Winner gets bragging rights.

planning to be there

Back
Top Bottom