• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Target Sports is amazing. Just by chance my Prime membership mystery ammo box showed up today and I was giddy as a schoolgirl. Now I read they've opened up shipping back to Mass...best Xmas presents there could be lol
What's the deal with that? They give you little sample packs?

The Town Fair Tire decision prohibited Massachusetts from trying to get Town Fair from collecting sales tax from Mass residents.

When Healey takes TSUSA to court, they'll demand all of their sales records as part of the discovery process. Once they have that, I believe they'll cross reference those sales to use tax disclosures on tax returns filed.

They'll see that swatgig bought $1000 worth of ammo from TSUSA, then they'll see that swatgig did not disclose $1000 in out of state purchases in his Tax return (form 1). Now they come after swatgig for tax evasion, making me and all my friends fear buying from TSUSA again.

Like 42 says worst case they're just going to send you a bill.

If I was betting though, it ain't happening at all.

I'll give you incompetent, and I've personally gone through a number of their "mistakes", but mostly they're just gov drones doing their jobs.

If you owe them a lot of money they are like pit vipers compared to the IRS. IRS is soft and cuddly. With MDOR when I owed them a few K the first letter was literally "agree to this or we're garnishing your wages".

The other fun thing is if you ever open a retail outfit and you decide to actually file your sales tax return with those quarterly? coupons don't just stop filing the coupons... they get pretty uppity even if your store is closed for a
month.

-Mike

Like 42 says worst case they're just going to send you a bill.

If I was betting though, it ain't happening at all.

If you owe them a lot of money they are like pit vipers compared to the IRS. IRS is soft and cuddly. With MDOR when I owed them a few K the first letter was literally "agree to this or we're garnishing your wages".

The other fun thing is if you ever open a retail outfit and you decide to actually file your sales tax return with those quarterly? coupons don't just stop filing the coupons... they get pretty uppity even if your store is closed for a
month.

-Mike

The "Safe Harbor" is something that shouldn't be overlooked when you do your MA Income Tax. You may not like giving them their pound of flesh but this can make it somewhat palatable. Kinda like insurance.

SAFE HARBOR
"For over a decade, the Massachusetts state income tax return has included a line to report use tax on items purchased out-of-state, online, and by mail and phone order. Yet the department recognizes that many people “couldn’t be bothered tracking down receipts….” Ouch.

For such (lazy?) people, “DOR has created a ‘safe harbor’ amount of use tax you can report that’s based on your Massachusetts adjusted gross income.” Even better, “DOR’s online filing system, WebFile for Income, will even calculate it for you (as will most tax preparation software).”

If you use safe harbor, “DOR can’t assess you more after an audit than the amount of use tax you paid under the safe harbor schedule.” The amount is not crippling. Folks with an adjusted gross income of $40,001 to $60,000 would pay $31 in use tax liability for the year."

Would those that are still not accepting COMM2A's, the moderator's and Admin's statements that this is a GOOD thing, please call Target Sports for themselves and ask if they want potential customers to be kept in the dark?

If you get an answer like, "Oh HECK! What have we done?! Please ask those NES people to stop posting about us!" then by all means come back and say that.

Otherwise you're just "that" guy at the range that gives dirty looks when you load more than 5 rounds in a 10 round mag and calls the club on you if you pull out a standard capacity mag.

Would those that are still not accepting COMM2A's, the moderator's and Admin's statements that this is a GOOD thing, please call Target Sports for themselves and ask if they want potential customers to be kept in the dark?

If you get an answer like, "Oh HECK! What have we done?! Please ask those NES people to stop posting about us!" then by all means come back and say that.

Otherwise you're just "that" guy at the range that gives dirty looks when you load more than 5 rounds in a 10 round mag and calls the club on you if you pull out a standard capacity mag.
This is a good point. Through a combination of lack of effort and being too busy to bother, I had not discovered this vendor. Now, I have.

Only have to stall the non payment of those taxes for 3 years. That's as far as they go back on for personal income taxes.
Then it's statute of limitations time.

The Town Fair Tire decision prohibited Massachusetts from trying to get Town Fair from collecting sales tax from Mass residents. When Healey takes TSUSA to court, they'll demand all of their sales records as part of the discovery process. .

Wait, didn't Town Fair prevail in not having to give up that information?

The "Safe Harbor" is something that shouldn't be overlooked when you do your MA Income Tax. You may not like giving them their pound of flesh but this can make it somewhat palatable. Kinda like insurance.

SAFE HARBOR
"For over a decade, the Massachusetts state income tax return has included a line to report use tax on items purchased out-of-state, online, and by mail and phone order. Yet the department recognizes that many people “couldn’t be bothered tracking down receipts….” Ouch.

For such (lazy?) people, “DOR has created a ‘safe harbor’ amount of use tax you can report that’s based on your Massachusetts adjusted gross income.” Even better, “DOR’s online filing system, WebFile for Income, will even calculate it for you (as will most tax preparation software).”

If you use safe harbor, “DOR can’t assess you more after an audit than the amount of use tax you paid under the safe harbor schedule.” The amount is not crippling. Folks with an adjusted gross income of $40,001 to $60,000 would pay $31 in use tax liability for the year."

This is very tempting. I live right on the border and I DO NOT keep receipts, so if I just buy absolutely everything (with per purchase totals less than $1k) in NH I can pay only .000625 x AGI in sales tax and they can't make me pay more?

Wait, didn't Town Fair prevail in not having to give up that information?

They did, but IIRC NH also passed a law as a "future prophylactic" kind of measure, that protected its own businesses and ensured that they had no obligation to report this information to "foreign state" revenue collectors...

-Mike

TSUSA is slammed. They are trying to keep up with California sales before the deadline and now the MA GenPop. Set expectations accordingly.

Just a week and a half ago you could call them and have a nice lady pickup on the first ring. They deserve all the good business they can get.

I can't even get a hold of these folks. No answer to e mail and if I call, they say leave a message, but the inbox is full.
I hear ya. I placed the largest order I've ever placed with them and then called to thank them. No answer at any extension and every voicemail box in the company is full.
Usually they are good. The only other time I had a problem with them was the great ammo rush of 2008. A whole lot of BS and tap dancing, ultimately they had to admit the "In Stock" item they charged me for was not in stock and refunded my money.
I suspect Royal is right, between the last minute California orders and Christmas they must be buried. I'm hoping the ammo I ordered on Dec. 15th arrives by January 15th. After that I may start to worry.

I can't believe this thread is still up and openly visible. when Mass starts trying to implement what they are doing in California
none of us should act surprised or outraged.

I just dropped a "Merry Christmas to me" order and joined "Prime" at the same time. How big? Damn near paid for the "Prime" mermbership! Added a nice little thank you note as well:
"Thank you, AGAIN, for standing up to the MA AG and her BS interpretation of the US Constitution and the Commerce Clause. You have made a customer FOR LIFE!"

If I get my ammo by Valentine's Day I'll be happy. At the rate I'm shooting these days Trump will be completing his second term by the time I run out, so I'm not really in a rush...

Now:

Absolutely THIS^^^^^

I can't believe this thread is still up and openly visible. when Mass starts trying to implement what they are doing in California
none of us should act surprised or outraged.
Dude, get over it...

I filed the safe harbor several years during the time when I was ordering a lot from Amazon and they didn't collect sales tax.

Now Amazon collects sales tax and the safe harbor is much more than my use tax liability, which I estimate is now 0 as far as I can recall.

I don't think it's necessary to flood TSUSA with orders right now in order to show your appreciation. What's important is what MA consumers do to show our love three, six, and nine months down the road. I'll probably set up my account over the holidays and start ording sometime in late winter. I don't buy much ammo, but it's worth nothing that they sell components and lots of other firearms related stuff.

I also think that, even in a Massachusetts court, the AG's position vis-a-vis out of state vendors is dramatically weakened once the vendor takes reasonable measures to ensure that their customer is legally permitted to possess ammunition. The law is poorly written and there is no way that an out of state vendor can get a Massachusetts license. It's just not avaible and they don't sell IN Massachusetts. BTW, as written, the law prevents Massachusetts businesses with an ammo sales license to operate an on-line commerce enterprise and sell to people in other states. MA is effectively regulating interstate commerce.

There's practically zero chance that the AG or anyone else will target consumers over this. The AG's teeth come via chap 93A, consumer protection, not chap 140. i.e. it is an 'unfair and deceptive' business practice to sell ammunition to MA residents. Just like with the AG's handgun regs and the AWB, it's all about intimidating businesses into abstaining from the conduct that the AG thinks shouldn't be permitted. That simply doesn't translate to consumers. That's also the reason I don't think that individuals are going to be prosecuted based upon the the AG's 7/20 enforcement notice, even if they acquire or transfer so-called AWs after that date.

Last edited:

SAFE HARBOR

Given that you sound like you know what you are talking about I'll ask about the next few tax brackets.
It sure sounds like paying a dime to them also prevents them from attacking.

$31 bucks is nothing when living close to the boarder.

Given that you sound like you know what you are talking about I'll ask about the next few tax brackets.
It sure sounds like paying a dime to them also prevents them from attacking.

$31 bucks is nothing when living close to the boarder.
Over $100K income, multiply income by .000625 and thats the safe harbor number... $200K income = $125 safe harbor or in other words, about the MA use tax (it's not a sales tax...) on $2000 in out of state purchases.

Over $100K income, multiply income by .000625 and thats the safe harbor number... $200K income = $125 safe harbor or in other words, about the MA use tax (it's not a sales tax...) on $2000 in out of state purchases.
Thank you.

New accountant this year. My last one who sadly passed away was very aggressive and i never looked at what he did.
Good time to start paying attention.

There's practically zero chance that the AG or anyone else will target consumers over this.
The legal theory would have to be conspiracy to commit an unfair and deceptive consumer practice against one's self.

Back
Top Bottom