• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taunton Rifle and Pistol bends over

slap shot

NES Member
Not surprised after what I've seen there recently. Still sucks. And I don't care what you think about bump stocks, it's the fact that the law doesn't go into effect for 180 days but they are banning use now.

Taunton Rifle & Pistol Club
4 hrs ·
"Bump Stock" Use At Outdoor Range Facility

On November 3rd the Lt. Governor signed into law legislation which makes possession of "bump stocks" and "trigger cranks" illegal to posses. This law goes into effect 180 days after it was signed. Although these devices are legal until until sometime after April 4, 2018, the use of these devices on club ranges is prohibited effective immediately.

my club banned them almost 2 years ago. it was a matter of accuarcy and lack of control with bump stocks.

i've seen the full array of idiots at the range who have no idea wtf they're doing with semi-auto, let alone bump stocks.

full auto has always been allowed with the appropriate green card

You should be able to shoot a bazooka if you can keep the projectile on the range and in the berm, if you can't do that I don't want you to have a potato gun.
That's funny although I'm sure if your blasting bazooka your going to be the head of back stop repair committee.
Interesting you mention potatoes guns. Im sure several clubs ban those. My dad showed us how to make a spudgun correctly and aquanet hair spray was the best fuel.

Air Compressor @ 120PSI with a well glued Sch 40 3'x4" pipe as an air tank will put combustion guns to shame.
Better than Acetylene?? The spud put a rather large dent in the dumpster it was aimed at and the end cap failed resulting in a cut skin on the Winnebago.

What about the indoor range? LOL

It's a liability issue. Imagine on Jan 10, someone bump-fires and kills a guest at the range not with the member's party.

Guest's family sues club. Pretty good case to bump that award given the STATE made the things illegal this year - regardless of when they are officially "illegal."

I'm sure if every member would be willing to kick in an extra $500 per year, you could get Lloyds of London to insure the place for just about everything. Anything goes range.

It only takes one moron.

Welcome to 2017
Welcome to Massachusetts

if you can keep the projectile on the range and in the berm, if you can't do that I don't want you to .......

How would those tasked with keeping the range safe, and keeping it open for the next generation determine this? Looking for serious suggestions here. Would you have to qualify? Would you have to qualify with each type of gun you intend to shoot? What are reasonable qualification standards? Maybe a lot depends on where the club is located, and whats around it?

How would those tasked with keeping the range safe, and keeping it open for the next generation determine this? Looking for serious suggestions here. Would you have to qualify? Would you have to qualify with each type of gun you intend to shoot? What are reasonable qualification standards? Maybe a lot depends on where the club is located, and whats around it?

Harvard would probably "bump" these to their full-auto range (they have two). You must qualify with the range-manager to be able to go rapid/full-auto fire on those ranges.

I'm just here to watch the "I support the 2A but..." crowd talk about how bump stocks shouldn't be allowed at clubs.

I reject your reality, and replace it with my own...

I'm a Fudd, but I support everyone's right to own tacticool stuff that I think is silly. Plastic is for handguns only - rifles and shotguns should be wood. But if it floats your boat to be dumb, go ahead. As for bump stocks, or even full auto, how do you get good enough to keep all your rounds on the berm, without firing them?

I've been shooting for decades, and while no champion or Grand Master, I'm pretty good. However, the times I've shot full auto (M-16, M-60, M-3, Thompson, Uzi, and MP-5) it is still an initial surprise. Granted, I don't shoot FA very often, and I know what to expect, but I guarantee that I'd be terrible in my first burst out of anything right now. Maybe not off the berm, but I reckon it would take at least a second burst to relearn what I'm doing.

If you don't allow practice, you'll never get anyone new.

The owner of the I belong to here in Georgia has said on more than one occasion "I don't care how fast you fire as long as your shots stay in the berm". We have guys running full auto on a fairly regular basis.

We also have guys doing stupid stuff, and as they're discovered they're educated or they're weeded out.

One club I belong to banned them a few years back. I understand the argument on both sides. I disagree with the ban.

When I learn to shoot, our silent retired kernel didn't f*** around and wasn't a helicopter instructor. You broke rules, you were out. No exceptions. We were like 12 at that time? You were old enough to understand the deal and deal with consequences.

Many ranges have baffles that make it difficult to shoot into clear sky. Some members shoot them for shits and giggles. They should be hunted down and expelled. The intent is hard to prove though. At very least, if you shoot the baffle, go on the work party and repair it or pay for someone to do it. It's your club too.

1. You should not ban bumpstocks because of stray rounds, but you need to periodically inspect baffles and hunt down a-holes for destruction of property. It's not that hard. If they keep shooting up club property, stupid should hurt, and they need to fix the shit they destroy.

2. Ranges without baffles or ample backstop need to figure out way to be safe. May be pits with shorter distance to the back stop.

3. "Rapid" fire is a bullshit, weak sauce argument. A bunch of people at the range sound like auto fire. If you are dumbass homeowner who bought your house next to the range, STFU and suck it up.

4. Range time should be fun. Fun and safe. Don't try to please antis or your neighbors. You have very few friends in this state and they are other shooters. If people stop going to the range the sport will die. Doing so, not only you are f-ing your grandkids out of their Gd given birthright, you are f-ing all the people who fought and died for whatever freedoms you are left to enjoy at the moment. Don't f*** those people, try hard to give freedom a chance and hold a-holes responsible.

What about the indoor range? LOL

It's a liability issue. Imagine on Jan 10, someone bump-fires and kills a guest at the range not with the member's party.

Guest's family sues club. Pretty good case to bump that award given the STATE made the things illegal this year - regardless of when they are officially "illegal."

I'm sure if every member would be willing to kick in an extra $500 per year, you could get Lloyds of London to insure the place for just about everything. Anything goes range.

It only takes one moron.

Welcome to 2017
Welcome to Massachusetts
Semi-automatics can malfunction and inadvertently fire several rounds - they should be banned from ranges to make sure that no one can sue because after all it only takes one moron. Only revolvers should be allowed with just one chamber loaded at a time and you can reload once every fifteen minutes to cut down on the noise - again, wouldn't want neighbors to sue over noise.

liabilities can be dealt with by release forms, I'm sure that any user agreements from M$ or Apple have more rights over your body than a waiver is. Also, anyone can sue everyone. As Russians say, those who fear wolves should never enter a forest and never drink vodka or procreate.

my club banned them almost 2 years ago. it was a matter of accuarcy and lack of control with bump stocks.

i've seen the full array of idiots at the range who have no idea wtf they're doing with semi-auto, let alone bump stocks.

full auto has always been allowed with the appropriate green card
No bumps at my club....been a no no for awhile. Too many ass clowns firing over the berms.

liabilities can be dealt with by release forms, I'm sure that any user agreements from M$ or Apple have more rights over your body than a waiver is. Also, anyone can sue everyone. As Russians say, those who fear wolves should never enter a forest and never drink vodka or procreate.

Waivers don’t prevent the club from being liable if a round leaves the range. Nor would they prevent the club from getting shut down if a round leaves the range.

My club banned them a while ago. They never allowed FA as far as I know so bumpstocks were definitely not going to get approval from the club. They also don't allow rapid fire...still trying to figure out what they consider rapid fire. Earlier this year I was yelled at by a range nazi for "rapid firing" my sub2000 where I was firing a shot every 1.5-2 seconds...That seemed slow as s*** to me but the guy yelling at me took 15-20 min to shoot 10 rounds from his AR....

Anyway, didn't mean to drift off topic. I think bumpstocks are kinda lame and wouldn't ever buy one, but still don't think they should be banned.

The rationale at the local club is that the full auto guys have put in the time, effort and expense to get there, and are going to be much more experienced, and far less interested in having their stuff and licenses taken away.

The rationale at the local club is that the full auto guys have put in the time, effort and expense to get there, and are going to be much more experienced, and far less interested in having their stuff and licenses taken away.

Sounds like Russia, you need 5 years of toting a smoothbore before allowing a rifle :) Nyet, f*** that shit.

At this rate, having an LTC alone takes time, effort and expense and it may get worse. Too much freedom that peasants can't handle.

At this rate, having an LTC alone takes time, effort and expense and it may get worse. Too much freedom that peasants can't handle.

Actually, mine showed up in the mail when they first instituted them to replace my no longer "indefinite" FID. I had no idea what it was.

my comment about waivers was in regard to guests being shot sideways by another person at the range. No, they are not bullet proof either. As to over berm shots, some ranges have buffles and still not-ok bumpfire.

Back
Top Bottom