Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

He would have had a stroke if he knew that he was standing next to an armed Jew when he visited a local synagogue in MA many years ago. [laugh] One of our detectives and myself were the only armed folks in that building.
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that he did not bring his own armed phalanx. Besides your LEO, or former LEO, status would have made it "OK".

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that he did not bring his own armed phalanx. Besides your LEO, or former LEO, status would have made it "OK".
I don't remember the year, so it might have been before I joined the PD. It definitely was not after I retired. It was sometime in the 1970s or 1980s.

How many people are in and around the city? I wonder what that number is. Then, I wonder how many people in the ENTIRE REST OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK. I would hope there are more in the latter category. Then, figure out how bad they want freedom, and how much money collectively each group has.

NYC reports 8.4m residents. NYS reports 19.5m.

You'd need to dig deeper to figure out all the suburbs, I suppose, but then you'd also need to add in Buffalo and Albany as probable BDCs. Probably comes close to 50/50. But don't make the mistake of assuming that the whole rest of NYS is red, or likes guns; plenty of them are probably casual voters who don't really care about guns.

Just be careful about generalizations, is all.

this will be gold

Ironically, it's a win-win for the politicians. They can pass anything they want: they know it'll get overturned, so they won't be responsible for the results. They're free to be as virtue-signally as they want, just like Hochul, and they can go back to their constituents as heroes.

You'd need to dig deeper to figure out all the suburbs, I suppose, but then you'd also need to add in Buffalo and Albany as probable BDCs. Probably comes close to 50/50. But don't make the mistake of assuming that the whole rest of NYS is red, or likes guns; plenty of them are probably casual voters who don't really care about guns.

Ironically, it's a win-win for the politicians. They can pass anything they want: they know it'll get overturned, so they won't be responsible for the results. They're free to be as virtue-signally as they want, just like Hochul, and they can go back to their constituents as heroes.
Let them keep passing shit law.

How many people are in and around the city? I wonder what that number is. Then, I wonder how many people in the ENTIRE REST OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK. I would hope there are more in the latter category. Then, figure out how bad they want freedom, and how much money collectively each group has.

New York is like Illinois, the main city is a big share of the state population and that main city is 80% or more democrat. Cook county in Illinois is Chicago and some close suburbs, and they represent I believe 40% of the entire population of Illinois and vote 85% democrat. Take those votes and add in votes from other cities around the state and the 15% they may get in some small town, etc and that’s a winning number.

Similarly in NY, a democrat usually wins NYC and the surrounding counties by so much they only need a small number of votes fr9m the rest of the state.

Here in NY, all those top counties are NYC and the surrounding counties.

The NY governors race is very close in the polls right now which it should not be. A typical year would have the democrat win by 15% inflation and the economy is a factor everywhere but crime is a huge factor in NYC. NYC was safe from 1995-2017 and now it’s a hell hole. Rudy was elected because of crime and quality of life, the race this year is close to a toss up because NYC residents are scared and sick of the degrading quality of life.

He would have had a stroke if he knew that he was standing next to an armed Jew when he visited a local synagogue in MA many years ago. [laugh] One of our detectives and myself were the only armed folks in that building.

Koch probably wasn’t pro 2A at the end but he voted for bush in 2004 and was really left by the democrat party. He was never a crazy leftist and I think he’d be horrified by what the dems are now. The trans crap, defunding cops and not prosecuting crime, mass illegal immigration etc. he was a liberal more like joe Lieberman who was primaried for senate in 2006 after being the VP nominee. The dem party drift to extremism has been drastic

When you factor in the suburbs, westchester, Suffolk, etc it’s over 11 million of the 20 million in NYS. Obviously the suburbs are less democrat than NYC but they’re still probably at least 60-40 dem. Then add in other dem areas Syracuse, Albany, buffalo, Rochester and college towns like Ithaca And NYS is a very blue state.

this will be gold

I think the NJ bill is even worse than NY, I was following it some through FPC. NJ is in the 3rd circuit court of appeals, they’re more of a friendly 2A circuit than the 2nd NY is in so it’s not going to fare well in court.

There are a lot of synagogues who have armed security or armed members now after the attacks in Pittsburgh, SD, etc. some of them are part of the lawsuit and not happy about the law.

There really is a brain disconnect with democrats. Thinking making religious places, subways, etc gun free zones will make them safe. You can’t make those places more of a magnet for attacks than by making them gun free. The NY law makes it a felony to have a gun in those zones too.

Hopefully the courts crush these unconstitutional attempts but it may be necessary for SCOTUS to take another case before the all courts get it.

There really is a brain disconnect with democrats. Thinking making religious places, subways, etc gun free zones will make them safe. You can’t make those places more of a magnet for attacks than by making them gun free. The NY law makes it a felony to have a gun in those zones too.
That is not the purpose. The purpose is to undermine Bruen to the extent possible and make a NY carry permit for all practical purposes useless.

"Safety in churches" is not what they're after. "Control" is what they're after."

"We saw what they think of churches during the lockdowns, ok for rioting, not okay for churches."

BINGO!

That is not the purpose. The purpose is to undermine Bruen to the extent possible and make a NY carry permit for all practical purposes useless.

Absolutely. Houchul, bless her heart, and others in NY were very clear. The gave interviews and said if they had to issue licenses, they’d make everything a sensitive place and make the license impossible to use legally.

The fees, training course requirement, the cost of the training course, the complexity and time requirement of the licensing process, and everything else is headache and designed to be one. They know some won’t even want a license because the process is such a PITA then add in the million restrictions and they think few will want one.

A de facto ban by design

They don't care about safety in schools either.

The NY and the proposed NJ ones are set up felony traps. There are so many restricted areas a lot of people would violate those sensitive spaces without even knowing it.

Maryland has respected the NYSRPA decision thus far but hogan leaves in January and a democrat will be governor. Maryland has a very democrat legislature too so they can pass anything they want.

Absolutely. Houchul, bless her heart, and others in NY were very clear. The gave interviews and said if they had to issue licenses, they’d make everything a sensitive place and make the license impossible to use legally.

She’s going to end up doing a lot of good for RKBA, through her completely obvious and transparent overreach. Talk about a backfire…

She’s going to end up doing a lot of good for RKBA, through her completely obvious and transparent overreach. Talk about a backfire…

One of the lawyers involved in some of the California lawsuits and is associated with FPC and CRPA tweeted yesterday, if NY had a may issue scheme but wasn’t insanely restrictive as they were, SCOTUS probably would have never heard NYSRPA vs bruen. I agree with that. CA, NY and NJ are so over the top in their response to SCOTUS (and said their intent was to ignore SCOTUS) they’re going to get thumped again.

One of the lawyers involved in some of the California lawsuits and is associated with FPC and CRPA tweeted yesterday, if NY had a may issue scheme but wasn’t insanely restrictive as they were, SCOTUS probably would have never heard NYSRPA vs bruen. I agree with that. CA, NY and NJ are so over the top in their response to SCOTUS (and said their intent was to ignore SCOTUS) they’re going to get thumped again.

I can't help but think that these states know that they'll take a thumping from SCOTUS, and are already planning their next outrageous step(s) to keep kicking this de facto ban-can down the road indefinitely.

Frank

I can't help but think that these states know that they'll take a thumping from SCOTUS, and are already planning their next outrageous step(s) to keep kicking this de facto ban-can down the road indefinitely.

Frank

Houchul is a moron. She can’t plan her day never mind what you’re suggesting.

They’re going to have binding circuit and maybe SCOTUS court decisions which will dramatically limit anything they can do. They’re fools but they’re helping us strike down gun control, so get out of their way and enjoy the popcorn 🍿

Houchul is a moron. She can’t plan her day never mind what you’re suggesting.

They’re going to have binding circuit and maybe SCOTUS court decisions which will dramatically limit anything they can do. They’re fools but they’re helping us strike down gun control, so get out of their way and enjoy the popcorn 🍿
I always consider people, on either side, who use arguments like "The issue settled" (as did Houchul) or the classic "You know I am right" to be idiots.

The Newark star ledger is mighty upset the constitution applies in NJ. No clicks for them, just read the highlights in this Twitter thread.

My favorite is the guns everywhere from the death merchants of the NRA ha ha ha.

If NJ really believes the 3rd circuit and especially SCOTUS will uphold these asinine laws, they’re on drugs.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/2Aupdates/status/1584185274384674818

What is the current status in New York? Are Hochul's laws standing, stalled, or dead? Where are things headed? What are we waiting on now? Is anything due this coming week?

What is the current status in New York? Are Hochul's laws standing, stalled, or dead? Where are things headed? What are we waiting on now? Is anything due this coming week?
There are several cases making their way, attacking the many parts of the laws. The gears move slowly. The court doesn't drop what it's doing just because we feel aggrieved.

If you don't like the youtubers, your best bet will be to personally research what the cases are and track their progress. Maybe you could even post your ticker here...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom