Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I’m curious whether the loads for the Nosler and Hornady from Creedmoor Sports are very accurate and precise loads

I don't recall running anything through my rifle from either Nosler or Hornady that had me going WTF? RPR in this case.

Rather, they've done better in many cases than my hand loads even though they were showing greater SD and ES. I've tried a bunch of the different Hornady's including the Hunter and all have been pretty good. Hornady out to 600 all day. Hand loads to ~1K and would suspect the branded ammo would be fine, too. Sensitivity, for groups, seems more aligned to the monkey than the ammo in my case.

Bulk packs, don't know. Sitting on the shelf. Are you thinking they are seconds, getting knocked around, or something?

Bulk packs, don't know. Sitting on the shelf. Are you thinking they are seconds, getting knocked around, or something?
Not sure. Maybe the bulk packs are produced faster with less quality control. I see the American Gunner packs as range fodder. I haven’t spent enough time with any distance greater than 100 yds which is a serious dereliction of my duty to prove the efficacy of the 6.5 stock I currently own. I’m also only running a Savage model 11.

Not sure. Maybe the bulk packs are produced faster with less quality control. I see the American Gunner packs as range fodder. I haven’t spent enough time with any distance greater than 100 yds which is a serious dereliction of my duty to prove the efficacy of the 6.5 stock I currently own. I’m also only running a Savage model 11.
If you want to feel confident in Hornady I can get you a box of magtech [laugh]

Great Road Firearms used to order cases of it from TSUSA too, so I knew if I got an order in I could drive over and get a few more boxes from them a day later
That’s pretty much the cheapest 6.5 I’ve ever seen. I’ve got Federal Fusion, Federal Terminal Ascent, S&B soft points, S&B tactical, Magtech, Hornady ELD, Hornady American Gunner, and the CMP Nosler on order.

That’s pretty much the cheapest 6.5 I’ve ever seen. I’ve got Federal Fusion, Federal Terminal Ascent, S&B soft points, S&B tactical, Magtech, Hornady ELD, Hornady American Gunner, and the CMP Nosler on order.
Crazy to think its cheaper to shoot that than buy new 9mm

I see the American Gunner packs as range fodder.
I ran some of that when it first came out, non-bulk. It seemed fine. Similarly, I generally use that for messing around simply because it's cheaper. I was looking around and I thought I had some data but can't seem to find it at the moment.

I haven’t spent enough time with anything greater than 100 yds which is a serious dereliction of my duty to prove the efficacy of the stock I currently own.

efficacy -- luv it :D .

It's a real PITA in this state. I wish Grandby would send us some good news.

200 yards is easier to read but other than procyclic, epicyclic ... precession or whatever that thing is, I'm thinking that if you and your ammo are relatively consistent at 100 you'll likely be consistent beyond that until you have to deal with the things that can make LD a challenge. Perhaps 500+ yards. Wind. Being able to see the target, etc 😄

Unless you're shooting all ragged groups ... then I need to get some training from you.

I'd be interested in how the Nosler works for you, especially past 800 yards.

Is brown bear .223 any good?
From what I’ve seen with copious reviews a lot more shooters like it than hate it. I have a few cases on the shelf that I’ve not had a chance to shoot yet as I’m still blowing through the RSA .223.

From what I’ve seen with copious reviews a lot more shooters like it than hate it. I have a few cases on the shelf that I’ve not had a chance to shoot yet as I’m still blowing through the RSA .223.
Thanks, I'll probably go with some of the CMP since I dont have a ton of match ammo lying around

Thanks, I'll probably go with some of the CMP since I dont have a ton of match ammo lying around
Same for me. I don’t need any more range grade. I’m still waiting for the Federal Sierra 77gr, Hornady 77gr, Creedmoor 68gr, and Creedmoor 5.56 75gr. For me that’s more than enough match grade stuff.

Has anyone else found the RIO 12 ga to run dirty? I was using Winchester HV target loads without issue and a friend let me shoot a box of Rio. The ejectors stopped launching the spent cases well before I finished the box. Never had that happen with the Winchester shells, even after several boxes.

Has anyone else found the RIO 12 ga to run dirty? I was using Winchester HV target loads without issue and a friend let me shoot a box of Rio. The ejectors stopped launching the spent cases well before I finished the box. Never had that happen with the Winchester shells, even after several boxes.
I almost exclusively run Rio in my 1100 without issue. They are cleaner than my reloads FWIW.

They jamb in my maverick 88 though, I think the unfired OAL is just a hair too short.

52 cpr 9mm for free staters. Shipping is $17 to NH...
Amazing this is still in stock. People without free state friends really should set up an account with the UPS store in Salem NH. Free account but $5 per package to be held. Includes FedEx packages too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom