Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Was looking for something else, but found this from 2018:
"The approvals are the first since the department earlier this year updated its gun policy, adding two controversial requirements: Applicants must take a safety course and submit a “written supplement” — or essay — explaining the reason(s) for seeking the license."

I am guessing/hoping this has changed since Bruen. Can anyone confirm these are no longer required?
I’m not sure if Lowell has changed their requirements since Bruen. What I will say is that the AGO has said post-Bruen that licensing authorities are still allowed to ask people why they want a LTC. They just can’t deny you based solely on you lacking a sufficient reason for wanting one. They can only use your answer to that question to determine if you’re a prohibited person or unsuitable. Therefore, I’d expect an essay answering the question may be perfectly fine for them to request according to the AGO.

I’m not sure if Lowell has changed their requirements since Bruen. What I will say is that the AGO has said post-Bruen that licensing authorities are still allowed to ask people why they want a LTC. They just can’t deny you based solely on you lacking a sufficient reason for wanting one. They can only use your answer to that question to determine if you’re a prohibited person or unsuitable. Therefore, I’d expect an essay answering the question may be perfectly fine for them to request according to the AGO.
Well, since the LO in Lowell refuses to answer his phone, return a phone call, or answer an email, I am betting Lowell is effectively NOT issuing any new LTCs since COVID, so even pre-Bruen. My wife has been trying for almost a year and cannot get in touch with the LO at all

Well, since the LO in Lowell refuses to answer his phone, return a phone call, or answer an email, I am betting Lowell is effectively NOT issuing any new LTCs since COVID, so even pre-Bruen. My wife has been trying for almost a year and cannot get in touch with the LO at all
More than time to escalate it politely to the mayor or your state rep/sen. Usually this works wonders to get a response. Good luck.

@Comm2A is actually currently looking for plaintiffs to sue the city of Lowell last time I heard. Might want to send an email to [email protected] for help.

Why does she need to get in touch? File the application completely and correctly and send with check certified mail to the LO. Or did she already do that . . .

Why does she need to get in touch? File the application completely and correctly and send with check certified mail to the LO. Or did she already do that . . .
Some LOs refuse to consider this a submission, though I suppose you could consider a failure to respond withing 40 days a denial and hire an attorney to complain for you.

After the 2nd or 3rd unanswered call I would have shown up at the PD station in person.

Sometimes there is no malevolent reason; some people just suck at returning calls and organizing communications. Laziness, poor office skills, whatever the reason, some people just need to be spoken to face to face.

After the 2nd or 3rd unanswered call I would have shown up at the PD station in person.

Sometimes there is no malevolent reason; some people just suck at returning calls and organizing communications. Laziness, poor office skills, whatever the reason, some people just need to be spoken to face to face.
She tried the just stop in tactic and it didn't work. Each time the office was closed and locked and nobody answered the knocking

The guy at the front desk said he didn't know where the LO was or when he would be back. He told her to just leave a message. Honestly, I don't think she is trying as hard as I would, but who knows

The guy at the front desk said he didn't know where the LO was or when he would be back. He told her to just leave a message. Honestly, I don't think she is trying as hard as I would, but who knows

I get it. And I’ll say that she should not need to put much effort into it. It’s frustrating that she does have to spend this much time and effort on it.

For years, the LO in my town was also in charge of the motor pool, the radios, and the training records. Plus he had patrol duties. He was legitimately a busy MFer. He was hard to get ahold of too, but he eventually let it be known that Tuesdays were his “LO days” and he made a special effort to be reachable then.

Not ideal, but you’re right: it’s not always malevolence.

The YouTube channels that keep showing up in my feed are worse than the advice on what foods are healthy. Seems like every day they have a new headline that is pure clickbait about Supreme Court deciding one way or other and then back again a day later and if you listen it is usually not even the SC, but one of the districts or a state SC etc. I got dizzy and stopped watching all of them. Armed Scholar, Armed Attorneys, The Four Boxes etc.

For years, the LO in my town was also in charge of the motor pool, the radios, and the training records. Plus he had patrol duties. He was legitimately a busy MFer. He was hard to get ahold of too, but he eventually let it be known that Tuesdays were his “LO days” and he made a special effort to be reachable then.

Last I knew, the LO in Lowell was one of their detectives and besides doing the firearms stuff, he had to handle a full caseload of felonies and other detective stuff. I'm guessing he puts firearms at the bottom of his priority list

Last I knew, the LO in Lowell was one of their detectives and besides doing the firearms stuff, he had to handle a full caseload of felonies and other detective stuff. I'm guessing he puts firearms at the bottom of his priority list
It's almost like that is by design or something.

I'm sure LPD has no officers riding a desk because of limited duty (illness or injury), shuffling papers pending retirement, etc.

Why does it have to be an officer that vets the applications? For Christ's sake, it's an admin job.

Hire a retired officer on per diem a couple of days a week and be done with it...

Or better yet, put some of the officers that are on "light duty" or "disability" to do the job

Why does it have to be an officer that vets the applications? For Christ's sake, it's an admin job.

Hire a retired officer on per diem a couple of days a week and be done with it...

Or better yet, put some of the officers that are on "light duty" or "disability" to do the job
There are actually some towns that pretty much have admins do everything except they will have a captain etc sign off on the license.....

"However, in her July 13 decision, the judge revised this framing of the relevant conduct. Because the ordinance “does not condition ownership on complying with the Insurance Requirement, as non-compliance with the Ordinance can only result in an administrative citation or fine [and] the City has no authority to seize a person’s gun under the Ordinance’s impoundment provision,” the judge found that mere ownership or possession of a gun—plaintiffs’ preferred framing—was not restricted by the ordinance. Judge Freeman reframed the conduct alleged in the amended complaint as “choosing to keep and bear arms at home without the burden of insuring liability for firearm-related accidents.”

I handle my wife's and daughter's LTC applications - they only need to show up for the appointment.

Don't have to worry about my son keeping up with his LTC - he made sure that his LTC app was in on time so he could get his LTC as close as possible to his 21st but I do need to worry about him filling the safe with revolvers...

"However, in her July 13 decision, the judge revised this framing of the relevant conduct. Because the ordinance “does not condition ownership on complying with the Insurance Requirement, as non-compliance with the Ordinance can only result in an administrative citation or fine [and] the City has no authority to seize a person’s gun under the Ordinance’s impoundment provision,” the judge found that mere ownership or possession of a gun—plaintiffs’ preferred framing—was not restricted by the ordinance. Judge Freeman reframed the conduct alleged in the amended complaint as “choosing to keep and bear arms at home without the burden of insuring liability for firearm-related accidents.”
Am I missing something? Wouldn't an assurity bond be your money until it is either applied to some damaging action or returned to you? Esentially your money held in trust just in case. That's far from the case with a premium payment, that money is gone even if nothing ever goes wrong.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't an assurity bond be your money until it is either applied to some damaging action or returned to you? Esentially your money held in trust just in case. That's far from the case with a premium payment, that money is gone even if nothing ever goes wrong.
Yep, in olden times, you’d post a surety bond for good behavior, forfeit if you misbehaved or returned at a specified time. Insurance - gone baby gone.

Just another judge dragging their heels until they get the smackdown. Natural Rights turn out not to be free, unfortunately, as we must pay to litigate against our government to maintain them. We pay them to litigate against us too…

Yep, in olden times, you’d post a surety bond for good behavior, forfeit if you misbehaved or returned at a specified time. Insurance - gone baby gone.

Just another judge dragging their heels until they get the smackdown. Natural Rights turn out not to be free, unfortunately, as we must pay to litigate against our government to maintain them. We pay them to litigate against us too…

Insurance is kinda like a permission slip to do bad things.

Not completely, if having it is a requirement and there’s the possibility of becoming uninsurable, but close enough.

Back
Top Bottom