T&G your opinion

I went to a Boston Public School. If you arm the teachers with firearms you create a situation that makes that teacher a target to have that firearm stolen by some gang member/drug dealer.

Bad argument.

Why would a student that was a gang member or drug dealer steal a firearm from a teacher (and subsequently have the police after him) when he can easily obtain one anonymously on the street?

Is anyone actually READING the article that accompanied the poll?

There's a teacher in Oregon who's been threatened by her husband who wants the right to be armed during the day if her ex comes onto school grounds.

sksguns, are you saying that by being a teacher, they give up the right to bear arms???? 'Cause that's sure what it sounds like to me.

Do you think a high school teacher should be allowed to be armed with a handgun in class?
Yes 49.5%
No 50.5%
Total votes: 273

lol...no.

The point I'm trying to make is...

Thugs don't want to get caught. Over powering a teacher and taking his or her gun is leaving a ton of witnesses. They will be caught. If they are at the point where they don't care about getting caught and they are going to murder any ways they need to be stopped. If they have made that decision they will get a gun else where if the teachers are not carrying. Teachers would be carrying concealed and not everyone would have a gun. Only a few would choose to do so.

People are crazy, always have been, always will be. Paying for armed guards at school is stupid at best.

I dont think this has anything to do with teachers acting like security it has to do with teachers having the same CCW rights as everyone else, if they were allowed to carry you should not know who was and who wasnt. If you want armed guards then fine but dont take away my rights.

Is anyone actually READING the article that accompanied the poll?

There's a teacher in Oregon who's been threatened by her husband who wants the right to be armed during the day if her ex comes onto school grounds.

sksguns, are you saying that by being a teacher, they give up the right to bear arms???? 'Cause that's sure what it sounds like to me.

She can carry the gun. I have no desire for a teacher to get into a shootout with her ex while my kid is in the class. If he comes there to take her she should leave with him to protect the students.

If her ex is a threat there should be a mechanism in place to prevent him from gaining access to the premises. ie: Big Guys with guns.

All the talk about the school shootings was that nobody knew the shooter was a threat. Well, now you know so take the appropriate precautions.

They know her husband's name and what he looks like and more than likely where he lives. How much of a threat is the guy? Should he be in jail already? Does he want to wipe out the school or just her? How much would it take to post a cop at the school?

Anyone here not in law enforcement trained well enough with a firearm to protect a whole classroom or playground full of children?

So the guy walks to the class and pulls a gun as he walks through the door....what is she going to do? Get her keys and unlock her bottom desk drawer, pull out her purse, grab her gun and shoot him over the heads of all the students?

Just curious....

The point I'm trying to make is...

Thugs don't want to get caught. Over powering a teacher and taking his or her gun is leaving a ton of witnesses. They will be caught. If they are at the point where they don't care about getting caught and they are going to murder any ways they need to be stopped. If they have made that decision they will get a gun else where if the teachers are not carrying. Teachers would be carrying concealed and not everyone would have a gun. Only a few would choose to do so.

People are crazy, always have been, always will be. Paying for armed guards at school is stupid at best.

Why do you say paying for armed security is stupid? Do you think it wouldn't be any type of deterent? Wouldn't the student/thug/bg be less likely to overpower a trained person rather than a teacher who more than like wasn't trained for that situation?

I dont think this has anything to do with teachers acting like security it has to do with teachers having the same CCW rights as everyone else, if they were allowed to carry you should not know who was and who wasnt. If you want armed guards then fine but dont take away my rights.

Agreed....

But I don't work in a "gun free" zone and i can't carry at work. It's a company policy and we've discussed this in depth on other threads.

If she feels that threatened then why didn't she just shut up and carry? Would she rather be dead and not fired if something happened and she didn't have her gun or alive and fired if she did and succesfully used it?

Concealed carry doesn't just mean you shouldn't show anyone it also means you don't tell anyone.

PS....thank you for letting me have armed guards. [wink]

At one of my jobs, I just shut up and carried, figured I would take the consequences if it came to it.
One of my other jobs we had been broken into several times and I talked with my boss about it since I was the one who opened in the morning, they were okay with it.

Bad argument.

Why would a student that was a gang member or drug dealer steal a firearm from a teacher (and subsequently have the police after him) when he can easily obtain one anonymously on the street?

Why do BG's in Dorchester shoot people in front of a ton of witnesses? They don't care.

Guys beat the shit out of teachers in front of the class....why wouldn't they steal the gun?

Get a hall pass to go to the can...see the teacher before he/she sees you...nobody else in the hall....crack him in the head, knock him out..take the gun and hide it until the heat is off.

no big deal.

Pipes, knives, guns, ears bitten off.....sinks ripped off the wall and smashed on a guys head....

taking a gun from a teacher is nothing. At least not when I went to shool it wouldn't have been. and it would be nothing now.

52.3% Yes
47.7% No

302 total votes.

158 From someplace called Northeastshooters.com[wink]

Teachers, farmers, postal workers, garbadge collectors, secreteries, bartenders, bank tellers, train conductors (my personal plug) i.e. anyone who legally can own, should be allwoed to carry wherever and whenever, 24/7.

If we're only going to talk about known threats, then somebody give me the email address where I can buy a quality crystal ball. The unexpected is always just around the corner. I'd rather anticapte the need and have all options open to me, than be caught in a "I wish I had" situation.

Why do you say paying for armed security is stupid? Do you think it wouldn't be any type of deterent? Wouldn't the student/thug/bg be less likely to overpower a trained person rather than a teacher who more than like wasn't trained for that situation?

A trained person? Have you seen the typical security guard? I could over power 90% of them with my strong arm tied behind my back.

Assume the school knows about the restraining order (they do in OR, I heard an interview with Ms Katz). No doubt they have his picture. More and more schools lock their doors (though in a HS, enforcing exiting, and hence opening doors, is tougher).

That all said, the thug's best chance to attack the woman is when she is walking to or from the parking lot -- her best option if not allowed in school with the gun. The thug knows this. It's easy to park in a lot and wait, knowing she'll be defenseless.

If he knows she always carries, it makes no sense to stalk her to/in the school. He'll seek other options.

Guns Save Lives -- more by there deterence than by shoot-outs.

Public v. Private emplorer

There is a difference in the law. A private enterprise, has much better authority to disarm the poeple on their property than a local school board.

--

In OR, guns are _not_ banned on school property (as in MA) to people with carry permits. Though the thug with the restrainging order against him doesn't have a permit, others entering the school can lawfully carry there -- I'm sure they do so without incident.

The bad part of this case, is that the teacher who needs to defend herself, is not allowed or she will be fired.

Speaking of civil rights -- Say in the 50s south an enlightened school board hires a teacher from a non-white race. Say the local racists make threats. Should the teacher resign so as to "protect the children" from violence?

Why should this teacher give up her civil right to self-defense, be forced to give it up based on other's threats?

A trained person? Have you seen the typical security guard? I could over power 90% of them with my strong arm tied behind my back.

I'm not talking about the goofy idiot sitting behind the desk in the lobby where I work. I think a real solution is required for the security of our schools. A real security force that most normal people would think twice before screwing with them. You'll never deter all of them but those that do make an attempt at any wrong doing get their just due...

But if this woman has that much of a concern about her safety how can she effectively do her job? Every five seconds she thinks her ex is coing through that door.....don't you think that she is a bit pre-occupied? And she only said she fears him....what has he done so far? I didn't see anything like that in the article.

I guess we disagree.

IMO a teacher has the right to carry. It will never happen not as long as pacifist liberals have any say in it. [thinking]

Their solution is to ask for 2 million more dollars for security and spend $500K on security and keep the rest.

I guess we disagree.

IMO a teacher has the right to carry. It will never happen not as long as pacifist liberals have any say in it. [thinking]

Their solution is to ask for 2 million more dollars for security and spend $500K on security and keep the rest.

Why didn't she just carry and shut up about it?

I'm going to read the article again to see what I missed....

She can carry the gun. I have no desire for a teacher to get into a shootout with her ex while my kid is in the class. If he comes there to take her she should leave with him to protect the students.

WOW! Just wow!

They know her husband's name and what he looks like and more than likely where he lives. How much of a threat is the guy? Should he be in jail already? Does he want to wipe out the school or just her? How much would it take to post a cop at the school?

An extra 50-60 THOUSAND tax dollars a year!

Anyone here not in law enforcement trained well enough with a firearm to protect a whole classroom or playground full of children?

That's just funny! You should seriously take a look at the amount and quality of "training" that a LEO is given in the academy. It's laughable at best. And to answer your question, no, I can't, but I am MORE than capable of protecting myself, and loved ones. THAT'S all that matters to me when you get right down to it!

So the guy walks to the class and pulls a gun as he walks through the door....what is she going to do? Get her keys and unlock her bottom desk drawer, pull out her purse, grab her gun and shoot him over the heads of all the students?

Oh yeah, I forgot... She MUST be keeping it locked in a drawer in her pocket book, and not on her person. [rolleyes]

So I guess this answers our question. You really DON'T believe in the second ammendment...

Last edited:
Security guards in most places are paid $5-7/hr, relatively untrained even if armed and usually not the brightest bulb on the tree.

No school system is going to pay for a Blackwater type presence . . . costs too much money.

The job of the police is to chalk the outline, gather evidence and present it to he DA. All after the fact. Their job is NOT to prevent a crime from happening on an individual case (and upheld in many court cases).

Most teachers are extremely liberal and would wet their pants if they see a gun (NOTE: I said "most" not "all"), even if it was on their own belt! They certainly wouldn't use it even to protect themselves!

Allowing teachers who want to CCW to do so should go without saying, as a civil right.

--------------

As for what happens when a love-crazed individual encounters the person of their wrath? Just take a look at what happened in WI this weekend. I'm sure most that were killed had nothing to do with either person (ex-gf or her current lover) other than acquaintances/friends. People do stupid stuff and often times take it out on more then the subject of their wrath/affection.

Back
Top Bottom