• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

Does the law actually have an exemption for historic reenactors as the Gov claims, or is this BS. Someone who knows the law please respond.

Another great example of economic victims of stupid gun laws .....

USPSA, and other orgs, had many major matches (Nationals level in which hundreds of competitors of staff fly in and rent hotel rooms and spend money locally) scheduled at the Cameo complex near Grand Junction, Colorado . It came to light that the high cap magazine ban exemption did not include all competitors, people started noticing and the strategy of "just let this sly under the radar and ignore the law" was no longer workable.

The CO exemption is "personally owned and possessed before the CO ban limiting mags to 15 rounds". Hard when many mags were made by companies formed since the ban, or competitors in their early to mid 20s. So, an competition exemption was introduced in the CO House. Cease Fire CO was all over it like a cheap suit, offered testimony demanding these "mags that have killed many children" not be allowed in, and the bill was defeated in committee.

So, numerous orgs including but not limited to USPSA, IDPA, a Bench Rest Org cancelled matches at Cameo and other Colorado ranges. The USPSA match cancellations alone was probably on the order of a couple of thousand room-nights for a city with a population of about 65,000.

Does the law actually have an exemption for historic reenactors as the Gov claims, or is this BS. Someone who knows the law please respond.

Lol. Nobody "knows the law." It was passed in secrecy and haste, and evidently even the Hochul administration doesn't even know what's in it.

My guess is that they really didn't mean to prosecute reenactors, but didn't write in a specific carve-out. So the reenactors, being slightly FUDDy and mostly upstanding citizens with NO INTEREST in breaking any laws, as well as understandably nervous about getting their expensive replicas seized, are being overcautious.

Lol. Nobody "knows the law." It was passed in secrecy and haste, and evidently even the Hochul administration doesn't even know what's in it.

My guess is that they really didn't mean to prosecute reenactors, but didn't write in a specific carve-out. So the reenactors, being slightly FUDDy and mostly upstanding citizens with NO INTEREST in breaking any laws, as well as understandably nervous about getting their expensive replicas seized, are being overcautious.

Not to sound too much like a dick but tough tits, it doesn't matter who they didn't mean to include. It's time everybody feels the laws that are being written without any carve-outs wether for historical presentations, law enforcement, security for the law makers and the law makers themselves.

Hoe-chill is a hoe. Gosh she's a c-word.

It's like Maura's edicts. "Yeah, you can't have an AW. Except .22. If you have a .22, there is no law at all. None. You can do whatever to it. Because I said so."

In case you haven’t guessed it by looking at that lineup of speakers, the firearms law center at Duke is not, in any way, objective about firearms law. They are very pro gun control.
And check the lineup for the Keynote - that is as biased as a panel can get, with Volokh added as the token gun apologist.

Last week, the Supreme Court made us all profoundly less safe by weakening New York’s century old gun licensing laws. We know that more guns leads to more violence, and while we can’t completely undo the damage done, this slate of legislation meets the moment and demonstrates that the New York fight against gun violence in a daunting post-Bruen world is strong. Nothing is more important than combatting gun violence. My office has been engaged in conversations with the Governor and her team, as well as legislative staff over the past several days to help craft this legislation. These much-needed measures are an important step forward to keep guns out of our schools and sensitive places, enhance our firearms licensing requirements and much more.”

Senator Zellnor Y. Myrie (D-Central Brooklyn) released the following statement on today's Supreme Court decision, overturning New York's concealed carry law for firearms. "Today's decision by the Court leaves New York less safe by removing common-sense restrictions on gun possession. In the midst of a nationwide surge in gun violence— mass shootings that make the front page, and daily tragedies that don't— it's clear we need more, not fewer, barriers between deadly weapons and the people intent on violence. This ruling has the very real potential to make guns as commonplace as iPhones on in our streets, parks and subways. "New Yorkers should know that my colleagues and I are prepared to do whatever is necessary to keep them safe and prevent gun violence from spiraling further out of control. I believe we must respond to this ruling with new legislation in short order."

“Steven Wu, who heads the district attorney’s appeals division and will lead a review of the ruling, said the most pressing concern for a densely populated environment is that many more weapons could be “floating around the city.”
A specific response will depend on the scope of the decision, he said, but law enforcement and elected officials are already considering new regulations that could be passed consistent with any ruling. “We want to be ready,” Wu said.

Instead of worrying about first person shooter games perhaps when the cops pick up a guy carrying around a bag of dead cats he gets sectioned or whatever they do in texas for a "different person"

Wasn't Lexington reenactment canceled one year because of the AWB and bayonets?

with a little clever editing this document could be used and reused for everything in the world to get the FTC to investigate everything! cars in the household can crash, knives can cut, toasters can electrocuit, stoves can burn, ropes can hang, pills can OD, crockpots can catch fire, i can go on and on!!

I would be.
Maybe we'll arrest you , maybe we won't .
Come on down and find out.

I would be.
Maybe we'll arrest you , maybe we won't .
Come on down and find out.
Yup. I'm not blaming them either.

And who suffers? NY suffers. The little municipalities, who promised the locals a nice Civil War show and couldn't deliver? Let them explain why they can't have Frontier Daze this year, or whatever.

And who suffers? NY suffers. The little municipalities, who promised the locals a nice Civil War show and couldn't deliver? Let them explain why they can't have Frontier Daze this year, or whatever.
You kidding? Mission accomplished for the Karens. They are against guns and fighting. The less, the better, for them. They are winning this battle, that's for sure.

I recall one year when they didn't preform with muskets that was bizarre.

Oh I would have had a FIELD DAY with that one as a reenactor. I'd star with yelling BANG really loud while pointing my hands like I was holding a musket. By about 15 min in, I'd be RATATATATAT'ing a Tommy Gun and hucking imaginary grenades at the British lines. If the state is gonna go full stupid, you gotta go full stupid just to show how dumb they really are.

As far as this letter - how nice for you. Now go away!

Whose to say they won't ignore the new case also?
Once the new law that they passed gets shot down, I believe they will follow the ruling.

SCOTUS did not lay out exactly what would and would not be reasonable in terms of sensitive places. They made it clear that defining all of Manhattan as a sensitive place was a no-go. So NY passed a law that is stupidly stretching the boundaries of reasonableness. I predict they will get smacked down.

SCOTUS rarely makes a decision that precisely says what is and what isn’t acceptable. It often takes additional court cases to define exactly where the line lies. NY State went overboard with their new law and they will get their peepee slapped as a result.

Last edited:
Once the new law that they passed gets shot down, I believe they will follow the ruling.

SCOTUS did not lay out exactly what would and would not be reasonable in terms of sensitive places. They made it clear that defining all of Manhattan as a sensitive place was a no-go. So NY passed a law that is stupidly stretching the boundaries of reasonableness. I predict they will get smacked down.

SCOTUS rarely makes a decision that precisely says what is and what isn’t acceptable. It often takes additional court cases to define exactly where the line lies. NY State went overboard with their new law and they will get their peepee slapped as a result.
And NY will give the court's the finger and continue their anti-gun ways. Will Dementia Joe send in US Marshall's to arrest NY pols and DA's who enforce NY's NEW anti-gun laws.

And NY will give the court's the finger and continue their anti-gun ways. Will Dementia Joe send in US Marshall's to arrest NY pols and DA's who enforce NY's NEW anti-gun laws.
I doubt that. The law will get smacked down. They may try passing another law that is more limited and roll the dice again.

Back
Top Bottom