• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Yes I can. I'm sitting on architectural plans to redo the kitchen because the prices are too high. This also is a false equivalency as while I'm paying cash, most people use debt to finance home improvements & thus much of this is driven by rock bottom interest rates. Also, I wouldn't pay for a Peloton if it was temporarily marked up either.

Thanks for confirming my point.

Nonsense, this is always cyclical & either supply permanently increases to a new baseline or demand returns down to a normal level, or both happen. These prices are not permanent & to think so defies logic. The bozos & price gougers buying every single round they can are driving much of this.
I personally know 7 people who became new shooters during this thing and a few more that are not new shooters but were always buy 1 shoot 1 types. They all have disposable income and deep pockets. As much ham as I buy from TSUA or wherever else they will take. And usually throw me a couple of extra dollars for. They don't care what I paid in January of 2020. they just know the prices I come across are significantly cheaper than what they come across unless they throw elbows at bass pro in the morning. You are going to be waiting a long time for any sort of relief on prices. Maybe in a year or two if things don't get worse you see 35 cpr for 9. But I'm not sure what would inspire confidence in that right now.

In my humble opinion the massive stimulus packages have caused irreparable damage to the dollar. You can see inflated prices everywhere, even haircuts and pizza. I'd rather you be right and have it turn out that I've over paid for ammo, but if 3 years from now I look back and turns out I over paid a bit I wont really care. I'll shoot it all with a smile on my face.

In my humble opinion the massive stimulus packages have caused irreparable damage to the dollar. You can see inflated prices everywhere, even haircuts and pizza. I'd rather you be right and have it turn out that I've over paid for ammo, but if 3 years from now I look back and turns out I over paid a bit I wont really care. I'll shoot it all with a smile on my face.

Think you hit the nail on the head, government says no inflation but other sources say there is and it's significant. If hypothetically inflation is running 20%, that means that inflated 9mm instead of $0.60/rd should be what $0.48/rd? (ouch math!)

I think based on what I've personally paid for all types of consumer products now vs. 1yr ago after all the free money I'm thinking that inflation is real and it's hitting the ammo market.

According to my spreadsheet and unscientific numbers, 9mm has been at $0.60/rd since late December. However it seems to be easier to find and lasts longer online now vs. December. I did pay $0.83/rd early on once but if I exclude that and defensive rounds the $0.60/rd holds steady by my purchases.

Well nothing new to add to this convo however I just scrolled through a ton of text only to discover that everything was, as usual, gone by the time I saw it. Carry on...

I personally know 7 people who became new shooters during this thing and a few more that are not new shooters but were always buy 1 shoot 1 types. They all have disposable income and deep pockets. As much ham as I buy from TSUA or wherever else they will take. And usually throw me a couple of extra dollars for. They don't care what I paid in January of 2020. they just know the prices I come across are significantly cheaper than what they come across unless they throw elbows at bass pro in the morning. You are going to be waiting a long time for any sort of relief on prices. Maybe in a year or two if things don't get worse you see 35 cpr for 9. But I'm not sure what would inspire confidence in that right now.

I think we're conflating ammo prices & overall commodity prices.

Also, inflation remains rather benign across the entire spectrum of goods & services. Sure there are pockets of inflation, but there isn't much broad inflation. At least based on the data & Jerome Powell's own commentary.

All i know is that these ammo price spikes happen cyclically to the tune of the political winds blowing. Similar thing happened after Sandy Hook, then riots, then this election results.. and on and on and on. It'll happen again the next time political fear is at its maximum level. This is the nature of the beast with the ammo supply vs. demand. Feeding into the hysteria makes it worse, not better.

7 people? That's awesome, always happy to hear more people get into the hobby. I know 3 myself after having dragged them all through the process here in MA from start to finish.

This is all economics. IF these 8 million new gun owners cause a permanent parallel shift in demand, the ammo companies will eventually follow with a permanent shift in supply. Else they'd be losing money.

i was late to the game but when i finally woke up and realized where prices are going - i stocked up in between may-october 2020, right before 9mm went above 55cpr mark, i think the last case i got was a federal brass 124gr from TSUA at 60cpr, may be, it was the priciest buy ever. 9mm tula cases were at 40-45cpr, .223 tula/wolf at same level, i think.

now, other than buying some match grade rounds from CMP every now and then, not sure what to do, it is just too much. a $700 for a case on a regular basis? no way.
but with a pile of full .50 cal cans in the safe i can now wait quite a bit and have some fun with .22lr. it is what it is, i guess.

a match grade 75gr 5.56 frontier i just got to re-check new rifle was at $25 per a pack. no way. at least i can admit - right now i am definitely priced out of this hobby, to be able to shoot 100+ rounds or so on a weekly basis. it will have to wait.

Briefly had 22LR Hollow Points (scored one box) and 5.56 NATO 62gr and 55gr but those were gone instantly...

Has been there for a few minutes...
I grabbed some S&B 30-06 just as the gates closed.

I'm talking about bullets, not sure why you're talking about anything other than bullets. Great, the money supply went up, don't care. Bullets cost more because people are panic buying every round they can. Sure there are also a ton of new gun owners, but they're not the sole problem.

As is the case with all things, this too shall pass. When? The f*** knows. This is as basic supply v. demand as you can get. They have never been making more ammo in the history of this country than right now... demand has simply skyrocketed.
Smh 🤦🏼‍♂️

Surely it has everything to do with supply and demand and not the price of materials. Copper is so cheap at over $4 a pound. You my friend are very hard headed.

Riot control anyone?

Riot control anyone?

Too pricey, Ill stick to buckshot :rolleyes:

Smh 🤦🏼‍♂️

Surely it has everything to do with supply and demand and not the price of materials. Copper is so cheap at over $4 a pound. You my friend are very hard headed.

lol, yeah, and I'm sure it's the copper prices & not the massive spike in demand coupled with the price gouging that is occurring.

I think we're conflating ammo prices & overall commodity prices.

Also, inflation remains rather benign across the entire spectrum of goods & services. Sure there are pockets of inflation, but there isn't much broad inflation. At least based on the data & Jerome Powell's own commentary.

All i know is that these ammo price spikes happen cyclically to the tune of the political winds blowing. Similar thing happened after Sandy Hook, then riots, then this election results.. and on and on and on. It'll happen again the next time political fear is at its maximum level. This is the nature of the beast with the ammo supply vs. demand. Feeding into the hysteria makes it worse, not better.

7 people? That's awesome, always happy to hear more people get into the hobby. I know 3 myself after having dragged them all through the process here in MA from start to finish.

This is all economics. IF these 8 million new gun owners cause a permanent parallel shift in demand, the ammo companies will eventually follow with a permanent shift in supply. Else they'd be losing money.
I don't believe manufacturers incresed pricing after Sandy Hook. What I saw was opportunistic dealers gouging during Sandy Hook on their exhisting inventories. Here's a example. A local dealer called and asked if I had anything I wanted to sell. I had a NIB cheapy AR that I had second thoughts about and 2000 rounds of steel cased .223, that I got in a trade deal for peanuts. I paid $650.00 for the rifles and pennies for the ammo. When I got to the shop, the lot was full of cars that had never been there before. In the shop I had to walk sideways to get to the counter. people had wads of cash in their hands but everything had already been sold. The dealer knew what I had paid for the rifle since I got it from him. He said what do want for it. I said I dont know. He held it up and said I have one AR here for $1450.00. The first guy to put money in his hand, got the AR. He asked if I brought ammo and I said yes, 2000 rounds, all steel cased junk, in 250 round boxes. before I could get it all in the shop, it was all sold for a dollar per round. The dealer took 10%. This is a good example of what I saw after Sandy hook. I had about $750.00 invested in the inventory and walked out with about $3100.00, before I even knew what had happened. Customers were asking me to go home and bring back more.

lol, yeah, and I'm sure it's the copper prices & not the massive spike in demand coupled with the price gouging that is occurring.
I don’t know what to believe. I know Natchez shooters supply had Armscor 9mm today for 31 cpr. And they’ve had other 9mm sub 40 cpr over the last few months. They seem to be the only vendor not charging what TSUSA and many other vendors are charging. Depends on the brand and caliber. All of their 223 ammo is 70+ cpr. But some brands of 9mm are 55+ cpr and some are 31 cpr🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't believe manufacturers incresed pricing after Sandy Hook. What I saw was opportunistic dealers gouging during Sandy Hook on their exhisting inventories. Here's a example. A local dealer called and asked if I had anything I wanted to sell. I had a NIB cheapy AR that I had second thoughts about and 2000 rounds of steel cased .223, that I got in a trade deal for peanuts. I paid $650.00 for the rifles and pennies for the ammo. When I got to the shop, the lot was full of cars that had never been there before. In the shop I had to walk sideways to get to the counter. people had wads of cash in their hands but everything had already been sold. The dealer knew what I had paid for the rifle since I got it from him. He said what do want for it. I said I dont know. He held it up and said I have one AR here for $1450.00. The first guy to put money in his hand, got the AR. He asked if I brought ammo and I said yes, 2000 rounds, all steel cased junk, in 250 round boxes. before I could get it all in the shop, it was all sold for a dollar per round. The dealer took 10%. This is a good example of what I saw after Sandy hook. I had about $750.00 invested in the inventory and walked out with about $3100.00, before I even knew what had happened. Customers were asking me to go home and bring back more.

Price gouging and a spike in demand from political panic drove the prices up after Sandy Hook. Which is what I said. Thanks.

And if people stopped panic buying all that they could at these price gouge levels, the market would magically revert back to normal. But that's too logical. Full panic.

I don’t know what to believe. I know Natchez shooters supply had Armscor 9mm today for 31 cpr. And they’ve had other 9mm sub 40 cpr over the last few months. They seem to be the only vendor not charging what TSUSA and many other vendors are charging. Depends on the brand and caliber. All of their 223 ammo is 70+ cpr. But some brands of 9mm are 55+ cpr and some are 31 cpr🤷🏻‍♂️
Armscor 9mm was 16cpr on TSUSA before all this, just for a price reference

Again, let me reiterate. It’s not solely a supply and demand issue as well as price gouging. There is real inflation across all consumer products, bullets included.

Again, let me reiterate. It’s not solely a supply and demand issue as well as price gouging. There is real inflation across all consumer products, bullets included.

Sure, you can argue semantics. Here, in reality, the vast majority of the price increase is due to price gouging and hoarding. Just like every other political panic. Your argument loses all credibility when you go back & recognize that every time prices spike like this it coincides with political fear & panic. Pretending prices spiked during Sandy Hook & right now is because of raw material costs is laughably devoid of reality given the political climate that was also transpiring.

Also, there is no broad inflation, so saying "all consumer products" is experiencing inflation is factually inaccurate. Feel free to go look at all the inflationary data (PCE, CPI, or most other inflationary measure), read the Federal Reserve minutes from the past several meetings, or find one of the plethora of Jerome Powell's own statements during the past several months.

There are pockets of inflation (some services, some commodities, etc), but there is no broad inflation.

Last edited:
If that were the case, why are people still buying? Nobody is forcing them to reach into their wallets.
The demand for ammo is epic. Don't kid yourself.

Thanks for proving my point. Do you not know what price gouging and hoarding are?

Back
Top Bottom