Survival Deals

But you don't have to use it all IMMEDIATELY. It's freeze-dried so you can take some out and put the lid back on the can. According to Mountain House, you should be good for a week after opening the can, and I suspect probably quite a bit longer truthfully:

https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/taste.html

I like to taste test what I get to see what brands I like best (it's mountain house). I've only done this with meats, not complete meals, but I've taken upwards of 2 months to go through a #10 can of chicken, turkey or the likes and I'm still alive. Has only been mountain house and EE so far, but they are what I primarily purchase for price/ sale purposes.

I like to taste test what I get to see what brands I like best (it's mountain house). I've only done this with meats, not complete meals, but I've taken upwards of 2 months to go through a #10 can of chicken, turkey or the likes and I'm still alive. Has only been mountain house and EE so far, but they are what I primarily purchase for price/ sale purposes.

How were you storing the opened cans? Anything special or just stuck in the pantry?

How were you storing the opened cans? Anything special or just stuck in the pantry?

The EE turkey breast said to put it in a ziplock bag and then back in the can, the mountain house chicken didn't say anything. Otherwise in the can with the lid on in the cabinet. Nothing special. I will say towards the end of the 2 months one of them started to smell a little funky but I went through it anyways. Can't remember which one it was, think it was the chicken.

eta - in the future if available I'll most likely go the route of ziplock bagging before I anything back in the container, extra layer of protection never hurt anyone.

Last edited:
I wonder how much longer one could extend the life of the #10 can contents if one were to chuck the unused amount into food saver bags. Has anyone heard or read anything about that?

im sure that would help. The main reason it goes bad after opening is it absorbs moisture from the air and slowly re hydrates and at that point it can spoil.

I wonder how much longer one could extend the life of the #10 can contents if one were to chuck the unused amount into food saver bags. Has anyone heard or read anything about that?

you're better off with a less permeable membrane than plastic. If you have a foodsaver, get a vacuum attachment for mason jars and put the contents in there, and if for long term with an O2 absorber. You're all but starting the clock over again. I can also tell you from experience that putting salt, sugar, etc in a mason jar and just closing the lid helps preserve and protect them from moisture in a damp environment.

Have you or anyone else tried any of their stuff?

It's not that great really in my opinion. The Wise stuff is OK, but the Mountain House is much better of the three. The price usually reflects this.

Buy some and try it. It doesn't "suck" and it's better than having nothing.

Anyone ever actually used one of these? I'm curious if a toddler would have a hard time sucking the water through.

With the Sawyer filter, you can fill a standard water bottle with pond water, screw the filter on, then squeeze the bottle to help the toddler suck up the filtered water in their mouth

I hope it's descent stuff. I just bought a bunch of the dried whole eggs. 10year shelf life and a good value of calories/dollar and protein/dollar. I guess I'll never know if they are any good because they're just going in the stash in the basement for the next 10 years. After 9 or 10 years I'll probably try them, but if they suck I won't know if it's because they're old or simply that they suck.

I hope it's descent stuff. I just bought a bunch of the dried whole eggs. 10year shelf life and a good value of calories/dollar and protein/dollar. I guess I'll never know if they are any good because they're just going in the stash in the basement for the next 10 years. After 9 or 10 years I'll probably try them, but if they suck I won't know if it's because they're old or simply that they suck.

I bought a couple cans of the dried whole eggs (71 size) a couple weeks ago when they were the 'Daily Deal'. Researching freeze dried/powdered eggs I found that Augason Farms dried Scrambled Eggs got the best reviews. I chose to go with the whole eggs because it's just eggs, nothing added.

I've tried a few different things from Augason Farms and found the food to be decent. It's not going to be gourmet, but I don't think I'd have a problem sustaining a diet on it. I like it better then Wise, who's salt content was through the roof. Mountain House to me seems expensive compared to what you're getting. Might get some to have a mix, but so far I've been happy with Augason.

Anybody have local sources for bulk TVP? Online it seems to run over $4 a pound, apparently people can find it locally in other parts of the country for $2 a pound.

It's not that great really in my opinion. The Wise stuff is OK, but the Mountain House is much better of the three. The price usually reflects this.

Buy some and try it. It doesn't "suck" and it's better than having nothing.

I thought Wise was complete tasteless garbage. [grin] While Augason isn't Moutain House it's pretty decent IMO and a lot cheaper than MH.

"Google search says" Augason Farms's site may be compromised -- just a heads up. If you have an open order maybe give them a shout....

I was camping this weekend and the guy at the site next to us had a nice lantern that ran off an iso butane tank. You could read or hang out by it and it would keep you from tripping over stuff, but it wasn't throwing a ton of light. It's compact, uses common fuel (if you have a Pocket Rocket or JetBoil), has a built-in piezo igniter and includes a chain to hang from a branch and a plastic case. Not bad for $20. It uses mantles like Coleman lanterns, so those can be readily replaced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131757758215

My suggestion, store foods you like to eat, and then eat from what you store.

If you already have a pantry, I don't see a problem with having a few months worth of the long term stuff stashed away JIC.
Agreed. A layered approach is best. A FIFO pantry of foods you eat to last several months backed up by long term storage foods. I like to also mix in MREs for their flexibility when out in the field plus my kids love them

Back
Top Bottom