Survival Deals

Figured I would start a thread where we could post deals we find online for gear, equipment and supplies.

I'll kick it off with these LED Head Lamps for $5 each at SharkStores. They're probably not the best headlamps on the market but I'm picking up two to keep as spares in case my Petzl goes on the fritz.

I've ordered a few things from this vendor before and they're legit.

This is a daily deal and ends today (7/16).

On that note, keep an eye out at Home Depot come Christmas time, I have picked up 5 packs of headlamps for $10, I gave them out as Christmas presents. Yes they were cheap but they do work.

Same with Dicks Sporting Goods - multi packs of LED's there now and more during Christmas. $9.99 for a 5-pack of Dorcy LED's. They are approx 30 lumens and work great. Apparently they haven't marked up Platypus and Nalgene bottles into the stratosphere, (yet) and they are in great supply. Coghlan's makes a decent folding Sterno stove and a triox stove. Both are under 10-bucks, (the triox stove even comes with a dozen fuel tabs) and make a great addition to a utility bucket.

Last edited:
Got a Coleman red lantern for $7 at a yard sale. Took it home, cleaned it and put a new mantle on it and after adding fuel it fired right up!

Sorry, no more available [wink]

Almost started a thread like this the other day. Weird.

Market Basket brand pasta is on sale 79c/box this week. Good for bucket or mylar. (they don't always have that other brand that's regularly 79c/lb)

Walmart has Progresso soups for $1.88

Alternatively, Home Depot has the Gamma lids for $6.99 and buckets for $2.60
Yup, but I've been unable to confirm that the black lids (the only ones they stock) or any of their buckets are food safe. I'm willing to risk the lids, but food-safe 5-gal buckets are available at WalMart for around the same price.

Neither one has more than a dozen total in stock, though, and they re-stock very slowly.

This may be a stupid question but if the food is in a Mylar bag does it matter if the bucket is food safe?

The bucket is a non-factor if the food is in mylar. At that point the bucket is just for perforation protection or transportation. I use 1 gallon mylar bags so I can rotate them into the pantry, and keep them stacked in rubbermaid totes.

The white buckets at Lowe's are labelled as Food Safe. I bought a couple dozen this winter when they were on sale for $2.99 or so. They usually have stacks of them in stock, along with the snap-on lids. I buy my Gamma Seal lids at Home Depot.

I got all of my mylar bags and O2 absorbers from Discount Mylar Bags dot com:

http://www.discountmylarbags.com/categories/Mylar-Bag{47}Oxygen-Absorber-Combo-Kits/

The twenty 1-gallon bags with twenty O2 absorbers is about the best deal I could find.

sorry, new to this. will gamma lids screw onto the regular 5 gallon buckets you find at home depot etc., or do you need a special gamma type bucket. i don't recall my 5 gallon buckets to have a threaded insert? also, if i ask for gamma lids at hd/lowes, will they know what i am talking about?

sorry, new to this. will gamma lids screw onto the regular 5 gallon buckets you find at home depot etc., or do you need a special gamma type bucket. i don't recall my 5 gallon buckets to have a threaded insert? also, if i ask for gamma lids at hd/lowes, will they know what i am talking about?

The Gamma Seal lids fit on regular buckets. They have a ring that snaps onto the bucket, and then the threaded part is inside the ring.

If you are in Home Depot or Lowe's, the buckets are usually near the paint department or the trash barrels.

Dammit, I just had to order four of these. Between the bags we already had, and all of the clearance deals I found this year at Target and Dicks, I bet I have about 15-20 sleeping bags.

Maybe someday I'll open a homeless shelter.

It's a good week to back up the truck at market basket on some stuff

69c/lb pasta
$.89 Hunts Pasta Sauce
$1.25 Progresso MEAT soups (really good, this is rare.. usually this is only on vegetable... stay away from Plaistow.. i'm taking it all)
$1.50 Grape Jelly
$1.25 Tuna
$.50 Canned fruit cups
$4.99 12-pack of mac and cheese

It's a good week to back up the truck at market basket on some stuff

69c/lb pasta
$.89 Hunts Pasta Sauce
$1.25 Progresso MEAT soups (really good, this is rare.. usually this is only on vegetable... stay away from Plaistow.. i'm taking it all)
$1.50 Grape Jelly
$1.25 Tuna
$.50 Canned fruit cups
$4.99 12-pack of mac and cheese

Yum to everything except tuna. I gotta get my ass to MB soon. I don't stock any food. But with the way this country is going , I might as well.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

280z cans of Pastene Kitchen Ready Tomatoes are 79c at Market Basket this week (that's 50%, rare discount... store brand usually is usually 99c)

Progresso Soups are 4/$5 (says select varities, havent been there to see if this includes meat soups... would be great if so). $1 off 4 coupon in last weeks Glob.

50c a pound turkeys for spanksgiving at Hannaford this week. Cheap sandwhiches for the year, or canning fodder.

Forgive me for being a food storage noob.
Instead of paying for a gamma bucket, couldn't you just get the food containers from a bakery? they usually had frosting in them.
I know they don't have a rubber seal like the gamma buckets. But, if the food you are storing is already in mylar, why not use those? The MB near me just throws them out, unless I go up to the counter and ask.
I've gotten 1 gallon and 5 gallon buckets, with lids, for free. They are great for storing all kinds of items, like grass seed.

Back
Top Bottom