Tactical/Red Dot scope for AK/WASR

I had looked in some of the forums posts on scopes but didn't really get the answer I was looking for. Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent tactical/red dot scope for an AK or AK clone platform? I've been looking at some on cabelas and checking the reviews and whatnot but have not really determined too much from that. I'd be looking for a relatively inexpensive one but one that is still decent quality for the money. Maybe $100-$200 or so. I wouldn't want to have to re-zero it after every 10 shots basically. I ordered a Russian made quick release side mount for my WASR so that is what it will be mounted on.

I tried an NcStar. Once mounted it could not be taken off without destroying it because the tiny little "teeth" (for lack of a better term) strip very easily.

I then tried a simmons. It had 90 degree cut on the area that the NcStar had "teeth" so it was much better in that respect HOWEVER the light dimmed every time I fired the gun. My guess is that it wasn't meant to handle the recoil of the AK (Probably meant for a 22 but not marked as such).

So that doesn't help you with what you should buy but at least it tells you what NOT to buy.

Oh and as for zeroing them, I believe I recall both of them could get to zero but they were both VERY close to the end of their abilities. In fact I think one of them had it's windage adjustment turned all the way to the very end.... it could not be clicked any further.

This BTW was while using an ultimak mount

The Russian Kobra red dots are the best. They're made for the Russian military and its what they use.
Other option is getting a low profile AK mount like the BP01 shown here. http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html
Its what I plan on putting on my Saiga shotgun once they are back in stock. As for scopes, I was thinking of going with something like an ATN holographic model. I hear good things about them and they won't break your wallet like the EOTech ones.

I have had C-More on mine for the last several years and never had a problem. The only time I adjust it is to dial it in for a specific distance at a match. You can get the rail way model with a standard switch that will go right on to your AK rail for 209.00 from Dillon.

something like an ATN holographic model. I hear good things about them and they won't break your wallet like the EOTech ones.

I was specifically told to avoid the ATN for use on anything that could be bumped around or have significant recoil. Apparently this is where the EOTech mechanics do make it worth the $$.

This isn't personal experience, just what I've been told from those that have been there and done that. Probably be fine if you treat it well on on AK, but it's not a battle sight.

Back
Top Bottom