• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taunton Rifle and Pistol bends over

The rationale at the local club is that the full auto guys have put in the time, effort and expense to get there, and are going to be much more experienced, and far less interested in having their stuff and licenses taken away.
i have seen those with to much money disprove this theory.

Can't do much of anything good any more bud, with or without permission slip.

My question still stands though....

What are reasonable qualifications for someone to be allowed to shoot anything, bumpfire or otherwise at a gun club without supervision?

Can't do much of anything good any more bud, with or without permission slip.

My question still stands though....

What are reasonable qualifications for someone to be allowed to shoot anything, bumpfire or otherwise at a gun club without supervision?

Couldn't tell you b/c I'd never join a club with RSO's and if one changed into needing RSO's I'd be gone.

my comment about waivers was in regard to guests being shot sideways by another person at the range. No, they are not bullet proof either. As to over berm shots, some ranges have buffles and still not-ok bumpfire.

Waivers don’t provide much protection in such an instance.

Couldn't tell you b/c I'd never join a club with RSO's and if one changed into needing RSO's I'd be gone.

I'm going to assume you mean an "on duty at all times" RSO. Most clubs have RSO's and I know my club has somewhere around 100 range officers, but we aren't there to tell you what you can do as long as you do what is allowed and it's done safely. Break the rules and we will say something, be unsafe, we will say something. Shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger, go ahead waste your ammo and have fun.

If you are saying you would leave your club because they have to have an RSO at all time, I'm with you on that and I'd leave mine too. Oh and I'm a Range Officer at my club.

What about the indoor range? LOL

It's a liability issue. Imagine on Jan 10, someone bump-fires and kills a guest at the range not with the member's party.

Guest's family sues club. Pretty good case to bump that award given the STATE made the things illegal this year - regardless of when they are officially "illegal."

I'm sure if every member would be willing to kick in an extra $500 per year, you could get Lloyds of London to insure the place for just about everything. Anything goes range.

It only takes one moron.

Welcome to 2017
Welcome to Massachusetts

^ This.....
it only took 1 idiot in vegas to screw it up for all of Ma. No sense to screw it up for 3000+ members by getting club shut down.......

I'm not a child out on recess, I don't need supervision while exercising my constitutional rights. I'd never join a range where RSOs have to be on duty for me to shoot.

Waivers don’t provide much protection in such an instance.

nothing does, not on Jan10 or now or a year ago.

There were cases when dumbasses shown a complete, unfired round to police and claimed that it was shot from the range nearby. There is not 100% bulletproof way for a gunclub to be safe.

He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few gun club members who could use supervision. The next time you are at a gun club, look up at the overhead baffles.

The range at Lonely Mountain Arms allows the use of them. Since it happens to be my backyard...

Seriously, NOW I'm starting to want one. Because f*** anyone who wants to ban them, that's why.

(Personally, I think they're goofy overpriced toys and have no use for one. My finger works just fine without one and I'd rather hit what I'm aiming at than just make noise. But try banning it, and like any good American, I want one because f*** you.)

Semi-automatics can malfunction and inadvertently fire several rounds - they should be banned from ranges to make sure that no one can sue because after all it only takes one moron. Only revolvers should be allowed with just one chamber loaded at a time and you can reload once every fifteen minutes to cut down on the noise - again, wouldn't want neighbors to sue over noise.

Oh but wait, you can bump fire a SW500 or other large revolvers as well, so only one round allowed to load at a time.... lol FuddLogic (TM).

-Mike

I'm not a child out on recess, I don't need supervision while exercising my constitutional rights.

This is one the parts I'm a little fuzzy on.
And please, don't take me the wrong way. I think the information and tidbits gleaned from an honest discussion on this matter can be of some value to those who are in RSO or ban this or that clubs , and wish to get that rolled back. Looking for guidance, and good ideas.

Anyways, do your 2a rights extend to private property owned by a private entity, i.e the club, or is it their way, or the highway.

Last edited:
I'm not a child out on recess, I don't need supervision while exercising my constitutional rights. I'd never join a range where RSOs have to be on duty for me to shoot.

When you joined the club, were you required to show proficiency before being allowed to use the range? If so, what did you have to do?

You've never come across a "FIFY" before? I was pointing out the fallacy of your argument.

If you hard marked it as FIFY with a strikeout, then that would have been fine, because that makes it clear who wrote what. But you didn’t do that.

I don't need supervision while exercising my constitutional rights.

And not to totally beat the crap out of a dead horse, how do you tell the guys who really don't need supervision, from the guy who just bought the damn thing, but is too proud, or ignorant or testosterone fueled to admit he doesn't have a clue as to how to run it? They'd pretty much say the same thing, right?

And not to totally beat the crap out of a dead horse, how do you tell the guys who really don't need supervision, from the guy who just bought the damn thing, but is too proud, or ignorant or testosterone fueled to admit he doesn't have a clue as to how to run it? They'd pretty much say the same thing, right?
Help me out. Are you advocating for firing line range testing prior to being a full fledged member of a club?

Yes that's a serious question.

I am looking for help in order to make a sensible argument that some percentage of membership does not need RSO supervision.

Neither would I. But I do happen to agree with a range safety demonstration in front of an RSO or other club official before being voted into membership and given privelage to use the range. I run these "tests" at my club along with a few other members. Probably given 30 tests over the last 2 years......failed one guy. He was a bumbling mouth breathing f***ing fool that kept pointing his pistol sideways at the next lane to manipulate the slide. Told him 3 times to stop and try again after some advice. I was being lenient too......technically I should have failed him the moment he pointed the pistol sideways down the firing line He got pissed at me......packed up and left. f*** him......learn proper fire arms safety and I'll let you into the club. I don't want people like that in a lane next to me or my wife and kids.......and I'm sure you don't either.

Last edited:
There are guys at my club who shoot their ARs at about the rate of muzzle loader. They refer to people who shoot handguns or even rifles more rapidly as "blasters". I don't care how slowly the precision AR guys shoot, that's their business. How fast I shoot, OTOH, is my business.

My club banned them a while ago. They never allowed FA as far as I know so bumpstocks were definitely not going to get approval from the club. They also don't allow rapid fire...still trying to figure out what they consider rapid fire. Earlier this year I was yelled at by a range nazi for "rapid firing" my sub2000 where I was firing a shot every 1.5-2 seconds...That seemed slow as s*** to me but the guy yelling at me took 15-20 min to shoot 10 rounds from his AR....

Anyway, didn't mean to drift off topic. I think bumpstocks are kinda lame and wouldn't ever buy one, but still don't think they should be banned.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few gun club members who could use supervision. The next time you are at a gun club, look up at the overhead baffles.
I am looking for help in order to make a sensible argument that some percentage of membership does not need RSO supervision.

ugh, F*** in **** ****hole, Jesus **** martin. This is the same problem with gun control in general in this state.

1. You will never be able to legislate out a-holes!

no matter what range tests or prohibitions or anal probing, there will always be a guy with a bolt action rifle who will want to know if his Mauser round would go through half inch of steel for shits and giggles. You need to hunt them down and out them.

no amount of live supervision or cameras on the range will change some people's desire to shoot up target frames or whatever.

2. Shooters need to start growing balls and speak up when appropriate.

how many mini-rants did we have here about people coming from the range or a gun shop ranting "holy shit, that guy muzzle swept me, I will never go back there again" Americans and especially Kornell graduates seem to have this in-face conflict avoidance routine, instead of correcting a problem there and then, they say nothing, bottle their little anger and bitch a lot later. I can not understand that or how to fix it.

3. Shooters need to stop being f-ing scarety cats afraid of own shadow.

Yeah, life is full of dangers even in your own bed, never mind leaving your house. We also live in a totalitarian state of mAss. Antis will make up stories about stray bullets from a range (done befo!) People will accidentally shoot something they should not. Neighbors will bitch about too much noise. Instead of being f-king nanny helicopters and trying to PREVENT life, you need to DEAL with life and all good and bad that it brings.

That means f-king over antis, fighting back and rooting out rats. You will never be 100% safe from lawsuits or danger, but we sure as hell can learn how to better deal with it.

That POS who outed mail order ammo, that dude with Polytech and a bumpfire stock. That POS shoots that bumpfire but somehow feels that everyone else is not good enough to do the same. Look in mirror!

sounds like back then you could make your own MGs, not something we can legally do today without permits and licenses.
This is crazy, but at the moment Poland and a few other countries have better laws with regards to MG than we do. I'm not sure what the most recent change is, but as of 2011 Poland had better concealed carry and just general gun laws than Massachusetts.

Taunton is a good club with a lot of very nice people as members. I have competed in many pistol matches against their (now 3!) teams over the years, and I enjoy myself every time I go there. That is all on their indoor ranges; I have not seen their outdoor ranges.

If a club wishes to take a cautious move in order to protect themselves, I can't really argue against it. Having been a board member at a club (not Taunton) we had to change range rules now and them, and I found that it takes time for any new rule to trickle out into the minds of the members, so maybe 6 months early isn't as awful as people say. How many Taunton members were affected by this rule? Any?

Although I think bump stocks are idiotic nonsense, I oppose government control of any sort over them. What a private entity does on its own property, though, it up to that private entity.

I saw their post on FB. They aren't banning it from the club because people can't keep the rounds on target, if that were the case then this wouldn't have been done as a result of the ban from the state. Just another example of those who should be supporting the 2A doing the exact opposite. I used to be a very vocal supporter of this club, been there for several years now. My most recent interaction with an RSO was a joke, and now stuff like this...

I think bump stocks are stupid, but I think if someone wants to own one they can.

Great place, great people. It just needs a little adjustment, IMHO. I'm not all that big on running away from stuff either.
I look at it like this. I belong to 3 clubs.

Acton MA is mostly a shot gun club IMO that has a decent outdoor rifle and pistol range that's 5 mins from the house. No RSO. Safety walk thru required.
Harvard MA is more of an anything goes club for rifles and pistols but lacks any formal shotgun stuff. 25 mins from the house. I think its one of the best clubs around and the bird hunting program is very good. Love packing up the truck midday work week and going shooting. No RSO. Safety walk thru required. Range test on 2-300 yrd range only.
Big Pine Gun Club. Guilford ME. Joined to have a real range to shoot at versus sand pits that have hikers and ATV's all around. Don't need an accident. Closest range to 2nd home. Shoot out to 400 yrds with many other activities happening. Club went thru many upgrades. Has a physical address for my SBR form 20. No RSO. Safety walk thru required.

Formally a member at Westford, Lowell, Littleton and Concord over the years. Not one had a RSO requirement while I was a member. Spent a lot of time on the board at Concord.

Back
Top Bottom