T&G your opinion

That's fine as a last line of defense. I'd prefer the treained professional; to squelch the situation up front.

I would not deny anyone their second ammendment rights. I just don't see teachers as a first line of defense. I'd prefer a trained, professional to get the job done right and quick. No thought...no emotion...no hesitation...Identify the threat and eliminate said threat....bang done. Go have lunch and the kids can get back to learning if they've even been interupted.

The trained professionals waited outside while Cho killed the students at VT.
We hear more and more stories about trained professionals such as SWAT teams being used and they break into the wrong house and kill innocent people themselves.
The best person to protect ones self is ones self. As the saying goes when every second counts police are only minutes away.
As I said before infringements only benefit the criminal because they create an imbalance of power.

I would not deny anyone their second ammendment rights.
And yet that is exactly what you are advocating.

I just don't see teachers as a first line of defense. I'd prefer a trained, professional to get the job done right and quick. No thought...no emotion...no hesitation...Identify the threat and eliminate said threat....bang done. Go have lunch and the kids can get back to learning if they've even been interupted.

WTF are you talking about? This is about a teacher that wants to protect herself. Last line of defense? Isn't everyone automatically their own "last line of defense" regardless of whether or not they carry a gun?

This isn't a case of the teacher being expected to bodyguard kids, she wants to carry a gun to protect herself.

That's fine as a last line of defense. I'd prefer the treained professional; to squelch the situation up front.

I would not deny anyone their second ammendment rights. I just don't see teachers as a first line of defense. I'd prefer a trained, professional to get the job done right and quick. No thought...no emotion...no hesitation...Identify the threat and eliminate said threat....bang done. Go have lunch and the kids can get back to learning if they've even been interupted.

You have been reading too many back issues of Soldier of Fortune. They have a name for the human who can kill with no thought, emotion or hesitation: "psychopath".

I guess it all depends on how much value we put on our children's lives.

We all know the old saying...."you get what you pay for"....

Teacher's want to carry for personal protection then fine. They absolutely have the wrong mindset to use deadly force. Killing is not their primary calling. Teaching is. Oh, you might get one or two that can and will do it if they need to but I'd put money on it that the vast majority of teachers will not take a life even if it means saving 20.

But whatever.....

So exactly what mindset does a teacher have? Does the mindset of a software engineer, pharmacist or economist make them more qualified to use deadly force? I'll agree that most teachers wouldn't pull the trigger (or even reach for the gun) when it counts, but my personal experience is that neither would most people who like to think of themselves (and like even more to portray themselves to others) as stone killers. As for "trained professionals", the real ones never do it with "No thought...no emotion...no hesitation"; I'm guessing you've got them confused with the Imperial Storm Troopers in that nice white body armor and absolutely no hint of individuality. And you've also got the order backwards: the professionals are always the last line; the people who are actually on the scene when the attack starts always have been and always will be the first line. If they can't deal with it, the best that the professionals can do is show up afterwards, fill out the paperwork and possibly take out any goblins who haven't already been rendered inert by the "victims" or their own hand.

Ken

And yet that is exactly what you are advocating.

No I'm not.

WTF are you talking about? This is about a teacher that wants to protect herself. Last line of defense? Isn't everyone automatically their own "last line of defense" regardless of whether or not they carry a gun?

This isn't a case of the teacher being expected to bodyguard kids, she wants to carry a gun to protect herself.

Read the article. She said she wants to protect herself from her husband....(individual threat) or a Columbine style attack which would imply she needs to protect the entire classroom or perhaps even the school.

I'm not disagreeing that she or other teachers may have to be the last line of defense....I just prefer someone better trained and mentally capable and prepared to handle a situation should it arise be the primary line of defense when my child is involved.

I've met my children's teachers and my first thought is that they'd buckle under the pressure of a fender bender in a church parking lot in a sunday morning.

So exactly what mindset does a teacher have? Does the mindset of a software engineer, pharmacist or economist make them more qualified to use deadly force? I'll agree that most teachers wouldn't pull the trigger (or even reach for the gun) when it counts, but my personal experience is that neither would most people who like to think of themselves (and like even more to portray themselves to others) as stone killers. As for "trained professionals", the real ones never do it with "No thought...no emotion...no hesitation"; I'm guessing you've got them confused with the Imperial Storm Troopers in that nice white body armor and absolutely no hint of individuality. And you've also got the order backwards: the professionals are always the last line; the people who are actually on the scene when the attack starts always have been and always will be the first line. If they can't deal with it, the best that the professionals can do is show up afterwards, fill out the paperwork and possibly take out any goblins who haven't already been rendered inert by the "victims" or their own hand.

Ken

Then it is Storm Troopers we need but in a defensive mode. They need to constantly be on-site to deter the threat. Not show up after the fact. The only one who needs to show up after the fact is the chaulk line guy.

Seriously though.....how much would it cost to have a cop, one cop stand at each school during the school day? I mean he's either out on a speed trap or protecting the school. I'd prefer he/she be at the shool. They can write tickets later.

There are I think 7 public schools in my town and at least one private oine that I know of. The private school can pay for the detail.

I think it would be money well spent.

Then it is Storm Troopers we need but in a defensive mode. They need to constantly be on-site to deter the threat. Not show up after the fact. The only one who needs to show up after the fact is the chaulk line guy.

Seriously though.....how much would it cost to have a cop, one cop stand at each school during the school day? I mean he's either out on a speed trap or protecting the school. I'd prefer he/she be at the shool. They can write tickets later.

There are I think 7 public schools in my town and at least one private oine that I know of. The private school can pay for the detail.

I think it would be money well spent.

Sounds like a great idea, except that to be effective you'd need not just one officer per school, but one per classroom and/or office, plus some supernumeraries for athletic fields, hallways and parking lots. It would also help the students to get used to the idea of police officers on every street corner day and night. Of course with all those police out there, we'll have to come up with a hell of a lot of new crimes so that the numbers justify their cost, but I'm sure that the statists won't have any problem with that.

Ken

She lost...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jGLqbyW_oXVAOOZmJx8D6rKQ8n4AD8SQIP0O1
Judge: Teacher Has No Right to Carry Gun

By WILLIAM McCALL – 3 days ago

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An high school English teacher who wanted to take her semiautomatic handgun onto school grounds has no right to do so, a judge said Friday.

Shirley Katz, 44, has a concealed weapons permit and claimed a right to carry a handgun at South Medford High School in Medford, to defend against intruders or her former husband.

A district policy prohibits employees from carrying firearms on school grounds.

Her attorney, James Leuenberger, said it amounted to a local ordinance. He argued that only the Legislature, not local governments, can regulate firearms under state law.

Jackson County Circuit Judge G. Philip Arnold ruled Friday that an ordinance is different from a school district employment policy for its teachers.

Tim Gerking, the school district's lawyer, welcomed the ruling.

"Allowing staff to carry weapons into school buildings wouldn't enhance safety, it would only make it worse," Gerking said. "We'd have a completely new risk of accidental injuries as a result of these weapons."

Leuenberger said he planned to appeal.

"I think the judge obviously is wrong," Leuenberger said. "To make a big difference between a policy and an ordinance makes no sense. This is just an antigun decision."

Katz has said she obtained the Glock 9mm handgun to protect herself against threats from her ex-husband during their divorce in 2004.

The ex-husband has denied the allegations.

They'll never learn, even if in all these school shootings that keep popping up one teacher with a gun could have made all the difference. [thinking]

but that might require a teacher to *gasp* shoot a student. Better to have a misguided youth influenced by tv and a gun result in the death of 10+ people than for a teacher to murder a student

[rolleyes] that must be their logic.

You know if a student ever came to school and started shooting and killing people (at least in this state) and a teacher pulled out a gun and shot the killer the headline in the Boston Globe would read "Teacher murders student in cold blood", and the article would be full of quotes from family and friends saying "he was such a good boy, I don't understand why the teacher shot him."

I'd still rather be guilty in the court of public opinion than dead.

Back
Top Bottom