Suitable person?

Suitable person?

I have read that term used on this forum and it seems to refer to a person that is suitable to own or posses a firearm. Where does that term come from? Is it a legal term or something that is just in common use?

Chapter 140, Section 131 (d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:

Chapter 140, Section 131 (d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:

I assume that you are quoting MA law. Is that the place it originated? Is it in common use elsewhere?

The term seems vague to me and is open to subjective application.

You mean IS vague right?

It is an open door to blatant discrimination by the issuing authority and in effect, requires a citizen to prove his worth in this world to another person who holds bogus authority over him.

Suitable person?

I have read that term used on this forum and it seems to refer to a person that is suitable to own or posses a firearm. Where does that term come from? Is it a legal term or something that is just in common use?

Suitable is just a word that the chief of police can use anyway he or she see's fit, it really means nothing. When I first applied for my LTC 35 years ago, I was a suitable person to carry 24/7. 8 years later I was unsuitable to carry 24/7. Four years later I became a suitable person once again. When I renewed again, you guessed it, UNSUITABLE to carry 24/7. Today I am again a suitable person.

Back
Top Bottom