Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Anyone know about this case coming out of Lowell district court? Apparently a judge ruled that a person entering the commonwealth with a gun does not need a non-resident LTC to carry a weapon in MA. The first post Bruen decision coming out of MA:

Full opinion here: Opinion Coffey Comm v. Donnell.pdf

I just saw that myself. Is it about carry, or just possession?

Why does it have to be an officer that vets the applications? For Christ's sake, it's an admin job.

It doesn't. My town's PD admin takes care of 95% of the LTC process. She's got a short list of which issues to bump up to the chief, everything else ends up in the chiefs queue to approve on Tuesday night when PD office hours are.

My renewal for June took 63 days, which works out to 9 business days for the department. It does slow the process, if a state agency check gets processed on Wednesday, the PD won't see it until the next Tues.

Anyone know about this case coming out of Lowell district court? Apparently a judge ruled that a person entering the commonwealth with a gun does not need a non-resident LTC to carry a weapon in MA. The first post Bruen decision coming out of MA:

The ruling states that the defendant complied with all license requirements in his home state, and Massachusetts is required to honor that by the Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution.

MA can still set their own requirements for firearms licenses, but they must honor those set by other states for residents of those states who are in MA.

This is an absolute atom bomb of a ruling.

The ruling states that the defendant complied with all license requirements in his home state, and Massachusetts is required to honor that by the Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution.

MA can still set their own requirements for firearms licenses, but they must honor those set by other states for residents of those states who are in MA.

This is an absolute atom bomb of a ruling.

It's implicit reciprocity!

There are actually some towns that pretty much have admins do everything except they will have a captain etc sign off on the license.....
My city went to an admin in the last 10 years. No more waiting. Interviews/meetings are available 4 days a week and you can schedule one a week out. I had my renewal in 6 weeks. They even mail it out now instead of having to come by the station to pick it up.

Much better than the old process of dealing with someone else.

No shot this doesn’t get appealed. I’m certain the appeals court will reverse this. If not them, the SJC most certainly will.

@nstassel had posted the opinion - nice to see it is getting some coverage

No shot this doesn’t get appealed. I’m certain the appeals court will reverse this. If not them, the SJC most certainly will.
The state would be an idiot to appeal this one - as it sits this case applies to one person with other charges pending.
While they might get this one guy, they could lose licensing completely given that Massachusetts requires licenses to merely possess arms

explain to morons like me what this actually means, please.
To us right now? Nothing other than an interesting blip on the radar.

As a indicator of the future?
This is a big chink in the Mass gun control scheme - The opinion was simple and contains some errors but brings up a clear problem with Mass gun control law.

The state would be an idiot to appeal this one - as it sits this case applies to one person with other charges pending.
While they might get this one guy, they could lose licensing completely given that Massachusetts requires licenses to merely possess arms
or buy ammo or anything else. I also pray that the fiat on ammo bullshit gets crushed.

or buy ammo or anything else. I also pray that the fiat on ammo bullshit gets crushed.

Before addressing the verbs “keep” and “bear,” we interpret their object: “Arms.” The 18th-century meaning is nodifferent from the meaning today. The 1773 edition of Samuel Johnson’s dictionary defined “arms” as “weaponsof offence, or armour of defence.” 1 Dictionary of theEnglish Language 107 (4th ed.) (hereinafter Johnson).Timothy Cunningham’s important 1771 legal dictionary defined “arms” as “any thing that a man wears for his defence, or takes into his hands, or useth in wrath to cast at or strike another.” 1 A New and Complete Law Dictionary (1771); see also N. Webster, American Dictionary of the English Language (1828) (reprinted 1989) (hereinafter Webster) (similar).

Ammo is by legal definition an arm - Massachusetts recognizes this but fails to recognize its protected status

To us right now? Nothing other than an interesting blip on the radar.

As a indicator of the future?
This is a big chink in the Mass gun control scheme - The opinion was simple and contains some errors but brings up a clear problem with Mass gun control law.
Why were they attempting to charge this guy to begin with?

Back
Top Bottom