• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Deals

I don't know about other people, but for planning for a real SHTF situation I look at food as fuel. It's just calories and vitamins. I just wish peanut butter could have a shelf life of 10 years. It's got a great balance of carbs, protein and fat and it's dense cheap calories.

PBFit is dehydrated peanut butter powder. In the drying process, it removes all the oil, so it lasts longer without going rancid. In Mylar with o2 absorbers it has more than a 10 year shelf life. You reconsitute it with water. It's not bad at all. I use it regularly for baking and put some up in my stores.

Are these packaged separately inside the bucket or is it just one big bucket-o-veggies that you scoop out?

PBFit is dehydrated peanut butter powder. In the drying process, it removes all the oil, so it lasts longer without going rancid. In Mylar with o2 absorbers it has more than a 10 year shelf life. You reconsitute it with water. It's not bad at all. I use it regularly for baking and put some up in my stores.

I have been buying the peanut butter powder from Honeyville grain for use in protein shakes. I have a case of it set aside for SHTF as well. I have it as morale booster. I keep and try to cycle through the real stuff as well.

Problem with it is, that they remove the fat for shelf life sake, which defeats Bobs purpose of cheap dense calories.

The good news is, that even when peanut butter goes bad, it isn't really bad. Taste goes off a bit, but it won't harm you. It's like rancid oil. Might not taste the best, but will not make you sick.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Just to try to get an idea, do you put it all in a big bag and keep snipping and resealing as you use, or do you portion it out into smaller bags. Im new to food storage (which is probably obvious) so just trying to get a handle on the basics. The fact that the storage life drops from 25 yrs to 1 yr after opening was a turn off for me considering it a big pail and I dont have a lot of mouths to feed.

Questions like the peanut butter one are the very reason I created the thread:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/169571-Confirmed-Food-Life-Personal-Experience-In-Long-Term-Storage

Because there's so much complete bullshit everywhere. I just did a search for peanut butter shelf life and here's what I got:

http://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/n...last-shelf-life-expiration-date-food-storage/
one year past printed date unopened
BULLSHIT

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17925
Unopened jar in pantry 2 years
BULLSHIT

http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/food-storage-shelf-life/
1-3 years unopened
BULLSHIT

http://offgridsurvival.com/survivalfood/
2-5 years
BULLSHIT

I'm currently eating a jar of BigY creamy peanut butter 64oz (4lb) I bought in September of 2010. It was opened over a month ago and it still tastes just like new. That's already 5 years old and it has no sign of going bad. It's been stored in a half finished basement, not climate controlled on the shelf in the normal clear plastic jar it came in since I bought it. It basically has stayed at from 60-75deg over those past years and I only keep the humidity level below 45% with a dehumidifier in the summer.

There is a lot of info out there on foods that is completely unsubstantiated by ACTUALLY STORING FOOD and trying it. I'll put aside one Sept 2010 jar and leave it there until 2020. If I'm still here in five years I'll post the results.

My point is, if you want to know about food storage, don't look on the internet at "charts". Find forums where people are actually doing it and ask. Then trust their opinion over people who have never done it.

I would never waste money on powdered peanut butter.

Last edited:
Questions like the peanut butter one are the very reason I created the thread:
Never saw that thread, but will definitely be subbing!

I would never waste money on powdered peanut butter.
The only reason I buy the powdered stuff now, is because I am trying to limit fat with my weight/conditioning program.

As a means of survival, I am going with the real stuff, which is why I continue to keep both around. I bought the case of powdered pb when I was brand new to food storage. Looks like lots of good info in that thread!

And, yes, I eat PB that is years past exp all the time with no bad consequences.

Thanks.

Just to try to get an idea, do you put it all in a big bag and keep snipping and resealing as you use, or do you portion it out into smaller bags. Im new to food storage (which is probably obvious) so just trying to get a handle on the basics. The fact that the storage life drops from 25 yrs to 1 yr after opening was a turn off for me considering it a big pail and I dont have a lot of mouths to feed.

You can always do the #10 cans. Most dates on items are suggested use by dates. A vacuum sealer will add to the shelf life of dried goods.

Figured I would start a thread where we could post deals we find online for gear, equipment and supplies.

I'll kick it off with these LED Head Lamps for $5 each at SharkStores. They're probably not the best headlamps on the market but I'm picking up two to keep as spares in case my Petzl goes on the fritz.

I've ordered a few things from this vendor before and they're legit.

This is a daily deal and ends today (7/16).

Currently they're offering ladies bags for sale. They are offering great discount as well. Do that site regularly changes their product category of that page and offers discount?

Currently they're offering ladies bags for sale. They are offering great discount as well. Do that site regularly changes their product category of that page and offers discount?

They do change their deals frequently. However, that post was from 2012, so even if they only changed their deals occasionally, they might have changed since then.

At the risk of sounding stupid, why should the average person get one of these?
Thanks in advance :)

Emergency comms, you know, shoot, move, communicate. They are very handy and a huge bang for the buck radio.

BUT... they are $35 paperweights if you don't take a significant amount of time to learn to operate them. They are not like the walkie talkies you buy at the store.

BUT... they are $35 paperweights if you don't take a significant amount of time to learn to operate them. They are not like the walkie talkies you buy at the store.

True enough. I tend to assume someone buying something like this either knows their use, or are willing to figure out their use, so I talk to people with that assumption in mind. If they don't put the effort in and these radios sit in the box in the bottom of a closet, poo-poo on them. I say this as someone who dropped big money on a VX-7R because someone told me to and didn't turn it on for 2 years. Poo-poo on me.

If I wanted something to throw in my car and my wife's car, in case cell phones are down, should I get this? Or those things people use on ski slopes? I understand range will be very short in both cases, but might be better than nothing.

If I wanted something to throw in my car and my wife's car, in case cell phones are down, should I get this? Or those things people use on ski slopes? I understand range will be very short in both cases, but might be better than nothing.

If you're licensed you can use local repeaters to significantly extend your range. And speaking of repeaters we've had some storms here where cell towers were down for some amount of time and the repeater became invaluable for getting information to people in the blacked out area (think elderly, family, etc). It was common to hear someone asking if anyone nearby could check on their parents, and someone would do just that. I left mine on for a few days just in case anyone needed such a service in my area, but we had power/cell service.

If you're licensed you can use local repeaters to significantly extend your range. And speaking of repeaters we've had some storms here where cell towers were down for some amount of time and the repeater became invaluable for getting information to people in the blacked out area (think elderly, family, etc). It was common to hear someone asking if anyone nearby could check on their parents, and someone would do just that. I left mine on for a few days just in case anyone needed such a service in my area, but we had power/cell service.

You're just trying to convince me that I need to get off my ass and get my license so you'll have someone to talk to, aren't you?? [smile]

You are correct, though. Tests at Holyoke Hospital every month, maybe July??

Back
Top Bottom