• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Deals

You're just trying to convince me that I need to get off my ass and get my license so you'll have someone to talk to, aren't you?? [smile]

You are correct, though. Tests at Holyoke Hospital every month, maybe July??
Like someone who is into survival stuff needs an excuse for a new gadget or hobby..... [emoji1]

Mountain House Just In Case... Essential Bucket 35% off and on Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00955337I/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_lc?tag=thepatriotnur-20

I need to stock up on Preparation H if I'm gonna eat much of that stuff. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you're licensed you can use local repeaters to significantly extend your range. And speaking of repeaters we've had some storms here where cell towers were down for some amount of time and the repeater became invaluable for getting information to people in the blacked out area (think elderly, family, etc). It was common to hear someone asking if anyone nearby could check on their parents, and someone would do just that. I left mine on for a few days just in case anyone needed such a service in my area, but we had power/cell service.

Interesting - I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Like someone who is into survival stuff needs an excuse for a new gadget or hobby..... [emoji1]

That's the truth, brother. I bought "Ham radio for dummies" a couple years back and have flipped through it, but I keep blowing off taking the test. The main reason was that I don't really have a place to set up a radio in the house.

These things lit a fire under my butt. I'll screw around on these for a while (learning the radio, not talking) and I know within a few months I'll have found a place for a base unit

You're just trying to convince me that I need to get off my ass and get my license so you'll have someone to talk to, aren't you?? [smile]

You are correct, though. Tests at Holyoke Hospital every month, maybe July??

[wink]

I took it over in East Greenbush I believe. You needed two photo IDs so I used my DL and LTC. The first guy looked at it and said something like "I think it's actually worse in NY now." and the double-checker didn't like it one bit.

My Baofengs showed up today.
e801d6db23934f8927b1a902d6b2e492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been watching the shit show in Venezuela. Finding food and basic supplies is a real problem. They are saying that you have to get out and talk to people because you really only find out who has food in stock by word of mouth. I haven't heard reports of ham radio being used for this, but it makes sense to me.

Those BF-F9s look just like my UV-5R. Do you now what the difference is?

Those BF-F9s look just like my UV-5R. Do you now what the difference is?

I think the F9's are "8 watts", and have some firmware tweaks but are otherwise the same. I put the 8 watts in "" because I have read reports of people testing them and finding them to be more like 4, but I have also read the same about the UV5R's and all of mine work just fine.

Would they be for listening to what's going on in an emergency when normal means of communication are down?
I have one and have tried scanning for active channels. I got absolutely nothing except the 7 weather frequencies. So it looks rather pointless unless I get a second one....

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I have one and have tried scanning for active channels. I got absolutely nothing except the 7 weather frequencies. So it looks rather pointless unless I get a second one....

These are best when you have a network of friends you would want to communicate with when phones and internet are down. If the SHTF you might get some useful information by scanning and listening in on other people's conversations.

Yes, the 2 meter ham band is quiet 99% of the time, and when it's not it's usually a weekly ham club net (organized chat time). But if normal methods of communication go down the ham bands will get a lot busier.

Not to de-rail this thread (this should go in the HAM section of the forum) but you might want to try and program in any repeater that's close to you and scan them for a bit. I bet you find you'll have better luck doing something like that.

IMO Wise taste like crap. Not even closely comparable to Mountain House.

your opinion is accurate.

I keep some of that stuff around,, (which is has unhealthy amounts of sodium and MSG) to flavor rice. A 50 pound bag of rice broken up into reasonable service sizes, and flavored with that over-salted freeze dried stuff, makes bland rice a bunch more palatable.

Doesn't regular rice take a long time to cook on a propane camp stove? would it be better to have minute rice or another instant product? otherwise, you would us up all your fuel cooking it, it seems. Tried the mountain house lasagne, it's not bad. maybe a little salty, not as bad as rice-a-roni or any canned pasta (ie: beefaroni) Might get some to add variety to my Augason supplies.

Not to de-rail this thread (this should go in the HAM section of the forum) but you might want to try and program in any repeater that's close to you and scan them for a bit. I bet you find you'll have better luck doing something like that.

I haven't had any luck besides weather from my house with them. I went a few miles up north to a higher elevation and found one channel where a couple guys were talking. Is there a list of local repeaters in the Leominster area?

Doesn't regular rice take a long time to cook on a propane camp stove? would it be better to have minute rice or another instant product? otherwise, you would us up all your fuel cooking it, it seems. Tried the mountain house lasagne, it's not bad. maybe a little salty, not as bad as rice-a-roni or any canned pasta (ie: beefaroni) Might get some to add variety to my Augason supplies.

My stick fed rocket stove gets hot enough to fry with cast iron, so as long as you're willing to feed it sticks, fuel is not a problem to boil rice. Minute rice has most of the nutrients stripped out. In a tight food situation, you are going to want to drink the rice's water or use it for stock to retain the calories in the released starch. Rice goes a long, long way, which is why it's the 3rd world primary foodstuff, along with beans

The chef-boyardee extra filled ravioli have a reasonable protein/fat/carb balance. Lots of salt though. If you're sweating it out, you are going to crave salt anyway.

I'd like to have a solar panel big enough to run a rice cooker, but I think it takes too much wattage.

I'd like to have a solar panel big enough to run a rice cooker, but I think it takes too much wattage.

You'd need a whole bunch of panels, probably costing well over $1000 for all of them. You might as well get a solar oven, although it may take a couple hours to get the rice done that way. Using the sun's energy directly to cook, rather than going through the inefficient conversion, is much better. (Unless you want to cook at night, then you'd need the solar panel to charge a battery during the day.) Or, use small stove that takes sticks for fuel... there's a number of them out there. You don't need a rice cooker... any pot that'll boil water will do. I've done it and it comes out just as well if not better.

You'd need a whole bunch of panels, probably costing well over $1000 for all of them. You might as well get a solar oven, although it may take a couple hours to get the rice done that way. Using the sun's energy directly to cook, rather than going through the inefficient conversion, is much better. (Unless you want to cook at night, then you'd need the solar panel to charge a battery during the day.) Or, use small stove that takes sticks for fuel... there's a number of them out there. You don't need a rice cooker... any pot that'll boil water will do. I've done it and it comes out just as well if not better.

Thanks! Are there good solar cookers that people recommend? Something to boil water in would be great for freeze-dried meals. I do have a Solo stove, just would be nice to have something solar too.

Dutch oven, bed of coals with something to hold the pot slightly over them. Bam, cooked rice.
Yes Dutch oven worked great for rice and pretty much everything else. Anyone cooking efficiently over a fire is going to want one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Thanks! Are there good solar cookers that people recommend? Something to boil water in would be great for freeze-dried meals. I do have a Solo stove, just would be nice to have something solar too.
I still haven't bought one yet. They tend to be rather expensive. Although you can make your own, I would not expect them to be as good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom