• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Shall issue doesn't mean you get a license simply for not being a prohibited person, it just means the state can't deny you a license for not being a PP. Beyond that, if they dont think your 20/40 vision is good enough, they can deny you for that.
True, but it would put an end to "your need is not special enough"; "you are not a household name so you do not have a special fear", etc.

True, but it would put an end to "your need is not special enough"; "you are not a household name so you do not have a special fear", etc.
I'm just saying that this Bruen case is not going to be as big as we've all made it out to be. I think we all just got giddy like schoolgirls because Scotus touches 2A so rarely.

I don’t like this taking this long. Should have been released by now. Hope that they are not pulling an Obamacare on us. Don’t trust any of them after their cowardice with the 2020 election

SCOTUS decisions are being released this morning at 10 am.

Update - not issued today. Dammit.
So not yesterday, anything happen today?

It looks like Thomas wrote 2 of the opinions released today. What does that potentially mean for the NY case?
Is he good or bad for our side?

It definitely won’t be a negative ruling, there were at least 6 to strike down the NY law.
You sound pretty sure of that. I hope so.

We could definitely use a win
Yes we could.

I think there’s still something like 30 cases left. Might be a while.
Sounds like they need to do them in batches. 23 days left in June. If they do 3 per day, that's 10 days. Time to spare!

With all the crap going on maybe they are holding off hoping that things calm down a bit?
Or getting their frame of mind right, and inserting robotic backbone to deal with the whining.

Is he good or bad for our side?
You're asking if Thomas is good or bad for our side? Thomas is by far the most conservative and pro-2A justice on the bench. He was the ONLY one who would have granted relief in the 2020 election case raised by the state of Texas. SCOTUS would be better if its makeup were so:
thomUS.jpg

I'm just saying that this Bruen case is not going to be as big as we've all made it out to be. I think we all just got giddy like schoolgirls because Scotus touches 2A so rarely.

It will make the remaining states essentially shall issue. The SCOTUS ruling will likely allow states to require someone take a safety class, etc but they’ll need to be regulations not designed to restrict people from getting a gun license. Some of the 8 may issue states now are basically no issue. That will end which is a big deal. There are 10s of millions who live in Hawaii, coastal California, NJ, NYC etc who have zero chance to get a gun Incense now.

In addition it’s important to have SCOTUS set the standard of how lower courts must rule on 2A cases.

It will make the remaining states essentially shall issue. The SCOTUS ruling will likely allow states to require someone take a safety class, etc but they’ll need to be regulations not designed to restrict people from getting a gun license. Some of the 8 may issue states now are basically no issue. That will end which is a big deal. There are 10s of millions who live in Hawaii, coastal California, NJ, NYC etc who have zero chance to get a gun Incense now.

In addition it’s important to have SCOTUS set the standard of how lower courts must rule on 2A cases.
I know it's huge for people in current may issue states, but I dont see the process for them getting the license to be as easy as 123 because they're in enemy territory.

But a groundbreaking decision I do not see.

The safety classes and any other requirements should be free of charge otherwise the scotus decision is worthless because they simply up the LTC cost from $100 to $10,000 or places all kinds of restrictions and costs onto the new gun owner. MA could pass a law saying you must own a safe before applying for the LTC. The safe must be installed in your home by a state sanctioned safe installer, etc etc etc. They could do all kind of preload to basically kill shall issue. Sure you'll get your license, once you're done paying for all of this other sh*t before applying. F**k that.

Rights are rights, period end full stop. It's something I can do whenever I want and however I want and it doesn't cost anything to do it.

The safety classes and any other requirements should be free of charge otherwise the scotus decision is worthless because they simply up the LTC cost from $100 to $10,000 or places all kinds of restrictions and costs onto the new gun owner. MA could pass a law saying you must own a safe before applying for the LTC. The safe must be installed in your home by a state sanctioned safe installer, etc etc etc. They could do all kind of preload to basically kill shall issue. Sure you'll get your license, once you're done paying for all of this other sh*t before applying. F**k that.

Rights are rights, period end full stop. It's something I can do whenever I want and however I want and it doesn't cost anything to do it.

This is why this decision won’t likely change much, sadly. The court needs to be proactive and state that anything that places meaningful restrictions or limitations is per se invalid. But the court never does that. They just stick to a narrow ruling and the process has to start all over with some different infringement. It’s extremely inefficient and a stupid way to adjudicate.

One and done. Only one SCOTUS opinion released this morning and not the one any of us is likely waiting for. It was the third fourth opinion for Thomas in this session.

Last edited:
This is why this decision won’t likely change much, sadly. The court needs to be proactive and state that anything that places meaningful restrictions or limitations is per se invalid. But the court never does that. They just stick to a narrow ruling and the process has to start all over with some different infringement. It’s extremely inefficient and a stupid way to adjudicate.

Unless scotus takes a strong stand for civil rights in this country, the left will just keep pecking away at civil liberties until they get a win somewhere and then that will be 'settled' law that cannot be reversed or argued and then they can use one legal victory to shoehorn an entire agenda.

Unless scotus takes a strong stand for civil rights in this country, the left will just keep pecking away at civil liberties until they get a win somewhere and then that will be 'settled' law that cannot be reversed or argued and then they can use one legal victory to shoehorn an entire agenda.

United States Constitution and Bill of Rights ARE SETTLED LAW !!!!!!!

It's just an inconvenience for the left

Agreed but that's not how a segment of the population views it. It's all flexible and alterable, with nothing ever remaining the same. Look at Peter Navarro being indicted even though the constitution states very very clearly "No bill of attainder". I mean when the democrats lose in the midterms I would use the same exact tool being exercised by Pelosi right now to put democrat congressmen and member of the Biden administration in jail. It's only fair to return the favor.

There are on 8 may issue states, so any carry restrictions/regulations will be isolated. DC lost a carry case and was forced into shall issue. They passed a LOT of restrictions, most of those were tossed by the courts. The districts won’t be able to raise licensing to $10k, etc.

There are on 8 may issue states, so any carry restrictions/regulations will be isolated. DC lost a carry case and was forced into shall issue. They passed a LOT of restrictions, most of those were tossed by the courts. The districts won’t be able to raise licensing to $10k, etc.
There needs to be national reciprocity. As mobile as our population is, it would only make sense that one state's license is honored in all states.

You're asking if Thomas is good or bad for our side? Thomas is by far the most conservative and pro-2A justice on the bench. He was the ONLY one who would have granted relief in the 2020 election case raised by the state of Texas. SCOTUS would be better if its makeup were so:
View attachment 624488
"My side" is the Constitution and the rights of the people, versus government abuse. Thomas is great on some issues, but horrible on other.

He authored the 6-3 majority opinion that effectively makes it impossible to sue a federal agent who clearly violates your well established rights.

I just wanted to quote this again. 1) It's important 2) because

Hey, I wonder if it will be today. We should start picking dates and see who wins.

"My side" is the Constitution and the rights of the people, versus government abuse. Thomas is great on some issues, but horrible on other.

He authored the 6-3 majority opinion that effectively makes it impossible to sue a federal agent who clearly violates your well established rights.

Hey, remember that thing about the second amendment being about tyrannical government?

This is the sort of tyrannical government it applies to.

If the SCOTUS decision is NOT relatively broad wrt CCW and standard of review, expect a gun-buying surge. Get‘em before they ban ‘em.

If the SCOTUS decision IS relatively broad wrt CCW and standard of review, expect a gun-buying surge.Get‘em while the gettin’s good.

If the SCOTUS decision is NOT relatively broad wrt CCW and standard of review, expect a gun-buying surge. Get‘em before they ban ‘em.

If the SCOTUS decision IS relatively broad wrt CCW and standard of review, expect a gun-buying surge.Get‘em while the gettin’s good.
So what you're saying is I should buy stock in gun companies?

SCOTUS can come out swinging with a really strong 2A stance but ask yourself will AG Horseface care about what scotus says? Do you think law enforcement in this country will care? The left in this country doesn't care about the constitution or anything else except hurting and harming their political opponents and they are finding willing psychopaths in the ranks of law enforcement.

"The USSC might make our law unconstitutional. We need to make another law in the same vein."

Ummm, I'm not sure that's how it works. "Damn. If we could only pass ANOTHER law here in South Carolina that legalized slavery, we wouldn't have to leave the Union."

Nothing today. Just a case about an inn situated on the US/Canada border.

It's an interesting case. No innocent parties there. Scumbag federal agent. Scumbag inn owner.

SCOTUS can come out swinging with a really strong 2A stance but ask yourself will AG Horseface care about what scotus says? Do you think law enforcement in this country will care? The left in this country doesn't care about the constitution or anything else except hurting and harming their political opponents and they are finding willing psychopaths in the ranks of law enforcement.
Yes, agreed - it’ll be more like the Emancipation Proclamation and decades of Jim Crow than VE Day.

This case might be about SCOTUS defining the level of review for firearms as at least intermediate, sometimes strict, but rarely simply rational. That would send a message to Circuit Courts to stop this post-Heller BS and make 2ndA an enumerated right of the people. It might take another deacde of smack-downs before that sinks in, although there’s more chance BS gun laws would be stayed until the case comes up.

Back
Top Bottom