Survival Deals

Last edited:
A nice solar stove is like a nice grain mill. They cost a fortune because of the low volumes sold, but when you buy something quality it works and it works forever.

Use a crappy flour/grain mill and you'll understand why a hand crank Wonder is $200+ and the large wheel ones are $700+. Expensive for certain, but if you have a family to feed and you stock grains/beans it's an invaluable time saver.

ETA: I'm not saying buy that link above. I'm not a fan of those as the cooking tube is glass and from reviews I've seen very fragile, not like Pyrex. But there are more expensive solar boxes out there that are good quality and could survive constant handling.

Last edited:
If you soak rice and beans for day or so, they will cook a lot faster. I would say they are poor choices for trail food just because of the hassle and cook time.

If I was eating out of a ruck sack, I would have a good water filter and stick with freeze dried stuff.

Nice. Some quick math looks like it works out to about 12,440 calories per 'kit', so just under 1800 calories per day.

I ordered some, figure it can't hurt to have some variety.

--------------------------

Had a little more time during lunch and was curious on the amount of water needed.

Maple Grove Oatmeal:
Per Serving: 240Calories, 1 Cup Water Req. (x8) = 1920 Calories, 2 Quarts Water
Traveler's Stew:
Per Serving: 190Calories, 1 Cup Water Req. (x4) = 760 Calories, 1 Quart Water
Heartland's Best Mashed Potatoes:
Per Serving: 200Calories, .6 Cups per 4 Servings Req.(x4) = 800 Calories, ~2/3 Cups Water
Granny's Homestyle Potato Soup:
Per Serving: 270Calories, 1.125 Cups Water Req. (x4) = 1080 Calories, 1 1/8 Quarts. Water
Blue Ribbon Creamy Chicken Rice:
Per Serving: 490Calories, 1.125 Cups Water Req. (x8) = 3920 Calories, 2 1/4 Quarts Water
Country Cottage Mac & Cheese:
Per Serving: 320Calories, 1.125 Cups Water Req. (x4) = 1280 Calories, 1 1/8 Quarts Water
Creamy Beef Stroganoff:
Per Serving: 310Calories, 1.125 Cups Water Req. (x4) = 1240 Calories, 1 1/8 Quarts Water
Honey Coated Banana Chips:
Per Serving: 180Calories (x8) = 1,440 Calories

Total Calories:12,440 (1,778 per day)
Total WaterRequired: ~9 Quarts of Water, just shy

Last edited:
Oh good, it's back up. This morning the link was dead and a search of their site showed that item for like $67 or something like that.

They responded to my e-mail and were very apologetic. Web Site Problems. 17.76 price is good till midnight on the 4th. If you want it, better get it. Very good dal

Has anyone tasted the food on the 17.76 deal? Assume the point here is to try some on the cheap, order a bunch if it's tasty.

Has anyone tasted the food on the 17.76 deal? Assume the point here is to try some on the cheap, order a bunch if it's tasty.

I have tried it, I am very finicky eater (not so much after not eating for a few days though), it will do in a pinch but was not really to my liking. I have some in BOB only for convenience. Many of their other meals are very tasty though.

i pulled the trigger on the 17.76 deal. How is patriots supply compared to auguson and mountain house?

For those who ordered the 17.76 boxes (mine came today) the 2 gal. paint buckets (3.50, lids 2.50) from Home depot fit the contents of each box nicely. I'm going to go to website and print a description of the items and tape it to the lid of the bucket. I could have used 5 gal pails, but these fit my pantry better. I haven't tried the items, but I did rad the labels. Seems to be adequate protein pr serving. A few items had more sodium than I would wish for, but overall, can't beat it for the price!

For those who ordered the 17.76 boxes (mine came today) the 2 gal. paint buckets (3.50, lids 2.50) from Home depot fit the contents of each box nicely. I'm going to go to website and print a description of the items and tape it to the lid of the bucket. I could have used 5 gal pails, but these fit my pantry better. I haven't tried the items, but I did rad the labels. Seems to be adequate protein pr serving. A few items had more sodium than I would wish for, but overall, can't beat it for the price!

Good to hear. I was just wondering yesterday when they would be shipping.

I used the 5 gallon buckets and lids, and was able to get 2 of the boxes in with room for some more. I am going to try and pick up some single serving condiments and other small stuff to place in each bucket with 2 weeks of food. They are still light weight so they stack nice and should make for a decent grab and go type of thing.

Back
Top Bottom