• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

We should start a max 9mm Cost Pool...
Generic 115gn practice ammo like WWB or Rem UMC, per 1000-rd case.
Closest without going over.
Pool ends November 26, 2020.

I've got $621 per case, or 62 cents a round...

I'll stake out the "it's already as bad as it's going to get" position just because someone has to. 36 cpr.

We should start a max 9mm Cost Pool...
Generic 115gn practice ammo like WWB or Rem UMC, per 1000-rd case.
Closest without going over.
Pool ends November 26, 2020.

I've got $621 per case, or 62 cents a round...

It will never get that high, it will simply be gone/rationed, based on past experience. Yeah, some yahoo will put cases on gunbroker for $600, but that doesn't mean someone will
actually pay it on the reg. I remember after sandy hook there were cases of shit like Q3131A 5.56 on gunbroker for like $600-700, but only god knows if someone was dumb enough to pay
that much for it.

It will never get that high, it will simply be gone/rationed, based on past experience. Yeah, some yahoo will put cases on gunbroker for $600, but that doesn't mean someone will
actually pay it on the reg. I remember after sandy hook there were cases of shit like Q3131A 5.56 on gunbroker for like $600-700, but only god knows if someone was dumb enough to pay
that much for it.

People with no ammo paid it. To some, price is not a factor......having the stuff in magazines is all that counts.

Real "gun culture" people don't buy anything during panic times.

People with no ammo paid it. To some, price is not a factor......having the stuff in magazines is all that counts.

Real "gun culture" people don't buy anything during panic times.
I guarantee you anybody that paid that much for 556 never even put it into the magazine. It's still sitting in their closet collecting dust in the original cardboard box it came in. Right next to the unfired $2200 bushmaster they bought. After seeing what I've seen, I would guess that an easy 40% of panic buyers never end up really using any of their stuff... or even getting close to using it...

if I had any idea ammo was going to go this nuts I would have bought a lot more. if it ever goes back down like it was 6 months ago I will blow out a knee dragging the cases down the cellar stairs. wife is shooting boxes like they are free.
I f***ed up in December by not listening to my gut when I started hearing this Corona crap... at least I'm not too far behind the curve, but I would have preferred a reserve of like 12000 rounds of 9mm or something, a number which, before March, would have been trivially easy to hit.

If you are spending the money to get a nice gun that can shoot 50 BMG, you have to reload. Or you just have a lot of disposable income.

I picked up some a few years back. It was about $2.60/round on TargetSports at that time. Even at that price 100 rounds costs $260 bucks.

I limit what I take to the range. Because everyone wants to try it. If I only have 10 rounds it helps minimize the financial hit...

:)

I f***ed up in December by not listening to my gut when I started hearing this Corona crap... at least I'm not too far behind the curve, but I would have preferred a reserve of like 12000 rounds of 9mm or something, a number which, before March, would have been trivially easy to hit.
I got the same tingle and picked up 8k of GECO 9mm at pre-covid pricing to lay on the older and much deeper stack... and I rarely shoot 9mm.
I'm a .40 S&W man... [rofl2]

I'm in the same boat. Picked up a few cases in late Feb before things took a hit, but it being an election year should have been enough of a reason to snag a lot more.

I think that most of us that are ordering ammo to are doing so just to keep shooting without having to dip into reserves. I'd be fine for quite a while with what I have stored up, but it's tough to justify dipping into reserves especially when it's unclear when if COVID/BLM/Post-Election forces will normalize. That said, outside of one or two friends, everyone I know that shoots keeps like one to two boxes max.

We used to have ammo group buys, is that a thing of the past?
Even if you could get one together, I don’t think there’s really much out there at the moment to buy. I imagine manufacturers / distributors are too busy trying to fulfill high volume orders to established customers to worry about a one off order to someone random.

That said, I’d be down for one once things settled down and the prices were more reasonable.

I picked up some a few years back. It was about $2.60/round on TargetSports at that time. Even at that price 100 rounds costs $260 bucks.

I limit what I take to the range. Because everyone wants to try it. If I only have 10 rounds it helps minimize the financial hit...

:)

Yup, .50bmg used to be $1.00/rd when I bought my rifle. I loaded up on it when I used pass by AmmunitionStore.com in Ohio in my travels. Prices spiked up for a while but came down some.

I've reloaded much of what I've fired but still have components to work with. Powder used to be $56.00 for an 8lb jug and fmj projos @ .60 each. The last bmg primers I bought were .10cents. Those were the days. [smile]

Even if you could get one together, I don’t think there’s really much out there at the moment to buy. I imagine manufacturers / distributors are too busy trying to fulfill high volume orders to established customers to worry about a one off order to someone random.

That said, I’d be down for one once things settled down and the prices were more reasonable.
It doesn't need to be one off.

Let's say you collect $10K through a group buy, you go to a high volume gun store, and you ask them to add $10K worth of ammo to their order.

Without being a dealer, I will assume this also helps the FFL in several ways:

- They are buying more, making them a more valuable customer.to the distributor.
- The extra money might get them a discount on their order.
- It brings more foot traffic to the business.

It would need to be a simple buy. Pick one brand, one bullet weight/type and order. If you like it, you can join, of you dont, too bad. If people start picking what they want, you end up with 10 kinds of 9mm.

It doesn't need to be one off.

Let's say you collect $10K through a group buy, you go to a high volume gun store, and you ask them to add $10K worth of ammo to their order.

Without being a dealer, I will assume this also.helps the FFL in several ways:

- They are buying more, making them a more valuable customer.to the distributor.
- The extra money might get them a discount on their order.
- It brings more foot traffic to the business.
I would imagine stores are already ordering as much as they can at the moment, and have no issue moving it at a higher profit to consumers directly than to a group buy.

My wholesalers are dry. I get supply and demand drives prices but whats astonishing to me is there is NOTHING to buy.

I would imagine stores are already ordering as much as they can at the moment, and have no issue moving it at a higher profit to consumers directly than to a group buy.
If you think an FFL will not participate, then good luck with an ammo group buy.

If you think an FFL will not participate, then good luck with an ammo group buy.
I think you may want to read what I wrote again. It doesn’t seem like stores can keep ammo in stock as it is, I don’t see a) how shops could magically order more or b) why they would be incentivized to sell what they can get in at a discount right now. As I said, once demand and prices come down it’s a different story, but I don’t think you’re going to get a group buy any time soon.

That said, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong and get a few cases of super cheap 9mm ammo next week.

What’s a good price for decent range .223 / .556 these days?

Putting the finishing touches on my first ar build. Looks like I should have bought ammo back when I started the build.

Anything under .40/rd. is hard to come by at this point. That’s what I just paid. I was buying what I just bought for .29/rd. Pre-rona. *sigh*

I need more ammo can locks from Buggin. Great guy, where the hell is he? I tried searching....

Back
Top Bottom