Taking gun to florida

2 part question: I want to take my 9mm to Florida, for now, I'll fly, so should I get Utah or Florida gun permit.......in a few years, I'll drive, which would be better if I drove ?

I don't think Utah non-res CCW permit is valid in FL. Also, if you drive and have Utah non-res permit, once you get out of New England, you're in good shape except for South Carolina as a non-resident, you can certainly transport but not CC.

Last edited:
I don't think Utah non-res CCW permit is valid in FL. Also, if you drive and have Utah non-res permit, once you get out of New England, you're in good shape except for South Carolina as a non-resident, you can certainly transport but not CC.

Wellll, to be technical, NJ isn't part of New England, so he would have to store according to FOPA going through NJ (and NY).

I may be wrong, I'm thinking back about 2 yrs to a friend who retired and moved to FLA, but during his process and getting a FLA permit I believe they told him that a person must reside in the state at least part time to get a FLA permit (length of time I don't remember), but if I recall he also needed to get a FLA drivers Lic first (memory is shaky on this, but may at least guide you in the right direction for research).

Last edited:
I may be wrong, I'm thinking back about 2 yrs to a friend who retired and moved to FLA, but during his process and getting a FLA permit I believe they told him that a person must reside in the state at least part time to get a FLA permit (length of time I don't remember), but if I recall he also needed to get a FLA drivers Lic first (memory is shaky on this, but may at least guide you in the right direction for research).

All of that is categorically false. Who told him that pile of shit information?

I'm the OP.....this thread isn't a "parody" although the timing does suck. The ft. Lauderdale incident did get me wondering how to get my weapon down there and how to have it legally while in Florida for 2-3 months. I think Florida has a non-resident pistol permit that you can get online and by mail.

Wellll, to be technical, NJ isn't part of New England, so he would have to store according to FOPA going through NJ (and NY).

And...then hope for the best.

No. Don't spread Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Its no problem if you transport per FOPA safe passage clause.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I'm the OP.....this thread isn't a "parody" although the timing does suck. The ft. Lauderdale incident did get me wondering how to get my weapon down there and how to have it legally while in Florida for 2-3 months. I think Florida has a non-resident pistol permit that you can get online and by mail.

Yes. Its a piece of cake. You can download the form online. Google it, its easy to find.

Don't let what happened in Orlando dissuade you from bringing a gun to FL. Go to your airline's website and follow the instructions.

Contrary to what you might think, Logan is EASY. As is Bradley.

If you are going down soon, I would be hesitant to apply for a non-res permit now. They might send it to you in MA and you would never get it.

If you are spending a couple of months down thiere, then you ARE A RESIDENT of the state for the purpose of purchasing a gun. You should get a FL RESIDENT license while you are down there.

Even if you don't get a resident license, you are a resident while you make a home there. You can buy guns in Florida without any kind of carry license. All you need is your MA drivers license and something that proves you are staying there for the winter. A lease, or ideally a utility or tax bill. I know one person who registered one car down there just so he'd have a government document showing him as a FL resident.

Don

Citation: https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...tate-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase

Last edited:
South Carolina doesn't give out non resident permits to non property owners, but a loaded handgun in a vehicle is fine as long as it is "secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance"

All of that is categorically false. Who told him that pile of shit information?

Ok, understood. My memory was shaky on it to begin with so I'll take the hit for posting it. I thought I was repeating accurately what he had told us but clearly not so much.

OP, my apologies for posting bad info. Best of luck and I'll step back on this one and learn something myself.

Ok, understood. My memory was shaky on it to begin with so I'll take the hit for posting it. I thought I was repeating accurately what he had told us but clearly not so much.

OP, my apologies for posting bad info. Best of luck and I'll step back on this one and learn something myself.

No no, no worries. I'm just curious who told him. A firearm instructor? Gun store employee?

If the instructor for my Utah/Florida class is to be believed, and he did seem to know what he was talking about. The Utah non-res is NOT good in FL. The only difference between the Utah only class and the Utah/FL class was the live-fire required for FL. FL also requires a permit in your home state where Utah does not, probably not an issue.

If the instructor for my Utah/Florida class is to be believed, and he did seem to know what he was talking about. The Utah non-res is NOT good in FL. The only difference between the Utah only class and the Utah/FL class was the live-fire required for FL. FL also requires a permit in your home state where Utah does not, probably not an issue.

FL only honors RESIDENT permits (for states that they honor), so if you're a MA resident, you'll need to get a FL CWP to carry there. FL does not require you to have a home state permit to obtain a FL CWP. FL residents and non-residents apply the same way.

Last edited:
The only difference between the Utah only class and the Utah/FL class was the live-fire required for FL
The other difference is that UT requires a course for a UT certified instructor (one needs to travel to UT to get that certification). FL accepts a wide variety of courses, including the NRA ones.

Get the Florida non resident permit. It's easy to do via mail
There is no difference between a FL resident and non-resident permit: same permit; same form. Only difference is the holder's address.

The only difference between the Utah only class and the Utah/FL class was the live-fire required for FL. FL also requires a permit in your home state where Utah does not, probably not an issue.

Florida does not require you to have a permit in your home state, there is in fact no facility for entering that information on their mail-in application nor is it asked if you are applying in person. You simply need to fulfill their requirements, they do not care if your home state deems you worthy.

No no, no worries. I'm just curious who told him. A firearm instructor? Gun store employee?

Gist of it was he owned property there, retiring and moving from MA. He was telling me about some hassle getting licensed and was told he needed to live there more than 30 days or something per year, but, we were discussing both FA's and M/V's also, as I remember him being worried about having two DL's at the same time during his move period, so my confusion could be with him getting a DL and not a FA Lic.

This will make more sense than that mess I just posted above. "I can't brain today. I have the dumb."

It was 2 yrs ago and I've probably only succeeded in confusing you more, I should know better at my age to verify before posting on a subject like that.

Last edited:
I don't know about living there 30 days to qualify, but I lived in FL and much of "the system" is built around the concept of transient residents.

For example, when I was there FL offered a "valid in FL only" drivers license so snowbirds there for longer than the time required to get an in-state license could do so without surrendering their summer state license. I believe federal regulations have discontinued this practice.

Another aspect of the transient culture is, at the time I lived there (and maybe even now), it was necessary to place a deposit to get electric service (waived in some cases after a credit check or utility reference). I've never heard of a utility deposit in NE except when a no-pay customer is reconnected.

Ft. Lauderdale fallout? Delta implements new procedures for picking up checked bags with firearms.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#ixzz4d1Kcoje0

That's actually not a bad thing at all, even for us as travelers with guns. It actually helps to ensure that someone won't accidentally (or purposefully) grab your bag off the carousel, which is problematic enough in a sea of black bags, but even more so if you have your gun in there. I'm just glad to read that it isn't some extra retarded stuff that would make bringing a gun too much of a hassle to bother.

That's actually not a bad thing at all, even for us as travelers with guns. It actually helps to ensure that someone won't accidentally (or purposefully) grab your bag off the carousel, which is problematic enough in a sea of black bags, but even more so if you have your gun in there. I'm just glad to read that it isn't some extra retarded stuff that would make bringing a gun too much of a hassle to bother.

The problem is that by adding even more labels to thebag, you make your firearm even more susceptible to theft from baggage handlers. Plus, what exactly is the guy doing the ID check really going to accomplish in the way of safety?

They stopped putting the orange tags on the outside years ago because guns kept disappearing. If they cared, they could just transmit the unique bar code on that suitcase to the one person in FL with the authority to handle it and let him/her deal with it.

Plus, what exactly is the guy doing the ID check really going to accomplish in the way of safety?

Reduce the chances of theft.

I found my bag in Toronto in a LONG line line of luggage being collected by an elderly Chinese guy for his megaclan that was traveling together. I'm convinced it was an accident, but I think my changes of getting the gun back if he got to his hotel room and opened the luggage would be slim.

Back
Top Bottom